What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
Of course but would Fittler of been as good if we held him back?

Yes. Though may never got to Captain a GF winning side

The average NRL games is 50. Holding them back doesn't change that especially as it gives them 2-3 less years in 1st grade.

Look at the Manly halves. Foran came in young. DCE had the year in QLD cup. Both are just as good as each other. Benji Debuting at 18 didn't hurt him. Same with Graham and Lewis

Graham would of benefited from being held back a year or 2 imo, maybe more even.

My point re Fittler is that I dont think Gus or Ivan would hold him back now, if we had 17yo fittler signed to Penrith right now he would be playing FG. We have no one that talented so using the way he was brought through 20years ago as evidence of how other far less talented players should be brought through today doesn't make sense.

franklin2323

Immortal
Graham would of benefited from being held back a year or 2 imo, maybe more even.

My point re Fittler is that I dont think Gus or Ivan would hold him back now, if we had 17yo fittler signed to Penrith right now he would be playing FG. We have no one that talented so using the way he was brought through 20years ago as evidence of how other far less talented players should be brought through today doesn't make sense.

Graham finished with us in NYC so atleast he went back. Jennings certainly needed time in NSW Cup after playing 1st grade though this year looks pretty handy :(

It's hard for me to judge as I was in Primary school in 91. Though Cartwright seems to be as Skillful can play in multiple positions etc. I can't see him playing NSW Cup until next year.

After looking back and reading our 40 year book. We were struggling for wins much like now and the likes of MG, Brandy etc were fast tracked into the team

Pomoz

Bench
After looking back and reading our 40 year book. We were struggling for wins much like now and the likes of MG, Brandy etc were fast tracked into the team
In a recent interview, MG talked about being fast tracked and made the comment he was 110kg and was one of the biggest players in the competition, even when he was 19. He then said, trouble is these days even the wingers are 110kg and so it is a bigger step up.

One other point, Ron Willey introduced Brad Fittler to fg and I was at that game. Brad was built like the block of units I lived in on Castlereagh St in Penrith and was made for League. He was a rare specimen and shouldn't be used as the template to judge our present juniors by. I have no doubt if he was playing at 17 years of age in the current Holden Cup today, he would still be a stand out and be ready for FG.

We have been holding back players the last few years and it hasn't worked at all. Have we been doing the wrong thing or just haven't had any classy juniors?

maple_69

Bench
Honestly with a few exceptions the junior talent hasn't been amazing for a few years.
A few players here and there have been quite good but the production line that we seem to have coming through now of potential superstars is not a luxury we've had for a few years.
Jennings, Grant and Mckendry are the only guys that have come through and gone on to rep football (not including city country). Hard to see 3 just from our 20s team not making it to rep football in 5 years time.

betcats

Referee
Graham finished with us in NYC so atleast he went back. Jennings certainly needed time in NSW Cup after playing 1st grade though this year looks pretty handy :(

It's hard for me to judge as I was in Primary school in 91. Though Cartwright seems to be as Skillful can play in multiple positions etc. I can't see him playing NSW Cup until next year.

Bryce and Dallin are probably our two most talented kids in the NYC team, and both are very talented imo but at a similar age to them now Fittler was playing Origin and Kangaroos - this shows how special Freddy was even as a teen.

franklin2323

Immortal
In a recent interview, MG talked about being fast tracked and made the comment he was 110kg and was one of the biggest players in the competition, even when he was 19. He then said, trouble is these days even the wingers are 110kg and so it is a bigger step up.

One other point, Ron Willey introduced Brad Fittler to fg and I was at that game. Brad was built like the block of units I lived in on Castlereagh St in Penrith and was made for League. He was a rare specimen and shouldn't be used as the template to judge our present juniors by. I have no doubt if he was playing at 17 years of age in the current Holden Cup today, he would still be a stand out and be ready for FG.

Thanks someone that can remember then. It's why I often wonder about players being so big. Then again there is some big guys in NYC many are too overweight yet. Players handle them ok.

I have no problem with putting NYC players up before 1st grade but if they are dominating NYC get put up and are dominating NSW Cup not just the odd game but over say 10 games if a vacany is in the top grade. I see no reason why it can't be taken by a kid

Look at the rate of NYC Graduates that actually make it even if they are held back. Remember last year Tohu Harris was NYC/NSW Cup now a test player.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I really think we need a Centre, I like us to have a crack at Will Chambers or Ryan Morgan, both would be excellent pick ups in my opinion. Jacob Loko is the other one on the market worth a look at. I'm not sound on Loko.

Panthers@Heart

Juniors
The mole said Penrith are are after Folau but so is the Rooster's the Roosters are reducing their salary cap and letting go of Kenny dowl (i think thats how you spell it)

meek

Juniors
The mole said Penrith are are after Folau but so is the Rooster's the Roosters are reducing their salary cap and letting go of Kenny dowl (i think thats how you spell it)

If the Roosters get Folau - based on the current squad that even Ray Warren commented on salary cap wise last night they have assembled.
Even if they release a few players

then I will give the game away and follow tiddly winks
seriously - give me a break.

Add Folau to that squad and they would be close to unbeatable even allowing for a few releases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.