What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
The post you quoted suggested buying no-one and pumping the money into retaining players. Short of John becoming a world beater in half a season, If we have 800k in the till and John or Coote are playing 7 next year I will be more than pissed.

But if there's no $800k players on the market (Benji's not now) Should we pay overs like in the past?

We have added SOO Premiership wining half. Prop won Comps and Clive Churchill medal
Lock/Hooker played test and GF

Add to that losing dropkicks like Newton, Kingston etc

We have done plenty to strengthen the squad

We can have a play for Johnson and any other quality players when they come up during next season.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
We should pay what a player is worth, but with 800k free and a clear hole in the roster we should look to fill it as best we can.

murraymob

Coach
benjis girlfriend was on triple m this morning and she was suprised about penrith and said i doubt it but you never know .That in itself says he is using penrith to milk another 200k out of the tigers and will sign a extension

franklin2323

Immortal
We should pay what a player is worth, but with 800k free and a clear hole in the roster we should look to fill it as best we can.

Of course we should went for the best half NSW has (Carney) & the best in Australia (JT), The best kiwi half is free next year and given we have strengthen the halves getting Soward. We have the luxury to sit back and wait for a player who suits.

Marshall is a 5/8th Johnson will be a superstar but is 23 and not there yet. Rather him then a player on the way down

Of course we should went for the best half NSW has (Carney) & the best in Australia (JT), The best kiwi half is free next year and given we have strengthen the halves getting Soward. We have the luxury to sit back and wait for a player who suits.

Marshall is a 5/8th Johnson will be a superstar but is 23 and not there yet. Rather him then a player on the way down

Not sure we have to wait.

We have a fair bit of cap space now. So if we sign Williams for $350k or so , we should have what's left over & the money coote is on.

So we could get a prospect in Williams and still go after Johnson next year.

marcozzi

Juniors
we might be $800k to $900k under the cap this year, but don't forget the cap rises another $450k next season, which leaves us $1.35 million space for next year...

Last edited:

Panthers@Heart

Juniors
The Penrith Panthers are set to offer unhappy Wests Tigers star Benji Marshall a massive offer which could see the former New Zealand captain jump ship to Penrith next season.

chrisD

Coach

I disagree, we don't have the luxury to sit back and wait as we have a hole in our roster at half next year.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not sure we have to wait.

We have a fair bit of cap space now. So if we sign Williams for $350k or so , we should have what's left over & the money coote is on.

So we could get a prospect in Williams and still go after Johnson next year.

Of course but we can't get Benji and Johnson. Johnson is the nautral half and will only get better so is the one we need

Karnivayne

Juniors
we might be $800k to $900k under the cap this year, but don't forget the cap rises another $450k next season, which leaves us $1.35 million space for next year...
Not necessarily, some players have percentage increase clauses to match the increase, whilst it may go up 450k a percentage of it is more than likely taken up by those players increase clause.

Big Mick

Referee
We don't have $1.35m

We've already spent some of the increase so we essentially have what was left for what we were offering Carney/JT.

And I wasn't suggesting don't spend to the cap

I was suggesting re-signing guys like Moylan/Austin etc to 3 year deals with a shitload cap number for next year to utilise that space and create more space going forward to go after a Johnson for example.

franklin2323

Immortal
I disagree, we don't have the luxury to sit back and wait as we have a hole in our roster at half next year.

Our issue to me is poor finishing to sets. Soward in. No Kingston or Walsh will fix that. My issue is all these issues the Tiger needing a 7 & never once has benji gone there.

He wants to play 6. Soward is a 6. $800k is a big risk that he can play 7. Especially when we can get an actual half & play for Johnson in 12months.

murraymob

Coach
considering benji is under contract for next year its does look like a fishing line being chucked out there for anyone to catch.Couple of flat heads on the end of the line already lol

chrisD

Coach
John or Coote at 7 are significantly weaker than the rest of next years squad. Mick's post was suggesting signing no-one and putting the money into retaining players, I do not want to do that, to me it's a waste of a year, I would rather explore all options of signing an upgrade to play halfback for next season.

Johnson, Benji, it's all pie in the sky stuff.

murraymob

Coach
most of the good juniors are already signed up .We need a name player to get people through the gate .If the juniors are good enough they will make there way through and earn there spot

franklin2323

Immortal
John or Coote at 7 are significantly weaker than the rest of next years squad. Mick's post was suggesting signing no-one and putting the money into retaining players, I do not want to do that, to me it's a waste of a year, I would rather explore all options of signing an upgrade to play halfback for next season.

Johnson, Benji, it's all pie in the sky stuff.

I am saying get halves but not on that sort of money. Though if we miss on someone we have enough to have a handy team

Status
Not open for further replies.