What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxhead

First Grade
For those that like to have confirmation from the papers an article in the Sunday Telegraph tomorrow will dictate that the Eels terminated negotiations with Matt Orford, and Stephen Kearney has told Daniel Mortimer and Jeff Robson they have the job of taking us to the finals if they want it.
Of course, this is reportedly.

lucablight

First Grade
For those that like to have confirmation from the papers an article in the Sunday Telegraph tomorrow will dictate that the Eels terminated negotiations with Matt Orford, and Stephen Kearney has told Daniel Mortimer and Jeff Robson they have the job of taking us to the finals if they want it.

What a joke. We let go of so many players so we could sign a halfback and in the end it seems like we will end up signing no one. We could have at least kept Mateo. Very annoyed.

Eels Dude

Coach

I believe the first part because it was speculated earlier this week we'd be withdrawing our offer to Orford because it was taking too damn long. I doubt Kearney would have said that to Mortimor and Robson though, if he did i'm not impressed. This is the tele, it'll be online in an hour.

Delboy

First Grade
Ummmm, DA made the decision to release Mateo,Inu and KK, (and Jono) wonder what his plans were to replace them. Not really much out there , only decent player to move was Jeremy Smith, hope there is an opportunity to bank the spare cash or at least front load some extensions.

Looks like the roster is probably 2 NRL players short of where it should be, need some players to jump out of the ground a la Horo in 2011.

Going to do it very tough with Morts and Robbo as 6 and 7, think it puts a lot of pressure on Murray as I expect him in the side sooner rather than later.

Eels Dude

Coach
Ummmm, DA made the decision to release Mateo,Inu and KK, (and Jono) wonder what his plans were to replace them. Not really much out there , only decent player to move was Jeremy Smith, hope there is an opportunity to bank the spare cash or at least front load some extensions.

He didn't make the the decision to 'release' them, he made the decision not to renew their contracts before the halfway mark of the season and they decided to sign elsewhere. As a coach what would you have done? If we re-signed those players and thus weren't financially in the market for Cooper, Barrett, Orford etc you'd be bagging him for that instead.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
still plenty of off-season training and pre season trials for Kearney to realise robson is sh*t and mortimer is not a half back- I am sure he will realise it.

I put money on either Murray / Humble or Macguire being half for the start of the seasons

Parra Pride

Coach
PARRAMATTA will rely on the old pairing of Daniel Mortimer and Jeff Robson after negotiations with veteran halfback Matt Orford were terminated last week.

The Eels were considered short-priced favourites to sign Orford, who is eager to return to the NRL despite being contracted to English Super League club Bradford.

However, talks between Parramatta management and Orford were formally closed last Friday.

It would appear Canberra are now in the box seat to snare Orford. The Raiders are desperate to sign the former premiership-winning No. 7 as a replacement for injured skipper Terry Campese.

But in a further twist, The Sunday Telegraph has learned that Orford is considering sitting out the 2011 season and possibly playing with the Central Coast Bears in an expanded competition in 2012.

While the Eels were unwilling to wait any longer for a decision from Orford, as he strives to gain a release from Bradford, it is believed that instability at the Parramatta club over the past 18 months contributed to the 32-year-old's reluctance to sign on the dotted line.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Either way, Orford joins a long miss-list of Eels targets - including retired veterans Trent Barrett and Brett Kimmorley, rugby union stars Quade Cooper and Craig Gower, and representative stars Cooper Cronk and Braith Anasta - to have knocked back the besieged club over the past six months.

New Eels coach Stephen Kearney spoke with Mortimer and Robson recently, telling them that the job of steering the club back to the finals was there next season if they wanted it.

Mortimer's father and former Canterbury legend Peter said it was up to Daniel to make the most of the opportunity offered by Kearney.

"Time will tell," Peter said of his son's ability to shine next season.

"I haven't spoken to Stephen Kearney, but everyone I've spoken to speaks very highly of him.

"So if he's made the decision to go with Daniel and Jeff, then they're going to have to perform up to his expectations.

"The ball is in both the boys' court now.

"I can see Daniel's attitude just in the last four weeks has been a little bit more driven."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/eels-face-the-orford-truth/story-fn6e0tx4-1225961956799

Last edited by a moderator:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
He didn't make the the decision to 'release' them, he made the decision not to renew their contracts before the halfway mark of the season and they decided to sign elsewhere. As a coach what would you have done? If we re-signed those players and thus weren't financially in the market for Cooper, Barrett, Orford etc you'd be bagging him for that instead.

Exactly, and without options you are stuffed, A full cap leaves you without options to take advantage of the oportunities as they present themselves down-the-line. With options freed up, we now have the flexibility to grab those opportunities as they present. DA is a very clever boy. Shame on those who don't see all the good he was doing for the club/team long-term.

mickdo

Coach
it is believed that instability at the Parramatta club over the past 18 months contributed to the 32-year-old's reluctance to sign on the dotted line.

Oh please, he doesn't even have a release yet :lol:

Journos and their agendas

Bigfella

Coach
I'm tipping the instability would have seemed very minor had we been prepared to stump up the transfer fee...

boxhead

First Grade
I believe the first part because it was speculated earlier this week we'd be withdrawing our offer to Orford because it was taking too damn long. I doubt Kearney would have said that to Mortimor and Robson though, if he did i'm not impressed. This is the tele, it'll be online in an hour.

Why aren't you impressed mate? I know your opinion of our halves so I won't question that but what I mean is, who else do we look to? Robson and Mortimer are our only proven first-grade halves, unfortunately.
Kearney may take the risk on Murray, Humble and so on; just wait and see ok? :)

boxhead

First Grade
still plenty of off-season training and pre season trials for Kearney to realise robson is sh*t and mortimer is not a half back- I am sure he will realise it.

I put money on either Murray / Humble or Macguire being half for the start of the seasons

Problem is mate, Kearney probably sees it that Humble and Murray are unproven as first-grade halves, whilst Mortimer and Robson, whilst not spectacular as a combination, are proven and we know they can do a job.
With Mcguire, I am unsure as to how well he would go at halfback after all these years.....

Thing is, I'd like Robson somewhere in the team as he is a really versatile utility; someone Tom Humble can take after as he develops. I think Mortimer has proven he is a five-eighth and not a halfback, so I am willing to take a punt on Murray, Humble or Mcguire at halfback.

However, I am not the coach and I think I don't have any right to question what Kearney decides, in the end. If he believes that taking a risk (minor or large depending on the player) on one of those three is inadvisable, then I will stick by his opinion. If he tells Robson and Mortimer they are the halves and gives them every opportunity to perform and helps them develop well then maybe, maybe we will see a successful season.

In the end, it's the coach to decide and we just have to hope he picks it right - or rather, he ends up finding a working combination.

If he picks a halves combo we don't like, well we will just have to hope for the best and support our team :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.