What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eels Dude

Coach
I think tranfer fees should occur even when players contract finish, esp with jnrs who have yet to play in the NRL because they normally cost alot more to develop. Imagine Manly had to pay us for hodgkinson and Williams and melbourne have to pay for Mahoney, we would get re-imbersed for bring them through the system and we would be able to keep more local product.

I don't think you could legally implement that if a player is off contract... if a player is a free agent then technically they can do whatever they want.

caylo

Bench
I don't think you could legally implement that if a player is off contract... if a player is a free agent then technically they can do whatever they want.

THE FFA has it, if a player comes off contract and he signs a transfer fee still applies (im pretty sure, but the player get a larger cut). It could easily be set up with the NRL to register the contract or even on an international level (making it an even playing feild for all teams).

Eels Dude

Coach
THE FFA has it, if a player comes off contract and he signs a transfer fee still applies (im pretty sure, but the player get a larger cut). It could easily be set up with the NRL to register the contract or even on an international level (making it an even playing feild for all teams).

Well it would only work if all clubs, NRL and internationally signed up to it. I don't know what the FFA do, that's news to me but when I've the time I'll try and read into it. Given that the difference in size of junior catchment areas in Sydney, it just wouldn't be fair and something the NRL would refuse to even consider. Let's compare the Roosters junior catchment area compared to ours... they buy a lot of players simply because they have no choice as their junior catchment area is so small.

caylo

Bench
Well it would only work if all clubs, NRL and internationally signed up to it. I don't know what the FFA do, that's news to me but when I've the time I'll try and read into it. Given that the difference in size of junior catchment areas in Sydney, it just wouldn't be fair and something the NRL would refuse to even consider. Let's compare the Roosters junior catchment area compared to ours... they buy a lot of players simply because they have no choice as their junior catchment area is so small.

By the same token we spend millions of dollars a year developing juniors that other clubs like sydney don't. It is unfair unless we can reap the rewards. It simply means that clubs will become more profitable if they produce better juniors forcing them typo improve current development systems.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade

Yeaaaaa, but their catchment area for wealth far exceeds the Eels catchment for wealth by almost 1000 to 1. They can afford to pay for the services offered by the poorer regions. Everything balances itself out when you step back and look at the big picture.

Eels Dude

Coach
By the same token we spend millions of dollars a year developing juniors that other clubs like sydney don't. It is unfair unless we can reap the rewards. It simply means that clubs will become more profitable if they produce better juniors forcing them typo improve current development systems.

Thing is the catchment areas are drawn up and have been in place for decades. For a side like the Roosters for example, their catchment area compared to ours is like a pea compared to a watermelon. No amount of money they invest can change that. It's the way it is. They've got a few suburbs to get develop their players from... we have half of western Sydney.

caylo

Bench
Thing is the catchment areas are drawn up and have been in place for decades. For a side like the Roosters for example, their catchment area compared to ours is like a pea compared to a watermelon. No amount of money they invest can change that. It's the way it is. They've got a few suburbs to get develop their players from... we have half of western Sydney.
Yer but what about teams like manly pulling out harold mathews teams etc. the roosters and manly may have a smaller area but maybe they should start trying to appeal to young players that play rugby instead. Commission sydney uni to better it league teams etc. there is more they could do to improve league in their local regions.

Eels Dude

Coach
Yer but what about teams like manly pulling out harold mathews teams etc. the roosters and manly may have a smaller area but maybe they should start trying to appeal to young players that play rugby instead. Commission sydney uni to better it league teams etc. there is more they could do to improve league in their local regions.

Harold Matthews etc is a different story... I'm talking the junior district clubs that provide those players in the first place, the kids, not under 16s or whatever where playing for the Roosters Harold Matthews is really the best of the best of that age group. They need kids to get into the game when they're 9 or 10 years old and they have no control over that as they only have a certain amount of kids in the area they can attract to the game.

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
Hey guys, the word from the man himself, Chris Walker, is that he should announce his new club at some stage today, or at least is expected to. Stay tuned.
Just remember he might not announce his new club today as he also reported last night they were still in the process of working out his contract.

Gronk

Staff member
There is no doubt that Chris Walker can play. But IIRC he was a total knob at the Bunnies. Blamed his team mates for his mistakes or missed opportunities etc. SO I can't say I'm wrapped about him.

Gronk

Staff member
So it seems that the signing of Billy Rogers was one that wasn't leaked. Some more about him below...

Youngsters key part of rebuilding Storm

-----8<-----
Storm assistant coach Brad Arthur, who coached the under 20s last season, said he knew he had some special players in the group. ''There were probably a couple of teams [in last year's under 20s] that had some more individual brilliance but just the bunch of players we had and the culture we tried to develop from the NRL's example in the way they conduct themselves [made them successful],'' he said.
''The boys came on board with it. It was not only with the boys playing NRL now. Billy Rogers was a massive leader in that, [as was] James Woolford, blokes who really give their all for the team and made sure they played their role every week. Everything they did was what was best for the team, not what was best for them.
-----8<-----
http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...y-part-of-rebuilding-storm-20100622-yvr1.html

Storm scandal won't affect Rogers

GGT_29-04-2010_SPORT_02_Billy%20Rogers%20Storm_t325.jpg
Gympie rugby league talent Billy Rogers has been caught in the middle of the biggest scandal to ever hit the NRL. But with the Melbourne Storm guaranteed a future, Rogers’ destiny will rest in his own hands as his contract expires at the end of the year.
Warren Lynan - Sunshine Coast Daily

THE future of Gympie rugby league product Billy Rogers rests in his own hands despite the salary cap furore that has engulfed the Melbourne Storm.
The Gympie Times was unable to contact Rogers yesterday, but Gympie Devils’ Darren Burns shed some light on the situation.
Burns said Rogers, who holds aspirations of breaking into top grade footy with the Storm, would not be hit hard by the scandal.
“It won’t be barrier,” Burns said. “Melbourne still has the backing of News Limited so there will be a team.”
As a low-tier player, Rogers is unlikely to be stung next year as the embattled club is forced to shed its high flying stars to fall back under the salary cap.
While the salary cap scandal will not cost Rogers his dream of playing top level footy, Burns said the young gun still had to perform to guarantee his future in the game.
“His contract is up at the end of the year so there is definitely pressure to perform,” Burns said.
Burns last spoke to Rogers just over 10 days ago, before the controversial actions of Melbourne Storm hit the headlines.
“Billy was happy with how he was playing and training and felt the club was happy with him,” Burns said.
While the controversy won’t deny Rogers a shot at the big time, the added attention the club is receiving has the potential to be a serious distraction.
Burns believes Rogers, a former Devils’ player, has the maturity to stay focused and disciplined.
http://www.gympietimes.com.au/story/2010/04/29/in-the-eye-of-an-nrl-storm/

Melbourne+Storm+Training+Session+UHNgNVkrKmCl.jpg

boxhead

First Grade
There is no doubt that Chris Walker can play. But IIRC he was a total knob at the Bunnies. Blamed his team mates for his mistakes or missed opportunities etc. SO I can't say I'm wrapped about him.

Apparently Chris Walker is a much nicer fellow now, according to some people who know him. If that's the case, then I'm quite happy to sign him, but I would hope this is the case of course.

So it seems that the signing of Billy Rogers was one that wasn't leaked. Some more about him below...

http://www.gympietimes.com.au/story/2010/04/29/in-the-eye-of-an-nrl-storm/

Melbourne+Storm+Training+Session+UHNgNVkrKmCl.jpg

Yeah I've looked around and there's no articles anywhere about him signing with us, I'm starting to wonder whether putting him on the confirmed list was a bit premature by me. If he has signed though, he seems like a genuinely good kid and a good leader figure (and player) for our NYC side.

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah I've looked around and there's no articles anywhere about him signing with us, I'm starting to wonder whether putting him on the confirmed list was a bit premature by me. If he has signed though, he seems like a genuinely good kid and a good leader figure (and player) for our NYC side.

Boxy he's got his mug in eels gear on the actions sports photograph site - so you can take it as done.

boxhead

First Grade
Boxy he's got his mug in eels gear on the actions sports photograph site - so you can take it as done.

Oh right, I forgot about that (Doh!)
Had a look, and yep there he is.

I gotta say, our boys all look so good in the blue and gold!!!

This also confirms Pele Peletelese is staying with the club guys.

Gronk

Staff member
Oh right, I forgot about that (Doh!)
Had a look, and yep there he is.

I gotta say, our boys all look so good in the blue and gold!!!

This also confirms Pele Peletelese is staying with the club guys.

Yep, Pele has trimmed down 5kgs - he's lost the fro !
afro.png

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Got no problem with Crhis walker signing if he does, a speedstar with orign experience for less then 50k - got to be happy with that.

Think about it eels have a massive friday night game but we lose burt to an injury what would you prefer a rookie making there debut or an expereinced orgin player ?

mortz

2 things on wlaker...

1 he is sh*t

2 minimum wage got raised this year with cap increses so he is on more than 50k if he has signed

TheRam

Coach

Eels Dude, that is due to their own making. They had the opportunity to keep and develop even more juniors in their area and chose to abandon it instead so as to just pick off other clubs players.

By doing so now the Swans and Rugby have taken over as the dominent sports in the area.

Tough for them I say. They should be forced to reinvest in their own backyard and spend those millions on their kids just like Parra and other clubs have been doing all along. It is the right thing to do for them and the game long term. A no brainer really. But the NRL, as always, is thinking short term in regards to making all teams as even as possible so as not to disrupt the value of the TV rights, which they have been under selling anyway. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.