What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

caylo

Bench
And why isn't Foran 'too valuable at five-eight'? What can Norman not do that stops us from going:

6. Foran
7. Norman

For the record I agree that Foran will wear 7. But I also think they will play the exact same role on opposite sides of the field, as do most halves pairings.
I think they will play very similar to a Milford, hunt combo with foran being a traditional 5-8 and norman playing more first receiver similar to how he did with sandow. I think Norman will take on a lot more general kicking duties while foran will be our go to man in attack, two plays off the ruck though to get him more one on one. While both are 5/8, like Thurston when he was younger, i think they are both capable of being a halfback unlike someone like Reynolds or Bird. For that reason i do think they may alternate between first and second receiver but foran will be our 6 (irrespective of what number he wears). I also think foran will be a left side and norman right side but there will be plenty of overlap in play with foran raping around on the rhs and vise versa. So not a ssplit halves in the true sense

Over how many games are you basing this assessment? And do you think Hasler misjudged his players' ability when he kept Mbye over Hodkinson?

Over enough to think my opinion is correct, as it is just an opinion the evidence would agree with me because Des almosy always picked hodkinson over MBye or Reynolds when fit even when he was arguably out of form. So considering coaches are all knowing im correct. Also there is more than talent that decides who stays, of the three i think I would keep MBye first because he has the highest ceiling but Reynolds has a contract and they couldn't keep 3 big money halves on their books.

lingard

Coach
They've always been called halves but there used to be a distinction. These days coaches are looking for the same skill set in both players, so they can operate independently on their respective edges.

The fact is the modern game is very different to how it was even 25 years ago when I first started studying the game. If that's the case then it doesn't matter what it was like before that.

Incremental changes (e.g. the six tackle rule, full-time professionalism, the salary cap, player salaries compared to those in wider society, improved ground maintenance, changes in technology and sports science) have had massive snowballing effects on the way the game is played, changing the effectiveness of tactics and strategy over time. This has led to a demand for different types of players with different skillsets.

The game has demonstrably changed in 25 years. If it's changed in 25 then it has changed in fifty, lingard. It is logically impossible for it not to have changed in fifty years if it has changed in less time than that.

:lol::lol::lol:
You know very well that I know very well that the game has changed. But not as much as you'd like to think. There are still a lot of aspects to the game that haven't changed.

lingard

Coach
Agreed lingard, and yet the club are happy to have both of them at the club in lieu of a 'halfback'.

Is that because he's shorter? Or because he 'steers the team around the park'?

Come on, mate. You don't really think I'm stupid. I know you look on me as being one of the 'intellectuals' on here. :lol::lol::lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
I just so happened to run into the head coach recently and asked him the question current,y on everyone's lips.... His answer was as follows

Foran - right
Norman - left

Fanbase

Juniors
And how do you tell who's who? By the number on their back?

In good teams the halfback is the go to man in attack and the five eight is the secondary go to man. Halfback has the number 7 jumper and five eight has the number 6 jumper. That should make it easier for you to understand.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I just so happened to run into the head coach recently and asked him the question current,y on everyone's lips.... His answer was as follows

Foran - right
Norman - left

I thought so for a couple of reasons, being the combinations Norman has already formed with Radradra, Takairangi and Ma'u, and also because Foran is the right footer of the two.

The argument for Foran on the left is his much vaster experience on that side than Norman.

Foran in 7 is a no-brainer - he will play on the right (where most number 7s play) and Norman already wears the 6.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In good teams the halfback is the go to man in attack and the five eight is the secondary go to man. Halfback has the number 7 jumper and five eight has the number 6 jumper. That should make it easier for you to understand.

Yet Corey Norman has never worn the 7 jersey since he got here, regardless of who did. For two years now he has been our primary playmaker, and appears to do most of the talking. If anyone was our 'halfback' it is Corey Norman, and the 6 is just a jersey number. Same as jersey 7.

f**k I hope BA just picks Foran in #11 and Norman in #12 (and then plays them in the halves). Then again, we'd get the argument as to who is playing left edge forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

strider

Post Whore
I still say Foran only played on the left cos he had other quite dominant halves who preferred the right in his team

Stagger eel

Staff member
f**k I hope BA just picks Foran in #11 and Norman in #12 (and then plays them in the halves). Then again, we'd get the argument as to who is playing left edge forward.

Nah give them the 8 and 10 jersey respectively and watch everyone lose their shit... It'll be worth it

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Foran - right
Norman - left

But that doesn't answer the burning question. Which one will be the halfback and which one will be the five-eighth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts