What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noa

First Grade
My view on Billy. Similar player to Dallas Johnson, bit bigger with better skillls, not as good of a hitter at this stage. Was really suprised we let him go as he was progressing nicely in the NSW Cup. But he's found himself at a ideal spot here and I can see him being your 13 for a fair while.

Gronk

Staff member
My view on Billy. Similar player to Dallas Johnson, bit bigger with better skillls, not as good of a hitter at this stage. Was really suprised we let him go as he was progressing nicely in the NSW Cup. But he's found himself at a ideal spot here and I can see him being your 13 for a fair while.

Reni might not agree with you there.

Eels Dude

Coach
Eels Dude, that is due to their own making. They had the opportunity to keep and develop even more juniors in their area and chose to abandon it instead so as to just pick off other clubs players.

By doing so now the Swans and Rugby have taken over as the dominent sports in the area.

Tough for them I say. They should be forced to reinvest in their own backyard and spend those millions on their kids just like Parra and other clubs have been doing all along. It is the right thing to do for them and the game long term. A no brainer really. But the NRL, as always, is thinking short term in regards to making all teams as even as possible so as not to disrupt the value of the TV rights, which they have been under selling anyway. :crazy:

I agree to a point. But my point is they're always going to have a disadvantage due to the small size of their junior district. They have Randwick, Maroubra and a few other suburbs where their pool of players come from... whereas as our junior base stretches from Cabramatta to the Hills district giving us a great advantage over some of the other Sydney clubs. Yes, we do well by investing in those areas, but in the same regard we have the luxury in having such a vast talent pool of players to choose from whereas clubs like Manly and the Roosters simply don't.

Gronk

Staff member
Eels Dude, that is due to their own making. They had the opportunity to keep and develop even more juniors in their area and chose to abandon it instead so as to just pick off other clubs players.

By doing so now the Swans and Rugby have taken over as the dominent sports in the area.

Tough for them I say. They should be forced to reinvest in their own backyard and spend those millions on their kids just like Parra and other clubs have been doing all along. It is the right thing to do for them and the game long term. A no brainer really. But the NRL, as always, is thinking short term in regards to making all teams as even as possible so as not to disrupt the value of the TV rights, which they have been under selling anyway. :crazy:

NFI. Ram I live in the Eastern Suburbs and I can tell you that the NRL side have got not chance in developing junior sides and that's why they gave up. We only have one public high school in the area (Randwick Boys) and the rest are Private Schools which all play rugby. The Swans are not dominant. We only have two AFL clubs in in the area, one in Roosters Territory and the other in Souths.

mrpwnd

Bench
nfi. Ram i live in the eastern suburbs and i can tell you that the nrl side have got not chance in developing junior sides and that's why they gave up. We only have one public high school in the area (randwick boys) and the rest are private schools which all play rugby. The swans are not dominant. We only have two afl clubs in in the area, one in roosters territory and the other in souths.
afl!?
Burn them on the stake.

boxhead

First Grade
The Adam Blair rumour has re-surfaced again.

Do the rumours ever stop, even after pre-season training has started!?

Maroubra Eel

Coach

Our recruitment has been so abysmal I guess there's bound to be rumours.

Who would have thought 6 months ago we'd end up like this.

Eels Dude

Coach

Nope. Just takes one person to make something up for a rumour to start. You look like you've found yourself a full time job Boxhead.

cgee221

Juniors
Welcome to the club Chris Walker :)

If we manage to sign Orford, which from my accounts is probable, then we will be completely set for 2011.

We will have extreme competition for every position. Not only that all the players in those positions have an abundance of experience!

Jarryd obviously has Fullback, Tom Humble is also an option (Origin obviously)

Three quarters: Luke Burt, Eric Grothe JNR, Joel Reddy, Timana Tahu, Jordan Atkins, Karl Filiga, Etu Uaisele, Chris Walker, Ken Sio, Jacob Loko.

Halves: Matt Orford (pending), Tom Humble, Daniel Mortimer, Brad Murray, Jeff Robson, Casey McGuire.

Hookers: Casey McGuire, Anthony Mitchell, Matt Keating, Jeff Robson.

Backrowers: Nathan Hindmarsh (c), Ben Smith, Shane Shackleton, Justin Horo, Reni Maitua, Taniela Lasalo.

