What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
AFL boss Andrew Demetriou said yesterday that Folau had phoned him on Wednesday to assure him that he was happy in the new code.

possible translation

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou phoned Folau yesterday to tell him he could not get out of his contract

forward pass

Coach
possible translation

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou phoned Folau yesterday to tell him he could not get out of his contract

That would be it. Demetriou is a tough,tough businessman. He would not let him go. He single handedly has the AFL players union on its knees.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I this whole Falau and cutie thing to AFL has been a total waste of time and money

biggest dud the AFl have ever some up with, letting him go would be a huge admission of error

TeHEel

Juniors
I this whole Falau and cutie thing to AFL has been a total waste of time and money

biggest dud the AFl have ever some up with, letting him go would be a huge admission of error

No it was/is all marketing aimed at getting media coverage in the lead-up to the new teams introduction. It helps with raising membership and corporate sponsership. If you believe it's about the individuals (KH & IF) then you are mistaken.

They are being used (though paid nicely) as a breathing billboard. Falau will be back well before his AFL contract runs out...

MrT

Juniors

lol how will it look next year when the highest paid player in AFL can't play 1st grade

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
lol how will it look next year when the highest paid player in AFL can't play 1st grade

I don't think it really matters how it looks. League fans will say it makes the AFL look stupid; AFL fans will say it shows league players are useless.

Either way the extra publicity is great for the AFL, but you'd think it's not a tactic they'll try again in the future.

MrT

Juniors
I don't think it really matters how it looks. League fans will say it makes the AFL look stupid; AFL fans will say it shows league players are useless.

Either way the extra publicity is great for the AFL, but you'd think it's not a tactic they'll try again in the future.

It can cause disharmany expecially within GWS. Imagine being a talented younf player and your busting your guts and a player on 5x more has no idea. Like you said they won't do it again.

If Folau doesn't make the grade, who's going to go and watch?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It can cause disharmany expecially within GWS.

I agree this is the main downside, and I'm sure it's hurt the clubs involved. Not sure it'll really hurt the AFL though, however it's the main reason they probably won't try it again.

Imagine being a talented younf player and your busting your guts and a player on 5x more has no idea. Like you said they won't do it again.

Yeah agreed.

If Folau doesn't make the grade, who's going to go and watch?

I think they've already reaped the benfit - increased media exposure of the new clubs. It doesn't really matter much how Folau plays or who goes to watch because these two signings were all about putting the new clubs on the map, which they definitely have done.

The players themselves are unlikely to be drawcards in the future, especially after half a season of mediocrity (or worse). That's why it's likely they'll be released before their contracts are up. That said, they'd probably have to forfeit the money for the years they don't play which would involve paying their agents their commission out of their own pockets.

For Folau and Hunt it'll come down to the choice between taking less money to go back to league (or union) or staying in the AFL on big bucks and sucking balls for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.