What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

caylo

Bench
Good signing for Wenty.
It follows alot of Storm recruitment, sign fringe/avg first graders for little $$ and build your core team big guys. Walker knowns his way to the try line and is experianced. He could turn out to be a good signning, if not good depth and wouldnt cost the world.

caylo

Bench
Yeah another big kiwi boy to add to the club ;-)

He knows alot of guys that I played footy with and went to highschool with, so i thought that was grounds enough to add him and stalk him. The kid is just as ripped as SBW, he is tall and has long arms. Definatly has the physic for the NRL hopfully he has the conditioning and mental ability to play in the NRL which he lacked in the past.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
To end the speculation going on about whether Casey Mcguire was signed or not;

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com....al/tough-first-day-back-for-eels/1984883.aspx

Quote:
Mortimer said the NRL squad had a short meeting with the club’s new mentor yesterday morning, and Kearney’s attitude had already become infectious.
“He was only here for a little while and then he had to jet back to camp with New Zealand in Melbourne,” Mortimer said.
“He basically came in and laid down the law. He said if everyone wants it as much as he does then the club would be successful.”
Mortimer said a number of new faces were at the club’s first session.
“A lot of the younger boys are training with us and guys like Casey Maguire and Carl Webb, the experienced guys, were all there,” he said.

Mortimer said the NRL squad had a short meeting with the club’s new mentor yesterday morning, and Kearney’s attitude had already become infectious. :crazy::sarcasm: What side of the fence is this infection????? Guess ONLY time will tell....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bradford officials want a transfer fee but Mimis is understood to have told the Eels and Raiders he believes the Super League club has no grounds to demand a payment for Orford's release.

If he's under contact with them they have every right to make his release conditional on a transfer fee.

Either the article misquoted him, or Mimis is a f**king dope.

Noise

Coach
If he's under contact with them they have every right to make his release conditional on a transfer fee.

Either the article misquoted him, or Mimis is a f**king dope.

I have often wondered about transfer fees...

If i am working for one company and am under contract , quit and then move to another company that new company would not pay a transfer fee...

Ne1 care to explain the differences???

boxhead

First Grade
Just got wind of a new signing.

Originally Posted by boxhead

OUR CONFIRMED COACH IS:

Stephen Kearney - Officially signed with the Parramatta Eels, article here;

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsart...h/default.aspx

Our confirmed signings for season 2010/2011 include;

Billy Rogers - Melbourne Storm NYC Lock
Paki Afu - NYC Bulldogs Prop/2nd Row
Jordan Atkins - Titans Winger
Marmin Barba - NYC Bulldogs Fullback/Utility
Cameron Bruest - NYC Raiders Halfback
Reni Maitua - Un-signed (drug ban)
Manase Manoukafoa - Qld Cup Cowboys Prop
Casey Mcguire - Catalans Dragons (Super League) Utility
Brad Murray - NYC Roosters Halfback
Carl Webb - Cowboys Prop
Toby Keys

Rumoured signings (recently; one's that have legs on them) include;

Willie Tonga - Cowboys Centre
Adam Blair - Storm 2nd row/Prop
Matt Orford- Bradford Bulls Halfback - Update: We will apparently know if he signs with us in a week or so.
Chris Walker - Thanks Staggs

Re-signed (can people please confirm some of these; obviously more of them);
Daniel Mortimer
Jacob Loko
Ken Sio
Luke Burt
Justin Horo
Eric Grothe Junior
Karl Filiga
Timana Tahu - Basically confirmed, 1 year deal.

Thanks again to all of our sources and friends, this list wouldn't be possible without you guys!

Eels Dude

Coach
I have often wondered about transfer fees...

If i am working for one company and am under contract , quit and then move to another company that new company would not pay a transfer fee...

Ne1 care to explain the differences???

What type of contract are you referring to? If you had a contract for a set period of time and you bailed on it... the company would have every right to take you to court for breach of contract.

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Try and exit a Bank Loan early....

Finally the bank (or whoever) sells the debt to a debt collection agency at roughly 33c per the $1.
When debt collector comes calling ask them if they have a contract with the "person" they are looking for, 1st party to 1st party???
Nothing else needs to be said or done....
Debt collector can't bring a contract forward because they weren't there.
Under these circumstances the alleged debtor does not have to perform whatsoever.
End of matter.
Doesn't matter what size the debt is, they lose!!! (different circumstance with mortgages)
Even if debt agency/agent threaten to take you to court, just ignore them, just keep asking for a copy of the contract they have with the "person" they are looking for.. at worst, which is very rare, even in court just ask for the contract.
Keep it simple stupid......

If debt collector says they have a contract, tell them to send the original copy of the contract to the address they have for the "person" they are looking for. Say nothing else. Just hang up.
This is not legal advice but have fun giving it back to a system that is incredibly corrupt,

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What type of contract are you referring to? If you had a contract for a set period of time and you bailed on it... the company would have every right to take you to court for breach of contract.

Yep. It depends on the wording of the contract, specifically the termination clauses.

Most employment contracts can be terminated by either party at any time, with the outstanding balance to be finalised then (and possibly sorted out in court).

Professional sporting contracts are generally written to protect both club and player by requiring both parties to agree in the event of early termination.

The grey area is when players refuse to play for a club yet somehow fail to breach their contract because they haven't signed with anybody else - e.g. Tallis, Lyon sitting out for a year while still under contract.

SBW left the Dogs while still under contract, and went to France to play Union. IIRC Canterbury threatened legal action but I don't understand why they didn't go ahead with it. I suspect he couldn't go to another NRL club because the league would have refused to register his contract while French Rugby had no such compunctions.

Basically I dunno, and I hope somebody else answers.

caylo

Bench
Finally the bank (or whoever) sells the debt to a debt collection agency at roughly 33c per the $1.
When debt collector comes calling ask them if they have a contract with the "person" they are looking for, 1st party to 1st party???
Nothing else needs to be said or done....
Debt collector can't bring a contract forward because they weren't there.
Under these circumstances the alleged debtor does not have to perform whatsoever.
End of matter.
Doesn't matter what size the debt is, they lose!!! (different circumstance with mortgages)
Even if debt agency/agent threaten to take you to court, just ignore them, just keep asking for a copy of the contract they have with the "person" they are looking for.. at worst, which is very rare, even in court just ask for the contract.
Keep it simple stupid......

If debt collector says they have a contract, tell them to send the original copy of the contract to the address they have for the "person" they are looking for. Say nothing else. Just hang up.
This is not legal advice but have fun giving it back to a system that is incredibly corrupt,

I think Pete ment in the case of having a home lone with ANZ for say and then transfering the home loan to NAB during the minimum period which you will get slapped with a nice big fee.

Same thing with Mobile phone contracts, if you try and get out of it within the term they will slap you with a fee dependent on the time left of the contract.

I think tranfer fees should occur even when players contract finish, esp with jnrs who have yet to play in the NRL because they normally cost alot more to develop. Imagine Manly had to pay us for hodgkinson and Williams and melbourne have to pay for Mahoney, we would get re-imbersed for bring them through the system and we would be able to keep more local product.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Yep. It depends on the wording of the contract, specifically the termination clauses.

Most employment contracts can be terminated by either party at any time, with the outstanding balance to be finalised then (and possibly sorted out in court).

Professional sporting contracts are generally written to protect both club and player by requiring both parties to agree in the event of early termination.

The grey area is when players refuse to play for a club yet somehow fail to breach their contract because they haven't signed with anybody else - e.g. Tallis, Lyon sitting out for a year while still under contract.

SBW left the Dogs while still under contract, and went to France to play Union. IIRC Canterbury threatened legal action but I don't understand why they didn't go ahead with it. I suspect he couldn't go to another NRL club because the league would have refused to register his contract while French Rugby had no such compunctions.

The incredible weakness behind ALL contract law (be it in civil court, admiralty court or before a priest of Baal) will be found amongst "intellectual property" copyrighted. If you know what this means and how it applies you can break ALL contracts and the law can't do anything about it. Only in matters where someone is being harmed (unconscionable conduct, fraud, extortion, harassment, blackmail, etc,) do we get involved to help them, for free without a fee. We stay away from greed and selfishness, power & control trips, etc.

Eels Dude

Coach

I think the problem with SBW was that as he was living abroad and they had no guarenteed way of serving him the court papers. They tried, but failed, and there was even the possibility of him being arrested if he attempted to return to Australia. In the end, he and and the Bulldogs settled out of court which involved SBW paying paying one million dollars compensation to the Dogs for a release for his contract, with a clause that he wasn't allowed to sign a contract with another NRL club until his original 5 year deal with them expired.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I think Pete ment in the case of having a home lone with ANZ for say and then transfering the home loan to NAB during the minimum period which you will get slapped with a nice big fee.

Same thing with Mobile phone contracts, if you try and get out of it within the term they will slap you with a fee dependent on the time left of the contract.

I think tranfer fees should occur even when players contract finish, esp with jnrs who have yet to play in the NRL because they normally cost alot more to develop. Imagine Manly had to pay us for hodgkinson and Williams and melbourne have to pay for Mahoney, we would get re-imbersed for bring them through the system and we would be able to keep more local product.

Agreed, developing juniors from Matthews, SG Ball, Toyota Cup, Wentworthville, should be rewarded. The Eels and other great nurseries have been ripped off for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.