Front Rowers: Fui Fui Moi Moi, Justin Poore, Tim Mannah, Carl Webb, Shane Shackleton, Manase Manukafoa, Pele Peltelese, Mitchell Allgood.

Look at the amazing competition there between very bright prospects and experienced campaigners. Next season looks very bright, particularly for Wenty.

I'm gonna go out on a limb now and tip a Wenty v Canterbury-Bankstown NSW Cup Grand Final for 2011 ;-)

boxhead

First Grade

If we manage to sign Orford, which from my accounts is probable, then we will be completely set for 2011.

We will have extreme competition for every position. Not only that all the players in those positions have an abundance of experience!

Three quarters: Luke Burt, Eric Grothe JNR, Joel Reddy, Timana Tahu, Jordan Atkins, Karl Filiga, Etu Uaisele, Chris Walker, Ken Sio, Jacob Loko.

Halves: Matt Orford (pending), Tom Humble, Daniel Mortimer, Brad Murray, Jeff Robson, Casey McGuire.

Backrowers: Nathan Hindmarsh (c), Ben Smith, Shane Shackleton, Justin Horo, Reni Maitua, Taniela Lasalo.

Front Rowers: Fui Fui Moi Moi, Justin Poore, Tim Mannah, Carl Webb, Shane Shackleton, Manase Manukafoa, Pele Peltelese, Mitchell Allgood.

Look at the amazing competition there between very bright prospects and experienced campaigners. Next season looks very bright, particularly for Wenty.

I'm gonna go out on a limb now and tip a Wenty v Canterbury-Bankstown NSW Cup Grand Final for 2011 ;-)

I definitely agree with you mate. That's the huge positive I take out of all these depth signings. We won't be short on players in positions again. It is very smart recruiting in a sense, our depth next year will be staggeringly good.

Gordy

Juniors

x3

Eels Dude

Coach
I definitely agree with you mate. That's the huge positive I take out of all these depth signings. We won't be short on players in positions again. It is very smart recruiting in a sense, our depth next year will be staggeringly good.

Thing is... when 4 members of your top 17 leave the club, you don't just recruit for depth for need to replace players who will just walk into first grade.

boxhead

First Grade
Thing is... when 4 members of your top 17 leave the club, you don't just recruit for depth for need to replace players who will just walk into first grade.

I know mate, I know there are definite problems with our recruitment this year. I'm just of the opinion that instead of going after big name players and not getting any and sitting on our heels, we have recruited a wealth of good old and young players, ones that can fill roles within the team.

Generally, the great teams in Rugby League across the ages have had good depth. Now, while we still have great deficiencies in the halves area (unless we get Orford), it's still better than nothing :)

hindy111

Post Whore
is chris walker and atkins good depth?
I was thinking LOKO and SIO where our depth and ready to step up next year? Maybe stagger can help us on this-Perhaps there both another year away

Stagger eel

Staff member
is chris walker and atkins good depth?
I was thinking LOKO and SIO where our depth and ready to step up next year? Maybe stagger can help us on this-Perhaps there both another year away

people can have all the boner they want over Sio and Loko but they don't carry the experiance the other 2 blokes have and those expecting Loko to just explode onto the scene next year maybe in for a real shock..

born an eel

Bench
people can have all the boner they want over Sio and Loko but they don't carry the experiance the other 2 blokes have and those expecting Loko to just explode onto the scene next year maybe in for a real shock..
so it's "do as I say, not what I have done".

The sort of experience these guys have, we do not want our young guys thinking that whatever they do doesn't matter as some club will pick you up in the future anyway.

mrpwnd

Bench
Look, the only player in our club where having a boner over him is okay is Hayne.
Loko still has at least 2-3 years until he can come close.

Stagger eel

Staff member
so it's "do as I say, not what I have done".

The sort of experience these guys have, we do not want our young guys thinking that whatever they do doesn't matter as some club will pick you up in the future anyway.

rubbish, Atkins is on minimum wage and Walker on 2nd tier deal, they won't be costing us much at all and if anything the likes of Sio, Loko, Gagan and Jennings should realise that they like the other 2 shouldn't be given an easy passage to first grade.

do some of you understand the purpose of fringe first graders at the club or should we reward players simply because there's no competition for spots?

hindy111

Post Whore
Thanks for your input stagger...I think personaly if you going to be a great player in the backline you make your debut by 20...Just my opinion thou.Forwards and halves different

Status
Not open for further replies.