What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmancraigy

Coach
He could, but that money also isn't guaranteed and if he loses it's a lot of money to throw away. I'd imagine both parties would move on if the offer was made.

I'm a bit lost now...

So then why would the club just give him money if there's the chance they won't have to pay him anything?

I realize the easy solution here is for the club to say 'Here is $x - now drop it and rack off' - but one wonders if perhaps that approach has been tried already? Is Hoppa (or his manager) not happy with the $x? It certainly seems like they want the whole hog, hence going to court over it. But then again it might be that the club has a very low number in mind, and won't budge on that?

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm a bit lost now...

So then why would the club just give him money if there's the chance they won't have to pay him anything?

I realize the easy solution here is for the club to say 'Here is $x - now drop it and rack off' - but one wonders if perhaps that approach has been tried already? Is Hoppa (or his manager) not happy with the $x? It certainly seems like they want the whole hog, hence going to court over it. But then again it might be that the club has a very low number in mind, and won't budge on that?

Who knows

oldmancraigy

Coach
Have you ever taken out an insurance policy?

Yeah, and if the club is scared they might have pursued the pay out and rack off route. I have no issue with that being an option.
But I am really asking Chipmunk why Hoppa would sudenly be happy with a settlement (having taken the thing to court already) where the Eels make up the difference in a new contract (or why the Eels would be). Obviously tryimg to negotiate has failed, hence the courts being involved

carson

Juniors
Yeah, and if the club is scared they might have pursued the pay out and rack off route. I have no issue with that being an option.
But I am really asking Chipmunk why Hoppa would sudenly be happy with a settlement (having taken the thing to court already) where the Eels make up the difference in a new contract (or why the Eels would be). Obviously tryimg to negotiate has failed, hence the courts being involved

Maybe the court move was a bluff on their behalf...maybe they have worked out that a case like this would probably drag on for a year or more and even if they won they would never receive back the full costs of the exercise...maybe after 2 years out, followed by 2 fairly unproductive years at the Eels, taking a club to court might make negotiating a decent contract with any club in the future very difficult...or maybe he just went to court to visit his brother and old man only to find out that these matters would not be held in a criminal court.

Very rarely does either party want to really go to court in these contract matters because then only the lawyers win. The court thing was just a tactic to up the offer on hand...

Gronk

Staff member
Maybe the court move was a bluff on their behalf...maybe they have worked out that a case like this would probably drag on for a year or more and even if they won they would never receive back the full costs of the exercise...maybe after 2 years out, followed by 2 fairly unproductive years at the Eels, taking a club to court might make negotiating a decent contract with any club in the future very difficult...or maybe he just went to court to visit his brother and old man only to find out that these matters would not be held in a criminal court.

Very rarely does either party want to really go to court in these contract matters because then only the lawyers win. The court thing was just a tactic to up the offer on hand...

Harsh mate. It costs a lot of money to maintain a barristers lifestyle you know.

10af98b14a8a58ce04ae67296d85c8ee.jpg

lingard

Coach
I think Jeff Robson has joined the Warriors. Will place immense pressure on Johnson.

Good on Robson for extending his career. Just quietly, I'll bet Johnson has a stellar year. Robson has a way of positively influencing his halves partners (Mortimer, Carney, Bird).

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Good on Robson for extending his career. Just quietly, I'll bet Johnson has a stellar year. Robson has a way of positively influencing his halves partners (Mortimer, Carney, Bird).

It's the exact sort of player that the Warriors' spine needed, outside of getting Foran or Cronk it is the best possible option for them and I now consider them a genuine premiership threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts