What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
not sure if I'd want the arrogant grub

I cant believe how he is holding two clubs to ransom because he refuses to pay his own legal bills, especially after what he admitted to doing

Snoochies

First Grade
The news I received today is Orford is going to the Raiders and that is great news for the Eels. I think he is overrated, has become slower, is more injury prone and not worth the supposed $200k+. Over a season I still think Robson will be a better 7 next year than Orford. It was not a fluke he was consistent during the latter part of the 2009 season. Many other factors caused problems for the whole squad which effected Robson's game, and other players, during 2010. If we can manufacture a better organising 7 out of another player or from a player purchased for the 2011 season would help Robson move to 9 or 6 or 14.

You had it on good authority 5 months ago that Cooper Cronk was a definite signng too. :sarcasm:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
And Tim smith was sigining for 2010

You had it on good authority 5 months ago that Cooper Cronk was a definite signng too. :sarcasm:

It seems you both better go back and read my words.

I never said Tim was signed for the 2010 season. Through this forum and through others, I did everything possible to help Tim be signed by the Eels for $55k, but it did not happen. If we had Tim for the 2010 season, the Eels would have been in the top 8. What was relayed to me through those in the know, I implied the Eels were negotiating with Cronk and that he wanted to come and they were confident he was coming. These dealings were going on. I was one of the first to bring this Cronk deal/negotiation to this forum. Circumstances can change in an instant as they often do, ask Stagger & Jodeci & others about this, those who have contacts inside the club. They don't make things up and neither do I. Bar the comment about Orford, I have since just backed off sharing info in this forum from what I hear from those in the know. At times we cop too much slack that its not worth sharing info anymore. Unless we see the signed contract its still all just speculation and uncertainty. Just look at the sudden change to the Broncos & Inglis deal!!!! Almost everyone thought it was a done deal BUT..............

Noise

Coach
It seems you both better go back and read my words.

I never said Tim was signed for the 2010 season. Through this forum and through others, I did everything possible to help Tim be signed by the Eels for $55k, but it did not happen. If we had Tim for the 2010 season, the Eels would have been in the top 8. What was relayed to me through those in the know, I implied the Eels were negotiating with Cronk and that he wanted to come and they were confident he was coming. These dealings were going on. I was one of the first to bring this Cronk deal/negotiation to this forum. Circumstances can change in an instant as they often do, ask Stagger & Jodeci & others about this, those who have contacts inside the club. They don't make things up and neither do I. Bar the comment about Orford, I have since just backed off sharing info in this forum from what I hear from those in the know. At times we cop too much slack that its not worth sharing info anymore. Unless we see the signed contract its still all just speculation and uncertainty. Just look at the sudden change to the Broncos & Inglis deal!!!! Almost everyone thought it was a done deal BUT..............

Didnt ur sources also inform you that both mateo and inu would be re-signing for us too?

The Colonel

Immortal
They may have backloaded gasnier but they renegotiated existing contracts of other players to allow room for gasnier

Gasnier signed for around $150,000 this year and they have lost Jeremy Smith, Jarrod Saffy, Beau Henry, Kalifa Fai Fai Loa and Neville Costigan for 2011...... who renogotiated their contracts for this year?

Eels Dude

Coach
From what I understand you can re-negotiate existing contracts ONLY if you're extending those contracts, which makes it in fact a new contract. So we would be able to upgrade Mannah's contract for next year if he extended his contract for a further 2 years. We couldn't just do say, swap Hindy's contract around so he gets more money next year and less in 2012.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
From what I understand you can re-negotiate existing contracts ONLY if you're extending those contracts, which makes it in fact a new contract. So we would be able to upgrade Mannah's contract for next year if he extended his contract for a further 2 years. We couldn't just do say, swap Hindy's contract around so he gets more money next year and less in 2012.

exactly what I said

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
exactly what I said

You didn't mention the extension. That's a fairly significant point.

So we could change the distribution of a plyer's contract to front-load it this year but we'd have to extend it.

Players are wary of extending their contracts, especially if the extension was for a diminished amount.

Likewise, the club shoudl be wary of offering contract extensions to ageing players. Cayless showed this year that he played too long. Even last year he was little better than average, and he was probably one of the highest paid front-rowers in the NRL.

Imagine if he was still contracted for another year? We wouldn't have to play him in first grade but he'd still take a massive chunk out of the salary cap.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
You didn't mention the extension. That's a fairly significant point.

So we could change the distribution of a plyer's contract to front-load it this year but we'd have to extend it.

Players are wary of extending their contracts, especially if the extension was for a diminished amount.

Likewise, the club shoudl be wary of offering contract extensions to ageing players. Cayless showed this year that he played too long. Even last year he was little better than average, and he was probably one of the highest paid front-rowers in the NRL.

Imagine if he was still contracted for another year? We wouldn't have to play him in first grade but he'd still take a massive chunk out of the salary cap.

Pretty sure I mentioned extension here;

Thats easy it we don't buy anyone else we use the money in extending some contracts by increasing (AKA as upgrading) their 2011 contracts eg;

- We upgrade Mannah's contract so he signs for 3 more years
- If Karl fires we upgrade his contract for 2011 so he signs for a couple more years

etc, that is how we spend the money. Then in the following years we have more money as the some players would receive more of their contract money in 2011

and here;

We hear it all the time that when a player resigns with his club that he got a upgrade for the current year. It was mentioned this year when Hayne resigned. Also didn't Hindmarsh extend his contract with the eels by front loading his contract a little.

Not to sure how the NRL can tell a club what they can and cannot pay a player as long as they don't cheat the cap.

but all good . I would only use to resign players who contracts end next year or the following not aging ones like Cayless. For example I thinkl Mannah's contract ends next year, we could use it for hin, or maybe O'hanlon or loko or Filga make their first grade debut and kill it , we could sign them up for a few years using the excess cash

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Didnt ur sources also inform you that both mateo and inu would be re-signing for us too?

Yes, the impression given late last year Inu & Mateo were going to be resigned. This was implied again earlier this year as well. Things changed. I thought they would stay on with reduced contracts because of the many close bonds they both have amongst players, particularly Hayne, and others around the club. This change was one of the many circumstances that added to the rifts between players, staff & management.

ROGUE

Juniors
Who's contract? and how do you have info into the dragons contract negotiations

This was reported at the time of most of the rugby league world awaiting the announcement of saints signing him, there was a delay in announcing him signing.It is common knowledge saints did this and infact with the blessing of the nrl just to have the gasnier name back in the nrl.I got the info from a rugby journo who drinks at my local with me.

Noise

Coach
This was reported at the time of most of the rugby league world awaiting the announcement of saints signing him, there was a delay in announcing him signing.It is common knowledge saints did this and infact with the blessing of the nrl just to have the gasnier name back in the nrl.I got the info from a rugby journo who drinks at my local with me.

Fair enough, but who exactly renegotiated their contracts??? As the colonel pointed out they signed him for only about 150000 and let go a heap of players including Costigan and Jeremy Smith to fit him in for the following years.

Which player renegotiated their contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.