What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfella

Coach
So does he. His career is going bad enough playing for Berkley. He doesn't want to get tied up with SuperCoach again or he'll end up in Siberia

Noise

Coach
His career should never have begun. Poor hands. Poor defense. Never showed improvement. I remember watching him in a trial in 2011 against the Tigers and he had poor hands. Stayed with him all year. Some blokes just can't catch.

Kind of like Terepo

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Technical skills are the easiest to improve. Lasalo's physicality is the reason he was signed by Anderson in '09 and again by Kearney in 2011. He was only 22 at that stage and should have had plenty of improvement in him. Anyway he would have been cheap so no big risk. Arthur brought him into the squad in 2014 for a single game, whereas in 2012 he picked him in the final three games of the season. Eventually you have to give up on a stagnating player but 22 is probably a bit young if he ticks all the boxes physically.

Noise

Coach
I'm not disagreeing with you re. Technical skills being easy to improve, but why dont guys like Lasalo and more recently Terepo seem to improve? I doubt it is a coaching issue. Do they just not have it?

Rhyno

First Grade
Bennett talking about Kearney becoming a nrl coach

“He just needs to pick a good club next time, but I think he can certainly coach the Broncos. Steve has that ability".

Noise

Coach
Bennett talking about Kearney becoming a nrl coach

“He just needs to pick a good club next time, but I think he can certainly coach the Broncos. Steve has that ability".

Guys like Kearney don't get to pick which clubs they go to. They try to take whatever is available.

And Weren't Bennetts recent recommendations Henjak and Potter?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If Kearney had some patience he could've gotten the Storm job when Bellamy retired but he took the risk coming to Parra and now his reputation is shot. It's hard to get player buy-in when that's the case. Stuart had enough coaching experience in the bank that he could recover from his stint here, plus the Raiders love him. I actually thought they overachieved this year and I expect they will do well in 2016.

I'm not disagreeing with you re. Technical skills being easy to improve, but why dont guys like Lasalo and more recently Terepo seem to improve? I doubt it is a coaching issue. Do they just not have it?

I suspect you're right. But it's likely that this sort of thing isn't something that can be detected early on.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Technical skills are the easiest to improve. Lasalo's physicality is the reason he was signed by Anderson in '09 and again by Kearney in 2011. He was only 22 at that stage and should have had plenty of improvement in him. Anyway he would have been cheap so no big risk. Arthur brought him into the squad in 2014 for a single game, whereas in 2012 he picked him in the final three games of the season. Eventually you have to give up on a stagnating player but 22 is probably a bit young if he ticks all the boxes physically.

Correct. Hands like feet.

writing-books-feet-for-hands.jpg

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Every club has similar players that just don't kick on and go the next level. Some players just don't have the ability to go to the next level.

Let's not forget footy at NRL level is at an amazingly high level and as much as we bag players just to play a NRL is a great achievement and most players that do play a game would have been pretty freaky juniors.

On Lasalo he will probably kill it in the Illawarra Carlton league next year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he players a few games for the Dragons reserve grade side, the Cutters.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I really don't think Kearney was that bad with us, our squad was pretty f**ken terrible. His biggest mistake was probably recruiting the Tonga brothers / Sandow and Roberts (as much as agreed at the time they were good signings). Probably with hindsight he should have looked at some players which provided better leadership and kept Robbo.

He also pretty much didn't have Hayne for his second year.

84 Baby

Referee
Guys like Kearney don't get to pick which clubs they go to. They try to take whatever is available.

Steve Price another one of his?

He's like Sterlo's assessments of halfbacks

Noise

Coach
Steve Price another one of his?

He's like Sterlo's assessments of halfbacks

Yea I meant Price. Fingers crossed Sterlo hasn't put the kiss of death on Foran. I also remember after we beat souths early in the year Sterlo claimed we would make the finals . Poor bastard keeps putting the mocker on us

Kornstar

Coach
I really don't think Kearney was that bad with us, our squad was pretty f**ken terrible. His biggest mistake was probably recruiting the Tonga brothers / Sandow and Roberts (as much as agreed at the time they were good signings). Probably with hindsight he should have looked at some players which provided better leadership and kept Robbo.

He also pretty much didn't have Hayne for his second year.

His coaching was uninspiring imo. Off the field he seemed to have a plan and the right people in the right places but on the field the players looked lost the entire time, like they never trained together at all.

I feel for Hindy most of all, what a shit way for a legend of the club to end his career!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The players looked lost because we had zero go-forward. That means the defence was able to get up quickly and limit our options. And merkins had the hide to complain about 'one out shit up the middle'. Whenever we tried to go wide it was even worse.

oldmancraigy

Coach
His coaching was uninspiring imo. Off the field he seemed to have a plan and the right people in the right places but on the field the players looked lost the entire time, like they never trained together at all.

I feel for Hindy most of all, what a shit way for a legend of the club to end his career!

They looked ok his first year - but seemed like they needed a bit of direction inside the 20. We lacked a genuine playmaker who could create in the halves.
2012 it was obvious Kearney lost confidence in his own plan, and that translated into the players looking tentative. He also tried a few pretty dumb things, then brought in Chris Anderson as coaching director. Oh dear.

The bigger issue for Kearney wasn't the ability to put together a coherent game plan, it was managing a club. He's admitted himself he was out of his depth on that front, and he threw big bucks at crap players - in a sense it was good, because he was backing himself to bring them good, but then again, no matter how much lipstick you put on the pig, it will always be a pig (ie, Lussick got paid like an Origin forward, and played like a fringe first grader - 1 good game every 2 months).

Feel slightly sorry for the bloke, but pretty happy that he gave us a stunned mullet shot we could put alongside the Hages and Ricky ones... :lol:

oldmancraigy

Coach

Bennett has to coach against these guys, as if he wants someone good to be in charge of another club.

Status
Not open for further replies.