What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
I call absolute bullsh*t on that. And have no doubt this 'marketing guru' was hired by the AFL to spew such utter nonsense. There may be 'airtime' in relation to these defections but that in now way relates to dollars for the AFL, unless there has been a surge of sponsorship and membership for these two teams because if it didn't then this has just been as large a boon for the NRL.

Sorry but I don't share your opinion. I think that the AFL types seem to be kicking goals (boom-tish) with most things they do these days and certainly have the bank balance to finance this. Signing cutie or Falou is not unlike Pepsi paying some rock star to push their fizz. They now have a recognisable face for their marketing campaigns in their respective states and that's a plus as opposed to using an AFL player that nobody has heard of.

The only negative that the two NRL signings will cause IMO are the massive disparity in salaries between the career AFL player on $220k and Falou getting paid 5 times that. Might make it a tad icy at training methinks.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so now the two highest paid players in AFL are League players who have never played AFL ?

I guess that makes sense to someone

born an eel

Bench
Sorry but I don't share your opinion. I think that the AFL types seem to be kicking goals (boom-tish) with most things they do these days and certainly have the bank balance to finance this. Signing cutie or Falou is not unlike Pepsi paying some rock star to push their fizz. They now have a recognisable face for their marketing campaigns in their respective states and that's a plus as opposed to using an AFL player that nobody has heard of.

The only negative that the two NRL signings will cause IMO are the massive disparity in salaries between the career AFL player on $220k and Falou getting paid 5 times that. Might make it a tad icy at training methinks.
the same marketing genius would think that the storm salary cap scandal was a great move by them. It is the only time they have made the front pages of the melbourne papers and people now recognise them.

Hunt and Folau will do very little to 'spread' the word for AFL. What sort of presence does Folau have in western Sydney? Virtually none. And Hunt wasn't that popular of a NRL player to begin with. This was not 60% marketing, 40% football. This was 100% marketing. And in the long run it won't pay off simply because they are wasting upwards of $10m on two rugby league players with getting very little in return. I doubt either will play many games for their respective teams and I doubt there will be an increase in sponsorship/membership for either team because of these signings. It just amounts to some more media attention to the two new teams but honestly if they need rugby league players to get media attention then both teams are already in major trouble.

strider

Post Whore
no doubt he's a great athlete who will take alot of specys ... its just questionable whether he can then kick them somewhere good

i wonder how long until the AFL comes to the same conclusions union has - that its a waste of money forking out massive $$$s for league players

stuke

Bench
will be interesting how Israel adapts to the game. i don't know much about the game but I can't recall any Polynesian background players. Polynesians aren't renowned for their stamina in sports - maybe he will open up a new market for them or......

Stagger eel

Staff member
just to fire this thread up a bit..

I heard today that there could be a mid season coming and going at our club, I won't be giving you any names nor will I even hint at who I heard but don't be surprised if something surfaces in the coming week or 2 leading into June 30.

the_eel

Juniors

I heard today that there could be a mid season coming and going at our club, I won't be giving you any names nor will I even hint at who I heard but don't be surprised if something surfaces in the coming week or 2 leading into June 30.

Interesting. Would you say stagger that we'll be better or worse off if these comings and goings eventuate??

Stagger eel

Staff member
Interesting. Would you say stagger that we'll be better or worse off if these comings and goings eventuate??

If it comes off, it's difficult to say but I would lean towards it being a positive for the team.

by the way, if it doesn't happen I'll be happy to reveal it on July 1 which is the deadline for mid season transfers.

lucablight

First Grade
If it comes off, it's difficult to say but I would lean towards it being a positive for the team.

by the way, if it doesn't happen I'll be happy to reveal it on July 1 which is the deadline for mid season transfers.

Any big name signings you've heard of?

Kornstar

Coach
for next year? no.

In one of the papers on Sunday it mentioned that the board were split about their feeling towards DA and whether to keep him past his contract.

Do you have any thoughts or knowledge about this?

My thoughts are that Sharpe has been bought in (much like in 05) to be the "people" person with the players, would you agree? I know the guys i know who came through the Eels system always loved Sharpe and hated Smith.

It could be similar with DA, being a disciplinary and all.....

Stagger eel

Staff member
In one of the papers on Sunday it mentioned that the board were split about their feeling towards DA and whether to keep him past his contract.

Do you have any thoughts or knowledge about this?

My thoughts are that Sharpe has been bought in (much like in 05) to be the "people" person with the players, would you agree? I know the guys i know who came through the Eels system always loved Sharpe and hated Smith.

It could be similar with DA, being a disciplinary and all.....

yeah sort of...

I know that the board have delayed a decision in offering DA an extension, and that was after DA's manager made enquiries.

strider

Post Whore
its ask stagger a question night ... so .... lets see ... what can I ask :-k ....

stagger, how big is a ball of string?

Maroubra Eel

Coach

I bet we're swapping Hayne for Tim Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.