What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I had a chat to someone who is part of the coaching staff at another club and had a little bit to do with Reni Maitua and he reckons he will be a better player than he was before he was suspended.

jk13

First Grade
Originally Posted by strider
what about the poor people that miss this post? - you'll have to make another post for the people that missed the post about people who missed the earlier post .... don't want anyone missing out

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

boxhead

First Grade
I had a chat to someone who is part of the coaching staff at another club and had a little bit to do with Reni Maitua and he reckons he will be a better player than he was before he was suspended.

That's good to hear, he was already a great player talent wise. Hopefully he can fulfill it with us.

eel01s

Bench

Maybe so. I guess Sailor came back and didn't disappoint, so hopefully Reni can do the same.

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm not sure why so many people are annoyed with our recruitment. We have bought sh*tloads of experience. Casey McGuire has played over 200 games of top level league including 2 Origins. Carl Webb has played 180+ top level games including 15 Origins and 1Test for Australia. If we get Chris Walker, he has 150 top level games plus 6 Origins.

All 3 are looking for a chance to kick-start their respective careers, so should be hungry for an opportunity.

And then if we happen to snag Orford... Even better!

I guess it's because we have such an old squad already, and all we do is keep signing 30 year olds... If you break it down we've got Hindy, Fui, Shacks, Matua, Burt, Grothe, Tahu, Robson, McGuire, Webb, and possibly Walker who will be 29+ next year. Experience yes, but a squad needs to be balanced with the right level of youth.

And Boxy, can you please post your latest update again. I missed out and can't be bothered going back one page.

caylo

Bench
I guess it's because we have such an old squad already, and all we do is keep signing 30 year olds... If you break it down we've got Hindy, Fui, Shacks, Matua, Burt, Grothe, Tahu, Robson, McGuire, Webb, and possibly Walker who will be 29+ next year. Experience yes, but a squad needs to be balanced with the right level of youth.

And Boxy, can you please post your latest update again. I missed out and can't be bothered going back one page.

I think we do have a good balance tbh, If we get Orford (i have no idea about Walker) we will have an experianced pack which i prefer over a young pack (Webb, Hindy, Fui, Matua and Shak are >29 with Poore, Horo and Mannah <26). In the Halves/hooker we would have Orford (31) and then alot of younger halves (Murray-20, Mortimer-22, Humble-22, Mitchell-20). If we dont get Orford we will have a very inexperianced group of halves (which is a problem imo).
Our backs are Hayne (22), Burt, Tahu and Grothe (near 30s) and Reddy (mid 20s) but we have young guys like Sio and Loko comming though who will need players like Tahu and Burt to guide them. It isn't like Burt, Tahu or Grothe are on old legs, these are 3 of our quickest players and all are pretty explosive when they turn on the after burners. In th enext few years we will 2-3 years we will loss Burt, Tahu, Grothe, Hindy and Fui but We have jnrs ready to step up IMO.

boxhead

First Grade
Here's the new list;

Originally Posted by boxhead

OUR CONFIRMED COACH IS:

Stephen Kearney - Officially signed with the Parramatta Eels, article here;

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsart...h/default.aspx

Our confirmed signings for season 2010/2011 include;

Paki Afu - NYC Bulldogs Prop/2nd Row
Jordan Atkins - Titans Winger
Marmin Barba - NYC Bulldogs Fullback/Utility
Cameron Bruest - NYC Raiders Halfback
Reni Maitua - Un-signed (drug ban)
Manase Manoukafoa - Qld Cup Cowboys Prop
Casey Mcguire - Catalans Dragons (Super League) Utility
Brad Murray - NYC Roosters Halfback
Carl Webb - Cowboys Prop
Toby Keys

Rumoured signings (recently; one's that have legs on them) include;

Willie Tonga - Cowboys Centre
Adam Blair - Storm 2nd row/Prop
Matt Orford- Bradford Bulls Halfback - Update: We will apparently know if he signs with us in a week or so.
Chris Walker - Thanks Staggs

Re-signed (can people please confirm some of these; obviously more of them);
Daniel Mortimer
Jacob Loko
Ken Sio
Luke Burt
Justin Horo
Eric Grothe Junior
Karl Filiga
Timana Tahu - Basically confirmed, 1 year deal.

Thanks again to all of our sources and friends, this list wouldn't be possible without you guys!

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
Originally posted by boxhead

For those that missed Staggs' earlier post by the way, we are still a chance at Orford, there's a whisper we may sign Chris Walker, and that's about it.

There you go :)

Also guys, most media outlets still have us as favourites to sign Matt Orford.

IFR33K

Coach

Thats nothing more than an opinion. Wouldnt read to much into it.

boxhead

First Grade
Yep already have ianlovesparra :) got him in the confirmed re-signed list.

Took me a while to recognise him, he's one of the bigger guys right?

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member

I admit that the guy is a mate but I rate his opinion higher then most...

this guy knows his sh*t and has been involved with thousands players over his years of coaching.

Tony Bongo

Bench

Of the signings we have made so far I have to say that he is the new player I look forward to seeing most. Still young with a couple of extra years of life experience and something to prove. I believe there is a good chance he will prove to be a very valuable asset and I for one think giving him another opportunity was a smart thing to do.

lingard

Coach
There's obviously not much going on in the rumour business, so boxy has been busy confirming posts and stamping out non existent controversy.

Love your work boxy. Could you also please clear up the hot debate about whether steve Kearney will be the next coach?

Have we been talking to Kearney? But Anderson`s still got a year to run. That`s a bit rude, isn`t it?

theicemandanno

Juniors
Article by Brad Walter on the smh website discusses eels preseason training.

It confirms Casey Maguire and Jordan Atkins training with the squad as well as an interesting aside on the potential Orford signing:
"
Bradford officials want a transfer fee but Mimis is understood to have told the Eels and Raiders he believes the Super League club has no grounds to demand a payment for Orford's release. The Bulls have signed Canberra halfback Marc Herbert to replace Orford."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...o-expect--plenty-of-sweat-20101101-17ail.html

mrpwnd

Bench
Well, there was never any question regarding his skill, definitely a class player.
But I question his discipline, motivation and attitude.
Spending 2 years at a muay thai camp doesn't mean he'll be able to stay off the pill/powder once he hits the streets of Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts