What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I get the picture that you're grabbing at straws again. They are all centres - and if you're trying to pretend that I think we still have inside and outside centres, just because you can't bring yourself to admit I have a point ........... then I've won (again) I'm afraid.

Well you're the judge, lingard. If you think you've won something who am I to take it away from you.

My point was that yes they are all centres even though they play different styles. Therefore two halves playing different styles aren't necessarily playing different positions. In most cases calling one the 'halfback' and one the 'five-eighth' is old fashioned and doesn't accurately describe the relationship. The vast majority of NRL halves play the same role, whether they wear 6 or 7. They defend three in from a sideline, and in attack they receive the ball at first or second receiver, with an edge forward, centre and winger (and occasionally a fullback) on their outside.

To concede your point about the continued existence of the five-eighth, I mentioned earlier that you're probably right. If anything it's the halfback that no longer exists, apart from Thurston.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So much head scratchingly circular logic (again). You state that a player won't turn their nose up at an 'only offer', - and why would they? But that doesn't mean a solo offer is made by a good talent evaluator or a good negotiator. Basically you are just saying that to try and get back around again to your (weird) thesis - but that is in no way proved by saying a player wouldn't turn their nose up at a solo offer...

I think you're trying to say that clubs will offer what they think a player is worth, regardless of what other clubs are offering. And if so I agree. But every club would have similar ideas about what a given player is worth, and if anything his own club would make the most accurate assessment. I understand your point (that you keep labouring) is that Kearney was a special breed of clueless that threw stupid money at reserve graders just because he has no idea about footballing ability. But even this is impossible. Kearney has not only been in the game as coach and player for decades, but he had a large professional staff of advisers, including Arthur and Nolan.

He took some signing risks, as does every coach, but these would have been the high potential players that showed flashes of dominance - Loko, Sandow, Hopoate, Lussick. A youngster like Morgan showed flashes of competence, which would have brought him into the top 25, but wouldn't have gotten him a big contract - he had only played ten games in his career and showed little. Loko showed a lot more ability and was re-signed at the same time (or at least it was announced at the same time). That's where we would have paid massive overs.

Now Loko's career is in shreds while Morgan has been retained by his fourth consecutive NRL coach.

As far as your statements on Tighe/ Reddy. No there is no way I would sign either bloke. But I wouldn't sign Morgan either.

I would. ;-)

They are all about the same level: Tighe/ Reddy are the more accomplished players currently. But saying you wouldn't sign a guy to be a backup is very confusing given your love of supporting the signings of crap backups....

I'm not so sure Morgan is a backup. If he is he'll be one of the best centres in the NSW Cup. Your first choice backup (inside the top 25) should be a better player than any backups getting paid outside the top 25 cap.

You are back to ranting again today like you are off your meds again or something. Get some help!

If that's all you've got then it's no wonder you say shit like this:

PS can you just reply for me to your reply, i have had my monthly fill.

No if you want the last word you need to earn it. May I suggest just posting something dismissive?

lingard

Coach
Well you're the judge, lingard. If you think you've won something who am I to take it away from you.

My point was that yes they are all centres even though they play different styles. Therefore two halves playing different styles aren't necessarily playing different positions. In most cases calling one the 'halfback' and one the 'five-eighth' is old fashioned and doesn't accurately describe the relationship. The vast majority of NRL halves play the same role, whether they wear 6 or 7. They defend three in from a sideline, and in attack they receive the ball at first or second receiver, with an edge forward, centre and winger (and occasionally a fullback) on their outside.

To concede your point about the continued existence of the five-eighth, I mentioned earlier that you're probably right. If anything it's the halfback that no longer exists, apart from Thurston.

Thank you. That took a long time. Now there'll be no more talk of middle halves, then.

lingard

Coach
You cannot honestly believe that??????

I would rate him just after hindy111 on the scale (if it isn't obvious, that is quite low)

Actually, Hindy 111 seems to be one of the more knowledgeable posters on here. We all know a fair bit about football. I think Pou Pou knows as much as any of us; it's just that - with his contradicting himself and his love of circular logic to attempt to win an argument at any cost - he comes across as not knowing very much. I reckon he does pretty well for someone who only started following the game in the nineties.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Actually, Hindy 111 seems to be one of the more knowledgeable posters on here. We all know a fair bit about football. I think Pou Pou knows as much as any of us; it's just that - with his contradicting himself and his love of circular logic to attempt to win an argument at any cost - he comes across as not knowing very much. I reckon he does pretty well for someone who only started following the game in the nineties.

Saying the administrative and coaching staff know best isn't circular logic, it's just a fact.

And just because they know best doesn't mean they are all going to make the same decisions either. This is why a player can be released from his club and signed by another and it doesn't mean that one club has no idea while the other is run by geniuses. Both clubs face different circumstances and operate under different constraints.

There are upsides and downsides to every decision made in rugby league. If you're trying to pin me down to 'pick a side' you'll remain frustrated and continue to whinge about circular logic, because the fact is there are always both pros and cons, along with potential risks and rewards.

As for only following rugby league for a quarter of a century, the game is different enough now from how it was in 1990 that it doesn't matter what it was like before that. Someone could have only followed the game since 2005 and still know more about the modern game than you lingard.

Gronk

Staff member

Noise

Coach
Poor old Jason Taylor. What a f**kfight he's inherited. What's the bet he's made the scapegoat?

Regardless of your opinion on Farah, Taylor has tried to force him into leaving when he is under contract. And Taylor needs to agree to let Tapau go so it is his call. They are both Taylor's decision. He will most likely get the sack but the way he has managed the Farrah and now Tapau contracts hasn't looked good.

strider

Post Whore
JT should have a bonding session at the cricket with the boys - or at a pub - that always goes well

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Regardless of your opinion on Farah, Taylor has tried to force him into leaving when he is under contract. And Taylor needs to agree to let Tapau go so it is his call. They are both Taylor's decision. He will most likely get the sack but the way he has managed the Farrah and now Tapau contracts hasn't looked good.

Well it hasn't looked good, which surely reflects the situation Taylor has found himself in. He's tried to move Farah on but he wouldn't have done that unless the alternative was worse - keeping Farah almost certainly means the Tigers have an unbalanced cap and a non-competitive team, and Taylor (or any other coach) would get the sack anyway. After all, "it's a results driven business".

It's easy to judge when it goes wrong but a coach at a troubled club only has two choices - do nothing or take a massive risk.

caylo

Bench
Well it hasn't looked good, which surely reflects the situation Taylor has found himself in. He's tried to move Farah on but he wouldn't have done that unless the alternative was worse - keeping Farah almost certainly means the Tigers have an unbalanced cap and a non-competitive team, and Taylor (or any other coach) would get the sack anyway. After all, "it's a results driven business".

It's easy to judge when it goes wrong but a coach at a troubled club only has two choices - do nothing or take a massive risk.

Whether they have an unbalanced cap or not they still have/had (unsure now) tapau, farah, brooks, moses, tedesco which is a solid core and decent pack and outside backs. Taylor has plenty to work with, a lot more then brad arthur, and he could have got the best out of the situation but rather he has turned the club into a laughing stock. Letting farah go how they did was never going to end well, i wouldn't be surprised if tapau wanting to leave has ssomething to do with it.

Risk v benefit, all risk and no gain. Taylor again showing his amateur coaching. Thank God we signed BA instead

Status
Not open for further replies.