What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panfas

Juniors
We have in excess of $2m spare for 2014 and a large portion of it will go towards just 2 players

franklin2323

Immortal
Over $2m more than the Dogs over 4 years? That has to be wrong. Are you saying our bid for JT is $500k per season above what the dogs have offered.

If true you can draw one of two conclusions from that:

Either Dogs placed a bid with the deliberate intention of being insulting or

We are have no respect at all for money or the salary cap.

We are playing 800k under the cap this year. no one else is. Remember the footy Season paywise goes to Nov 1. come mid Oct if we have that left we forward pay Coote, Grant etc. Suddenly that 800k for 2014 is doubled plus the players off contract. I would be pissed if we didn't have the best offer.

Off the books we have an academy that needs staff. We have a GM that claims to be close friends with David Gyngell. So can get him gigs at 9.

Randy81

Juniors
Over $2m more than the Dogs over 4 years? That has to be wrong. Are you saying our bid for JT is $500k per season above what the dogs have offered.

If true you can draw one of two conclusions from that:

Either Dogs placed a bid with the deliberate intention of being insulting or

We are have no respect at all for money or the salary cap.

Yep I am told it is only $200k more the 1st year, and is made up for in the years after. Though dogs offer is pretty high also, just ours is higher again.

I don't think there is no respect there, just that we have more to spend and are finally targetting the right area.

Randy81

Juniors
I have similar mail. There is another part of this story, but I dont want to reveal as it is not sorted yet. But if JT signs, another major star (current SOO player) will sign also. both after 4 years that their current clubs wont match.

Hadn't heard the second part - Would be interested to hear that :D

The only other news i heard was that apparently Folau has agreed to dogs in 2014, and it was them who suggested that he go to Union this year - given they can't afford him till 2014.

(Yes i know that it doesnt make sense. How could they afford him as well? but thats the same question we ask every year)

Whilst Corey Norman is close to coming to Parra.

darkbloom

Juniors
Good point Max.

Randy, as to backending the contract I thought there was massive, I mean MASSIVE, criticism of the previous administration for doing exactly that.

As far as respect goes - read any of Gus's writing on salary cap and you'll know he has no respect for it. Looking at how he spent in his time at Easts and now and I think a premiership is worth more to him than fiscal responsibility.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep I am told it is only $200k more the 1st year, and is made up for in the years after. Though dogs offer is pretty high also, just ours is higher again.

I don't think there is no respect there, just that we have more to spend and are finally targetting the right area.

Are you sure it's not extra on this years cap? Roosters did similar with Maloney. After round 26 Warriors released him. He was paid some of this year from Perrett and etc leaving. Leaving him on the books for bugger all.

HankScorpio

Juniors
The only other news i heard was that apparently Folau has agreed to dogs in 2014, and it was them who suggested that he go to Union this year - given they can't afford him till 2014.

(Yes i know that it doesnt make sense. How could they afford him as well? but thats the same question we ask every year)

Makes a lot more sense than him being in Union long term, I guess.

Randy81

Juniors
Are you sure it's not extra on this years cap? Roosters did similar with Maloney. After round 26 Warriors released him. He was paid some of this year from Perrett and etc leaving. Leaving him on the books for bugger all.

Not what I was told. However certainly seems plausible

franklin2323

Immortal
Not what I was told. However certainly seems plausible

Yeah. I can't see us ever back ending again. Say the salary cap is $5.85m. We have til Nov 1 to spend that money. If we start spending $5m. we won't do it early incase there's injuries or a start is available.

We can bring forward next years cap so we have less next year. I assume that was the aim by releasing Jennings now to get money for 2014

Randy81

Juniors
Yeah. I can't see us ever back ending again. Say the salary cap is $5.85m. We have til Nov 1 to spend that money. If we start spending $5m. we won't do it early incase there's injuries or a start is available.

We can bring forward next years cap so we have less next year. I assume that was the aim by releasing Jennings now to get money for 2014

I agree and hope that is the case. Otherwise, what would be the point of being significantly under this years cap without any future benefits.
To be honest i had not heard of the Nov 1 rule until you mentioned it -Seems practical.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree and hope that is the case. Otherwise, what would be the point of being significantly under this years cap without any future benefits.
To be honest i had not heard of the Nov 1 rule until you mentioned it -Seems practical.

Yeah. I didn't know either I asked someone in the know about why we released Jennings now and how they afforded him.

It was explained to me like this: Feb is like a budget of how you plan to spend the cap. Nov 1 is when you have to receipts in of how you spent it.

In the Roosters case the budgeted for him this year on. in the meantime lost Sam Perrett, Mitchell etc. Leaving them under they got Maloney released after the Warriors season ended. Paid him that balance before Nov 1 so it counted on last years cap.

Stuff like this happens all the time. We need to catch up with doing stuff like that to get back on a level playing field

darkbloom

Juniors

Dream on. They will back-end contracts for sure. The moment they think it will bring early success it will happen. They all believe they are smart enough to manage the problems that are down the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts