What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxhead

First Grade
I don't care what religion they are. If they have faith..good on em.
If Hillsong suits them fine.

Exactly my view, I find it dis-respectful when people bag others' religion (like when Hannant copped stuff from Bryce Gibbs about being a Mormon).

Originally posted by parra pete
Wonder if one of the new signings will be Adam Blair ?????

This has been raised, especially with the Stephen Kearney potential signing.....Staggs says it is unlikely though; Blair is more heavily linked to the Bulldogs apparently.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...o-take-helm-at-parramatta-20100928-15vu2.html

McGuire jumps on board with Kearney set to take helm at Parramatta
Brad Walter
September 29, 2010

FORMER Queensland representative Casey McGuire is returning to Parramatta next season and the Eels are hopeful of securing the services of Matt Orford or Craig Gower to play halfback under Stephen Kearney next season.

Parramatta officials will also move to extend the contract of dual international Timana Tahu, who is a free agent after initially signing a one-year deal to return to the Eels from rugby union this season.

The Eels board met last night but no decision was made on the coaches position - however Kearney remains the overwhelming favourite.

McGuire, who began his career with Parramatta in 1998 and was a member of Brisbane's 2006 premiership-winning team before joining Catalans three years ago, has agreed to a one-year deal with the Eels. It is understood negotiations with McGuire were instigated by Daniel Anderson before his sacking as coach on Sunday night but the Herald was told yesterday the 30-year-old would still be at the club next season to play under Kearney.

With Parramatta officials hoping Orford or Gower will also return from Europe to join the Eels next season, McGuire is expected to be used as a hooker but he can also play halfback or five-eighth.

Orford is keen to come home after an injury-riddled season with Bradford and has been in talks with Parramatta and Canberra but the Bulls are reluctant to release him, while Gower has expressed an interest in returning to the NRL after three seasons playing in France's Top 14 rugby competition.

Gower, 32, is weighing up an offer of a further two years with Bayonne and the lure of playing for Italy in next year's Rugby World Cup, against a desire to raise his young family in Australia. After missing out on Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk and Wallabies playmaker Quade Cooper, the Eels remain cashed up but it is believed their preference is to sign either Orford or Gower for just one season. They would then hope to lure Cronk or Cooper to play under Kearney in 2012.

As the Storm's assistant coach, Kearney has a close relationship with Cronk, while his role as Kiwis Test coach may be an added lure to Cooper, who grew up playing league in New Zealand. Cooper was tempted by Parramatta's $3.2 million four-year deal but chose to re-sign with the Australian Rugby Union until after the World Cup in New Zealand at the end of next season.

He is widely tipped to switch codes the following season.

The Herald was told yesterday that Eels CEO Paul Osborne had tried to phone Anderson on Sunday night to advise him of his sacking, but could not contact him and sent an email instead.

Meanwhile, New Zealand international Greg Eastwood is set to rejoin Canterbury on a three-year contract and is just awaiting the Bulldogs and Super League premiers Leeds to finalise a deal for his release later this week.

Elsewhere , former Wests Tigers star Pat Richards has won English rugby league's top individual award, The Man of Steel. The prolific goal-kicking winger capped a sweep of the Super League awards for Wigan.

boxhead

First Grade
Thanks for that El Diablo, that is good news.
So the Cronk/Kearney rumours have some substance, just not in regards to this season.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Parramatta officials will also move to extend the contract of dual international Timana Tahu, who is a free agent after initially signing a one-year deal to return to the Eels from rugby union this season.

why :?

boxhead

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...amp-for-eels-job/story-e6freye0-1225931226413

Stephen Kearney waits on rubber stamp for Eels job

* Josh Massoud
* September 29, 2010 12:01AM

STEPHEN Kearney is set to be confirmed as Parramattta's new coach within a week after meeting the entire Eels board Tuesday night.

Sport Confidential can reveal Kearney travelled from Melbourne to front all seven Eels directors for over an hour at Parramatta Leagues Club. The in-person visit represents the final step in Parramattta's pursuit of Kearney, which began in earnest over a month ago when CEO Paul Osborne travelled to Victoria for a secret meeting with the Kiwi mentor. It's believed Parramatta officials are leaning toward offering Kearney a three-year deal, the same tenure his predecessor Daniel Anderson failed to complete after being sensationally sacked by the Eels on Sunday night. And should Kearney get the job, there will be little or no chance of Matt Orford resurrecting his NRL career in blue and gold. While Anderson encouraged talks with the 2008 Dally M medallist because he felt the Eels need an experienced half to be competitive, Kearney is understood to be looking elsewhere.

ONE possible option for the Eels could be Johnathan Thurston, who, if you listen to the grapevine up north, is on extremely thin ice at the Cowboys. The club's new directors and CEOs have taken a very dim view of Thurston's recent arrest, and there's been talk about cutting the maestro half loose just five months after he inked a $2 million, three-year extension. We still reckon he'll remain a Cowboy in 2011, but without the responsibility of being captain. Should he go, however, the Eels still have big bucks to spare from their futile bids for Quade Cooper and Brett Kimmorley.

Read the bolded part :shock: :shock:
Little chance but still...wow.

So that part about Kearney probably confirms Jodeci's earlier report that Orford will not sign now?
I wonder who he is looking at, if not Orford? The club wanted an experienced half, and it looks like Kearney doesn't want Orford....wonder who he would want???
Thanks to El Diablo for the news.

Forty20

First Grade
What has me stumped is whence exactly 'elsewhere' lies? We have exhausted nearly every external avenue barring Gower and perhaps Barrett, which would leave Kearney backing someone from our own stable or simply riding out 2011 (taking any genuine result as a bonus) and playing hardball for 2012.

CrazyEel

Bench
What has me stumped is whence exactly 'elsewhere' lies? We have exhausted nearly every external avenue barring Gower and perhaps Barrett, which would leave Kearney backing someone from our own stable or simply riding out 2011 (taking any genuine result as a bonus) and playing hardball for 2012.
As we were chasing Orford up until very recently one would presume "elsewhere" is somewhere that opened up with the aquisition of Kearney.

Forty20

First Grade

So that means that Tahu isn't locked into a massively backended 3 year contract like we originally thought?

That isn't exactly the worst news I've heard lately...

Forty20

First Grade
As we were chasing Orford up until very recently one would presume "elsewhere" is somewhere that opened up with the aquisition of Kearney.

Valid point, it just feels like at this point we have been linked to every available option short of Sterlo limbering up and putting his footy kit on once more.

I am more then happy to be surprised though so no complaints at the possibility of a new contender.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Did not play any NYC this year played in 18s.He is from Wagga Kangaroos.
We have Sam Williams and Mick Picker in the NYC team..and they are beauties and will be good back ups for Campo and Josh McCrone.
We are still keen on getting Matty Orford as mentors for these blokes. Williams, btw, was rated the top halfback in NYC this season.

Former Wagga Kangaroos junior Cameron Breust will be heading to Sydney next year to play with Parramatta Eels, after signing with the Eels to play in their under 20 NRL team.
The next few months will be busy for the 19-year-old who was selected in the Australian University rugby league team for its overseas tour in November.
Breust has been named as five-eighth in the touring side which will play representative games in France and England.
I spoke with the up-coming halves player, while he was relaxing at home with his family, about his move from Canberra to Sydney and his new club the Eels.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2010/09/06/3003791.htm?site=riverina&section=sport

Why is it bruest played in the final against souths?

I saw Williams in that game.. Deadset if he is the future you are in for a lonnnnnnnng wait. A genuine 3/4 years off.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So that means that Tahu isn't locked into a massively backended 3 year contract like we originally thought?

That isn't exactly the worst news I've heard lately...

thats actually very good news, I had the same concerns

I dont mind his contract being extended but I just hope its reflective of his current from and not his reputation

he needs to learn to play the team game and not his own game, running up out of the line and going for the big hits, and it wouldn't hurt to see him pass the ball now and then either

Gordy

Juniors
thats actually very good news, I had the same concerns

I dont mind his contract being extended but I just hope its reflective of his current from and not his reputation

he needs to learn to play the team game and not his own game, running up out of the line and going for the big hits, and it wouldn't hurt to see him pass the ball now and then either

Can he actually pass the ball Twiz? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.