What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I definitely think the cows do.

Inside centre is now edge forward

The Cowboys play Thurston in the middle (though he defends on the left) with Morgan on the right and Coote on the left. These highlights are a good illustration of their structure: http://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2015/08/01/rd_21_cowboys_v_raidershls.html

Contrast this with Manly who play(ed) Foran left and DCE right. On long shifts they would play first receiver on their own side, passing to the other guy at second receiver. Fullback Stewart floats to either side. Again, these highlights show their structure well: http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2015/08/01/rd_21_sea_eaglesvbroncoshls.html

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sort of......

The old inside centre could also function as a 2nd pivot (i.e. why the Kiwis call the position 2nd 5/8th in rugby). Blokes like Ma'u certainly play some of the role of the old IC, but they don't often play a pivot role. Cronin was great at every part of the role.

The old inside centre, like the five-eighth, played at a time when it was easy to create space on a long open side. So they had more space to work in. Modern edge forwards have far less room to work in than the inside centre of yore.

yy_cheng

Coach
The crow played like an edge forward nowadays

He used to run into the line, stand and offload to zipzip who is the edge centre nowadays.

yy_cheng

Coach
The Cowboys play Thurston in the middle (though he defends on the left) with Morgan on the right and Coote on the left. These highlights are a good illustration of their structure: http://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2015/08/01/rd_21_cowboys_v_raidershls.html

Contrast this with Manly who play(ed) Foran left and DCE right. On long shifts they would play first receiver on their own side, passing to the other guy at second receiver. Fullback Stewart floats to either side. Again, these highlights show their structure well: http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2015/08/01/rd_21_sea_eaglesvbroncoshls.html

BTW I was replying to oa's post that there rea!ly is no 5/8th and half nowadays.

the cows i believe plays close to the old formatiom

Gronk

Staff member
Meanwhile, the Wildcats have torn up the contract of former Eels and Sharks half Tim Smith.
The 30-year-old was dismissed for gross misconduct.
The move follows Smith’s appearance in court where he was banned from driving for 28 months and fined STG900 ($A2000) after admitting to failing to provide a specimen following a car crash in Hull last month. He was also fined STG600 ($A1300) for careless driving.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/england-bound-robert-lui-leaves-door-ajar-for-nrl-return-exile-files/story-fni3g0bn-1227558504975?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20dailytelegraphnrlndm%20%28Daily%20Telegraph%20%7C%20NRL%29

parra pete

Referee
Poor old Tim can't seem to take a trick..At what point of your life do you think..
"Maybe I am at the Last Chance Saloon..I'd better wake up to myself, otherwise I could end up having to get a REAL job?"

Needs help poor buggar...

Gronk

Staff member
Poor old Tim can't seem to take a trick..At what point of your life do you think..
"Maybe I am at the Last Chance Saloon..I'd better wake up to myself, otherwise I could end up having to get a REAL job?"

Needs help poor buggar...

He's got a wife and a bub now IIRC. :(

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They still managed to mention the fact that he was a former Eel, DT never let a chance like that slip

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
BTW I was replying to oa's post that there rea!ly is no 5/8th and half nowadays.

the cows i believe plays close to the old formatiom

Yeah they do. I can absolutely cop that Thurston is the sole halfback in the Cowboys' structure, and I agree that Morgan is pretty close to the traditional five-eighth role, even though he plays on only one side of the field, and has another player (Coote) playing the same role on the other side.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Coote wraps outside Morgan as well.
They are a bit weird - Thurston is mainly left, like 70% modern 30% traditional (at least in my way of seeing it)
Looks to me like Morgan and Coote play the modern fullback role in the main, maybe they are inside and outside fullbacks???

They are a bit weird - Thurston is mainly left, like 70% modern 30% traditional (at least in my way of seeing it)
Looks to me like Morgan and Coote play the modern fullback role in the main, maybe they are inside and outside fullbacks???

Don't even think about stealing my 3 fullback formation OMC.

yy_cheng

Coach

Really? I tend to see Granville and the other hooker sending it to jt on either side besides forward plays from dummy half

Sometimes there is passing between the forwards before going to jt

oldmancraigy

Coach
Really? I tend to see Granville and the other hooker sending it to jt on either side besides forward plays from dummy half

Sometimes there is passing between the forwards before going to jt

They go straight to Morgan on the right sometimes, with Coote wrapping around. But they try and isolate Morgans defender, get him 1 on 1 with the slower guy so he can use his pace to skip to the outside, and then set up the pass, or just go.

But that is just sometimes.
I reckon I watched maybe 8 Cows games, so I could be waaaaay off?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Don't even think about stealing my 3 fullback formation OMC.

Well wingers are back for kicks, so I don't know why we call them wingers? So oldschool. Should be lefy, right, and central fullbacks? Or if the wingers are only back for kicks, they could be left and right halfback? Or quarterbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts