What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty65

Juniors
John is going ok but lets not get ahead of ourselves, towling up a Matt Elliott coached team isn't much of an achievement

:lol:....Good point. But what about John's good debut performance against the champions (coached by Bellamy) the previous week??

You cant ignore that one. He looks like a damn good player. Seems to have all the skills. So he is ahead of the majority. Time will tell if he can do it week in, week out.

mxlegend99

Referee
Did anyone see how terribly John was playing for the Wolves? He was non existent and IMO the worst half to have played there this season. Somehow he comes up to first grade and is killing it.

I think Wallace has far more potential then both John and Walsh. Who are starting to look a lot better lately. Well Walsh has always had it in him to carve up shit teams, but John was deadset ordinary in reserve grade and is just killing it in first grade. I can see Wallace coming home and improving with a player like Jamie Soward at 5/8. He's not the halfback I would want at the club, I didn't rate him all that highly when he was here the first time. But I do think he is an improvement over anyone we have currently atleast.

My preference would be:

1. Sam Williams
2. Matt Moylan > Halfback
3. Peter Wallace / Isacc John partnering Carney

Not too sure on #3 yet. If John can continue to improve and look good this season, he deserves to be rewarded for his form. I just can't help but remember how awful he looked at Windsor. But that makes his form in first grade even more impressive.

Doomednow

Bench
John at least deserves the chance to show he can play like that consistently. I think he and Soward could be a surprising combination.

I like Moylan at fullback for the time being.

franklin2323

Immortal
No from me also.

Soward is going handy with Fein atm. We have John, Coote, Capewell. Austin. Hell even Humble and Walsh are better then Fein. Then we have Moylan & Roberts that are junior halves. Evans in NYC are all better also.

Soward will control plays on the 5th there is no better finisher of sets then him. So we need either a young half or someone takes on the line. Ruling out Wallace.

maple_69

Bench
Soward is very similar to Walsh as a player, just better in every way. If John can show he can successfully partner Walsh, he could be our guy.

Humble has to be seen as nothing more than a utility or Windsor half. I'd rather Austin play lock. Coote should be a utility/back up fullback next year and gone the next. Moylan should stay at fullback for a while longer.

Black Majik

Juniors
Wallace is a yes from me.

Proven first grader, consistent and at an age where he still has good years ahead of him.

My team 2014
1. M. Moylan
6. J. Soward
7. P. Wallace
9. J Segeyaro
14. L. Coote

MrAnonymous

Bench
He's not worse than Walsh.

His defence alone makes him better.

Walsh on his best day is probably better , but we only see that a few times a year.

I have watched most Brisbane games this year and he has pretty f**king bad and worse than Walsh.

2 or 3 years ago when he was playing with Lockyer he was decent, Last year he was bad and the start of this year he has been dreadful.
Id rather keep John or Coote over him.

Big Mick

Referee
Gee this sort of comment worries me. Isn't this identical to the attitude of the previous administration that has been condemned over the past couple of years? Lewis, Jennings, Gordon, Civoniceva, Waterhouse. Plenty of talent but not where any team really needs it - in the halves.

For the record, I'm not opposed to signing Wallace however I'd like to see John & Moylan extended for 2 & 3 years respectively (assuming Moylan is off contract this year). John has shown enough in his 1st 2 matches for the Panthers with some of the things he did last night being beautiful to watch, to be resigned ASAP. Especially with the lack of quality halves in the NRL. It was evident when our back line played through John last night it was much more fluent than playing through Walsh. The case for resigning Moylan is obvious.

Resign John & Moylan, sign Wallace & with Soward, Coote, Capewell, Austin & Humble already on board for 2014, panthers will have some real depth in the halves for the 1st time in a long time.

How is it identical?

All I'm saying is that we have talent across the park, we've got a dominant five-eight already for next year and even if we get Wallace he is a steady player who wont do much wrong when he has talent around him.

I'd be stunned if we didn't re-sign John & Moylan, as far as I know contract negotiations with Moylan have been on-going for a while.

At worst John will be with Windsor for us and Tom Humble will switch to playing hooker or off the bench for Windsor in all likelihood.

All I was saying was I don't really believe we should be worried we didn't get Thurston or Carney at halfback...I believe we just need a solid player who may not be a world beater but can direct the guys around the park on a consistent basis.

As I said...I'd prefer to get someone with potential like Sam Williams than Peter Wallace but given the style of player Wallace is...he would compliment Soward imo.

PinkPanther

Juniors
How does everyone feel about Hodkinson? He isn't signed for next year and is on cheap money. Would you rather him or Wallace?

Big Mick

Referee
Hodkinson only plays well in a contract year.

For the last 2 years he's been rubbish and has has 2 good games...that's it.

I'd rather Wallace in a heartbeat.

BTW how do you know he is on "cheap money". I can guarantee you he is not, unless you call $200k+ "Cheap money"

Graftonpanther

Juniors
Not sure but I think Wallace may go alright back with us, our forward pack will give him some very good go forward to work off, would not worry me to much if we got him.

But do agree John and Moylan should be re signed, John might be one out of the blocks this year his skill has been impressive so far, the passing and putting blokes through holes has been good to watch. He could pose a good dilemma for IC if he keeps improving and playing well.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
Not sure but I think Wallace may go alright back with us, our forward pack will give him some very good go forward to work off, would not worry me to much if we got him.

Me neither mate.

If we got him I wouldn't jump through hoops in excitement but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion it was a "massive step backwards" either. Not until he puts on a jersey.

People should brace themselves that not everyone they want re-signed will be re-signed...some may move on.

The competition for spots is on and as a result may have some casualties.

But it is an exciting time no matter what and right now we are seeing the potential of this team.

Graftonpanther

Juniors
Yes the improvement since our injury CURSE hahaha has been exceptional, McKendry is the only one I am missing at the moment, when he returns and he comes off the bench with Masoe that gives us a great rotation IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.