What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
f**k I hope BA just picks Foran in #11 and Norman in #12 (and then plays them in the halves). Then again, we'd get the argument as to who is playing left edge forward.

You're probably right. There's actually no reason the coach can't number the team however he wants within 1-17. Maybe the rusted-on fans would piss and moan? They like to know that Darren Lockyer is the five-eighth, even though he is the bloke getting all the ball at first receiver, and that Glenn Stewart plays lock (even though he plays on one side of the field exactly like most second rowers). Or how about the fact that Tapau and Taumalolo absolutely aren't front rowers because they wear jersey 13! Only a lock would wear jersey 13; you can see him at the back of the scrum! (or not)

We can see who is playing edge forward and who is not by looking at where they line up on the field (especially in defence when players adhere more closely to their positions). This is how we know that Tepai Moeroa finishes a game at prop/lock/middle forward with Pauli Pauli at right edge forward. Their jersey numbers (12 and 14 respectively) are irrelevant after substitutions are made. Why should they be deterministic at kickoff?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I still say Foran only played on the left cos he had other quite dominant halves who preferred the right in his team

Yeah that's probably how it started. Being a right footer he might have preferred the right side but it was already taken (by Orford I think it was). Thereafter he was continually partnered by a succession of better long kickers who were also right footers. There was no reason to move him, plus he formed combinations with existing left side players, particularly Matai.

Also, f**k you merkin.

lingard

Coach
And why isn't Foran 'too valuable at five-eight'? What can Norman not do that stops us from going:

6. Foran
7. Norman

For the record I agree that Foran will wear 7. But I also think they will play the exact same role on opposite sides of the field, as do most halves pairings.

Well ...... um ...... there wasn't any suggestion that Foran should play fullback. :sarcasm:

oldmancraigy

Coach
I just so happened to run into the head coach recently and asked him the question current,y on everyone's lips.... His answer was as follows

Foran - right
Norman - left

Very interesting!
The foot thing makes a lot of sense, it is normally the deciding factor in which half plays which side. But even so, i had expected Foran to play left because that is where he has had a superb career to date. No doubt he can do the same on the right, and Norman has been great with our left side the last 2 seasons.

Thanks Staggs

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
With Foran on the right, I reckon will take a lot of pressure of our left side attack. Foran/Gordon should ensure our right attack is a lot more dangerous next year.

strider

Post Whore
Yeah that's probably how it started. Being a right footer he might have preferred the right side but it was already taken (by Orford I think it was). Thereafter he was continually partnered by a succession of better long kickers who were also right footers. There was no reason to move him, plus he formed combinations with existing left side players, particularly Matai.

Also, f**k you merkin.

love to you too mate

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
With Foran on the right, I reckon will take a lot of pressure of our left side attack. Foran/Gordon should ensure our right attack is a lot more dangerous next year.

Not to mention our improved defence. Scott, Foran and any other two blokes is a literal brick wall.

Yes I meant figurative.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I just so happened to run into the head coach recently and asked him the question current,y on everyone's lips.... His answer was as follows

Foran - right
Norman - left

That's very interesting!

I, too, ran into the coach - he bought paint from me again.

He's a top bloke.

I think we are a couple of outside backs short of winning the premiership next season. I'm
Very confident and haven't been this conformist for a long time. Only thing holding us back is another speedy 3/4 and quality winger.

bartman

Immortal
I think we are a couple of outside backs short of winning the premiership next season. I'm
Very confident and haven't been this conformist for a long time.
Only thing holding us back is another speedy 3/4 and quality winger.
Glad you've started to feel more agreeable lately Jake! ;-)

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Very confident and haven't been this conformist for a long time. Only thing holding us back is another speedy 3/4 and quality winger.

What's wrong with our centres for next year? Indivdually they might not be the best but Taka was part of the most potent attacking side in the competition this season and if he stays fit then his defence will get better. Gutherson is an unknown quantity but was good enough to crack one of the steongest backlines in the competition when he was 19 so there's potential there, with an injury free season he could develop into a solid first grade player by the end of next year.

As for a right side winger as long as they don't get rag-dolled when bringing the ball back and position themselves well in defence we'll be alright. If our premiership hopes rest on a right side winger then we've got bigger problems. We already have one winger that is the best in the comp we just need one that fits well. That could even be promoting from within. I wouldn't put it past one of our young backs to make the step-up especially with another off-season training with the first grade squad.

What's wrong with our centres for next year? Indivdually they might not be the best but Taka was part of the most potent attacking side in the competition this season and if he stays fit then his defence will get better. Gutherson is an unknown quantity but was good enough to crack one of the steongest backlines in the competition when he was 19 so there's potential there, with an injury free season he could develop into a solid first grade player by the end of next year.

As for a right side winger as long as they don't get rag-dolled when bringing the ball back and position themselves well in defence we'll be alright. If our premiership hopes rest on a right side winger then we've got bigger problems. We already have one winger that is the best in the comp we just need one that fits well. That could even be promoting from within. I wouldn't put it past one of our young backs to make the step-up especially with another off-season training with the first grade squad.

I should of been been more clearer, sorry. I think our backline last year was the slowest in the league. With the exception of Semi. Although I think Taka / Hoppa are both skilful..... both of them
Are plodders when it comes to speed. We need quicker skillfull 3/4 IMO. If def give Semi A shot at 3/4 next year and maybe bring up a quick junior or gutherson to play outside him on the wing. As for the 3/4 position is don't know, it depends what happens with hoppa's court case which he will probably win.

Avenger

Immortal
The last time I was this confident was prior to season 2005. We will go very close next year. I expect a top 4 finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts