What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfella

Coach
Funnily enough the only poster I've seen who knows what he is on is jodeci and he suggested that Morgan was on quite a bit more than people were inventing on here.

Not sure how you'd say "it would appear" when people are just making shit up.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Absolutely. It appears he is now on genuine back up money. Another huge well done to those involved. Good pick up BF.

I doubt he would be on much different than he was on. The circumstances of his re-signing are the same. Why would his money be any different?

Gazzamatta

Coach
I doubt he would be on much different than he was on. The circumstances of his re-signing are the same. Why would his money be any different?

Just reading between the lines Poo.
Seward commented that both he and Terepo were on large money. Initially Morgan was signed when he was recognised as a future star by Kearney who had a very high opinion of him. Parra have also often been guilty of paying overs for potential.
The difference is every club now knows what Morgan offers and it appeared no one else wanted him. I reckon hes on minimum from 2016 now that we finally have some smarts about our recruitment and retention. Maybe Im dreamin but it keep me happy.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Difference is at the time of his last re-signing he was younger, had played more games the previous year and could have been seen by Ricky Stuart to be a long-term first grade option. There could have been more teams interested in a 23-year old outside back who still could improve to be a solid first grade player rather than a 25 year old who's probably at his best and is a back-up option, which he was this year as our starting centres were Takairangi and Champion.

I'm pretty sure that both Loko and Morgan would have been seen as the long-term centres at the club in 2013 and that's why they were both signed to contracts above what they were actually playing like.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Funnily enough the only poster I've seen who knows what he is on is jodeci and he suggested that Morgan was on quite a bit more than people were inventing on here.

Not sure how you'd say "it would appear" when people are just making shit up.

Now Jodeci is your font of all truth? When did you start believing anything that small time politician had to say?

Oh that's right - when it supported your biases.

Bigfella

Coach
He was playing Origin this year as well you fool. :lol:

You are as dishonest as you are stupid.

His resigning was announced well before origin 1.

He was resigned on fullback money despite you and our club being the only people who still thought he was a fullback's arsehole.

And he has only been an origin player on injury and maiy as a winger filling in.

But you wouldn't understand that either. You are so busy looking for "positives" you don't care about facts or the truth.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Just reading between the lines Poo.
Seward commented that both he and Terepo were on large money.

No he didn't, and this is where you merkins continue to misreport comments to suit your biases.

Seward said nothing about how much they are on, instead Michael Chammas made that statement in an article where he did quote Seward.

Now, I concede Morgan (and Terepo) was probably in the top 17 paid players at the club, but in a squad with Hayne, Sandow, Hopoate, Norman, Peats and Watmough, we would have had a lot of our cap concentrated in the top handful of players, meaning the 17th highest paid player at the club wouldn't have been on much more than the 25th highest paid player at the club.

As for Morgan, I'd say he was on somewhere between $100k and $200k, which reflects his value. I reckon he would still be getting paid inside the same range.

Initially Morgan was signed when he was recognised as a future star by Kearney who had a very high opinion of him. Parra have also often been guilty of paying overs for potential.

Morgan was already at the club when Kearney arrived. While it's true that Kearney extended him in 2011 (proof here for the whinging f**king idiots), it was only after ten first grade games. There's no way he would have been on big money then.

Morgan's current contract value was agreed in 2013 under Ricky Stuart (proof for the whingers) - the same Ricky Stuart who finished ahead of us this year.

The difference is every club now knows what Morgan offers and it appeared no one else wanted him.

And you think they wanted him in 2013 when he was playing for a team running last?

I reckon hes on minimum from 2016 now that we finally have some smarts about our recruitment and retention. Maybe Im dreamin but it keep me happy.

I don't think he's on much either - but I also don't think he was on much before. Were we more desperate in 2013? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean we would have had to pay overs to keep a player that was easily replaced. IMO Morgan is definitely inside the top 25 next year, and possibly still inside the top 17, but if he is it wouldn't be by much.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Difference is at the time of his last re-signing he was younger, had played more games the previous year and could have been seen by Ricky Stuart to be a long-term first grade option. There could have been more teams interested in a 23-year old outside back who still could improve to be a solid first grade player rather than a 25 year old who's probably at his best and is a back-up option, which he was this year as our starting centres were Takairangi and Champion.

I'm pretty sure that both Loko and Morgan would have been seen as the long-term centres at the club in 2013 and that's why they were both signed to contracts above what they were actually playing like.

I think Loko was seen as a long term option, and he is absolutely the kind of player who gets big bucks for potential - the Bulldogs saw fit to take a similar risk (though with us paying some freight). But Morgan isn't the kind of player that clubs take big money risks on. Instead he is an insurance type player - cheap enough that you can play him in reserves when better centres are available but good enough that he can play 20 games in first grade when necessary. Also works hard and keeps his nose clean, and therefore contributes to the right type of culture.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Goodness Poo. Settle Gretel. Told you it makes me happy to think as I do. Give an old man some happiness. Lol.
You are one thorough SOB. Lol

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You are as dishonest as you are stupid.

His resigning was announced well before origin 1.

Right, so while he was a current Origin player.

He was resigned on fullback money despite you and our club being the only people who still thought he was a fullback's arsehole.

I'm sure he still sees himself as a fullback - he is far too skillful for the outside backs.

And he has only been an origin player on injury and maiy as a winger filling in.

But you wouldn't understand that either. You are so busy looking for "positives" you don't care about facts or the truth.

I care about them, I just don't go on about the negatives. The fact and truth is that Will Hopoate is still a current Origin player who carried injury all year. The fact is we replaced him with a more experienced fullback and don't need to pay fullback's money for a centre, which is why we've decided we don't need him. I reckon there's a good chance he will play fullback at his next club, and when fit he will carve up. We are losing a good player.

I also think that we have probably got Gutherson cheap next year (and by cheap I reckon no more than $200k) but will be paying him so much in 2017 that he will almost have to be our fullback.

So as you can see, I recognise every silver lining has a cloud. I just don't want to be the useless whiny merkin who goes on an on about it. ;-)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Goodness Poo. Settle Gretel. Told you it makes me happy to think as I do. Give an old man some happiness. Lol.
You are one thorough SOB. Lol

Well mate I said I agree with you that Morgan isn't on much. Surely that makes you happy. So why do you need to think that previous administrations overpaid for him? Why would that make you any happier?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Pou, the one flaw in your reasoning is that SK splashed cash at crap players based on future potential.... he may have done the same with Morgs?
But whatever wrong he did, Ricky re-signed him after the projector thing, so one might expect he is getting less?
I hope he is under 140k now... not worth more than that. There are plenty of average defensive centres who can't pass, but who have 50+ games FG experience available every year.

Bigfella

Coach
Intellectual dishonesty at its best.

Almost every statement embedded with speculation or opinion couched as fact, and misquoting and misrepresentation.

Lying so much to try to "win" an argument on an Internet forum.

I think avenger's diagnosis of "sad" is spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.