What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eels Dude

Coach
True but their recruitment reminds me a little of us last yr. Did well in the forwards and bought some strike power out wide, but losing Friend,Presto and Laffranchi and not strengthening their spine could be a massive mistake. And Prince is really looking his age. We lost Kinga who was hardly as instrumental as Friend and it hurt us bad.

Laffranchi is past it. Friend is also nearing the end of his career. He'll be 31 next year and the Titans may be targetting a younger hooker. Losing Cambell at fullback isn't really a big deal they have plenty of young players at the club already who could easily slot into fullback in necessary.

Laffranchi is past it. Friend is also nearing the end of his career. He'll be 31 next year and the Titans may be targetting a younger hooker. Losing Cambell at fullback isn't really a big deal they have plenty of young players at the club already who could easily slot into fullback in necessary.
Friend is going to the Warriors next year.

Eels Dude

Coach
Friend is going to the Warriors next year.

I'm aware of that, hence why I said the Titans perhaps weren't too fussed with Friend leaving because they wanted to target younger players in the number 9 jersey as opposed to offering Friend a new expensive contract.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But who have they got to replace Friend and Presto??? Tits without Friend are nowhere near the same team, Presto may be past it but so is Prince. They are taking a big a risk on Rookies in the 6 and 9. If it pays off fine if not they will end up like us last year. I mean look at Inglis at Souths, best centre in the game but has hardly made an impact without quality ball.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So I guess that makes (in the Tits opinion) Tonga as average.

What's wrong with average players? Especially bigstrongfast ones.

They've generally got the most improvement left in them.

And even if they don't improve they're still average. That means you don't have to upgrade them when their contract is up.

The Titans are buying wide players and front-rowers because there aren't enough quality spine players left to buy. We've got Hayne and Sandow next year, so we can get away with a couple of average players out wide. It's certainly better than the below average players we've had to put up with this year.

Gronk

Staff member
What's wrong with average players? Especially bigstrongfast ones.

They've generally got the most improvement left in them.

And even if they don't improve they're still average. That means you don't have to upgrade them when their contract is up.

The Titans are buying wide players and front-rowers because there aren't enough quality spine players left to buy. We've got Hayne and Sandow next year, so we can get away with a couple of average players out wide. It's certainly better than the below average players we've had to put up with this year.

Yes average is an improvement on below average. :?

El Diablo

Post Whore
OWAAT_NRL_Logo_Portrait_normal.jpg

ONE_NRL OneNRL

Esi Tonga signs with @TheParraEels "I was really impressed with the plan the Eels have & feel I’ll be able to play my best footy there” #NRL

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I know people get the shits when I bag Poore, but if he is there we cant afford Blair.

I agree we have too much money tied up in the front-row.

Mannah, Fui and Poore are probably all on at least $250k. We just don't need that kind of quality in depth. But Fui will be 32 at the end of this year. He's got to retire eventually (or does he??? Petero's 45 and still making rep teams. Who knows how long Fui will keep chugging along? Polynesians generally don't age well but Petero's blown that truism out of the water).

My point is Poore will be great for us when Fui retires but at the moment having 3 props of that quality is a bit of a redundancy.

proto

Juniors
i think Tonga is a good signing. You know not every signing we make (save for Sandow) means they walk into the first grade team. Him & Vaivai = depth & pushing the other guys for places. Maybe it will give a guy like Morgan playing this week that extra incentive to play really well.

Jus sayin

Eels Dude

Coach
But who have they got to replace Friend and Presto??? Tits without Friend are nowhere near the same team, Presto may be past it but so is Prince. They are taking a big a risk on Rookies in the 6 and 9. If it pays off fine if not they will end up like us last year. I mean look at Inglis at Souths, best centre in the game but has hardly made an impact without quality ball.

Who says they're going to play with a rookie at numbers 6 and 9? They have William Zillman and Greg Bird who can play at 5'8th and they will probably make a play for De Gois. Otherwise there's other off contract hookers like Paul Aiton or Aaron Payne they may go for.

If they ended up with a spine that consisted of

1. Zillman/ Mead
6. Bird/ Zillman
7. Prince
9. De Gois

That would be very impressive.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Who says they're going to play with a rookie at numbers 6 and 9? They have William Zillman and Greg Bird who can play at 5'8th and they will probably make a play for De Gois. Otherwise there's other off contract hookers like Paul Aiton or Aaron Payne they may go for.

If they ended up with a spine that consisted of

1. Zillman/ Mead
6. Bird/ Zillman
7. Prince
9. De Gois

That would be very impressive.
How will they have the money for De Gois or Payne??? You'd think they'd be pushing the cap as is, they have spent well over a mill for 4 players. Have just re-signed Bailey and have Prince on there books who you would think would be on Big dollars. They are banking on Seizer and their under 20's hooker who looks handy to come good. As i said if they can fill those spots the Tits are laughing if not they may struggle. Not bagging their recruitment but those 4 guys doesn't mean an instant premiership.

Eels Dude

Coach
But Fui will be 32 at the end of this year. He's got to retire eventually (or does he??? Petero's 45 and still making rep teams. Who knows how long Fui will keep chugging along? Polynesians generally don't age well but Petero's blown that truism out of the water).

I think what helps Fui is the fact that for a 31 year old he hasn't played that much NRL football. Most players his age have racked up well over 200 games but Fui's only played 130. So his body is probably holding up a bit better than other 31 year old props out there. But that may have changed by the end of next year of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts