What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
Id take him. Not on anything over $600k. But he and Soward both have different strengths and would offer alot as a halves pairing. Throw in Segs at hooker and that's 3 quality players in our spine who are proven over an extended period of time. Moylan looks the goods at fullback and is another ball player. Behind a front row of McKendry, Grant, Kite, Plum/Latimore/Anderson/masoe etc. they would be playing with plenty of space. Throw in a second row with Manu, Brown, Docker, Taylor, Robinson etc. and that means our biggest weakness would be the centre/wings. But between Whare, Roberts, Mansour, Robinson , Jennings, Satini etc. we are pretty well covered there too.

murraymob

Coach
didnt benji just sign a new deal not that long ago.If so there is no way he will get a release.But i must say he is one a the few NRL players that would bring people through the gate SBW is another.So would be a good signing

Luke Bowden

First Grade
didnt benji just sign a new deal not that long ago.If so there is no way he will get a release.But i must say he is one a the few NRL players that would bring people through the gate SBW is another.So would be a good signing

The Tigers are in the middle of negs with him.

Depends how bad things are with the coach.

I think he only has one year left on his current deal. There has been talk in recent days of him wanting a 4 year extension.

franklin2323

Immortal
I highly doubt Benji Marshall would be playing for the same amount as Widdop.

Yeah but on form is worst then Widdop. It would be crazy to pay him elite wage when his not elite now. Not saying I wouldn't take him but not for the reported figure.

Last edited:

Abacus

Juniors
It's a beat-up. Benji & his manager read the amounts being thrown at Carney last week so are putting the pressure on the tigers to lift Benji's pay packet. If the Panthers were to sign him I don't believe it would be for less than the $900k per season allegedly offered to Carney. Anyone that thinks we can get him for less, even given his poor form over the past 12 months, may have been on the end of a couple of shots from Plummy & Docks, suffering short term amnesia so forgetting how much the cap has increased & will continue to increase in the next few seasons.

Big Mick

Referee
I'll be honest....and it may seem like a bad move but I wouldn't really move on Benji and I'm even becoming hesitant a little bit with Sam Williams.

I'd much prefer to re-sign some off-contract or one year left on their deal younger players up right now for 2-3 years and front load their deals and play it by ear for 2014 and have substantial funds to spend for 2015 with Shaun Johnson off contract.

I still think given our roster right now, we can utilise either John or Moylan at five-eight or half to be serviceable with Soward...or even Coote.

I know Feltis has said in RLW or Big League this week that we are after two more established players and you'd assume that would mean a centre and a halfback.

But I'd actually prefer to utilise this cap space to create room going forward to retain our young stars coming through that will be sought after by 2015.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'll be honest....and it may seem like a bad move but I wouldn't really move on Benji and I'm even becoming hesitant a little bit with Sam Williams.

I'd much prefer to re-sign some off-contract or one year left on their deal younger players up right now for 2-3 years and front load their deals and play it by ear for 2014 and have substantial funds to spend for 2015 with Shaun Johnson off contract.

I still think given our roster right now, we can utilise either John or Moylan at five-eight or half to be serviceable with Soward...or even Coote.

I know Feltis has said in RLW or Big League this week that we are after two more established players and you'd assume that would mean a centre and a halfback.

But I'd actually prefer to utilise this cap space to create room going forward to retain our young stars coming through that will be sought after by 2015.

Spot on. Add Coote, Soward, McKendry, Taylor, Kite and Roberts to the team and we have a good side. Give us a young half besides that we don't need players

betcats

Referee
Id take Benji in a heartbeat. Get him fit and healthy at a new club playing behind a better forward pack then he has for a few seasons and I think he can find some form again. Him and Seggy in the same side would be exciting. But I doubt he would come to Penrith.

franklin2323

Immortal
We don't have a young half nearly ready for first grade.

But Marshall will be 29. Soward 30 next year. Both on huge money

Soward will be good for us. For Marshall's money we can buy 2 or 3 options for when injuries arrive. I would rather get some depth in the halves rather then 2 expensive 5/8th's

Internally we have John, Coote that can play inside him

Exrternally Williams, Townsend both 23 next year

So we have options until Scarlett and co are ready

chrisD

Coach
The post you quoted suggested buying no-one and pumping the money into retaining players. Short of John becoming a world beater in half a season, If we have 800k in the till and John or Coote are playing 7 next year I will be more than pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.