What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
You must know stagger?
He throws the big parties for all the special members on here.Good parties too.Women and beer and food for all.Why do you think we missed him so much.......
Whens the next party stagger-Or should i say Stag master

yeah yeah soon..I'll make sure you make the short list next time.

Gronk

Staff member
The fan link on that other site (you can't utter their name around here - a bit like Harry Potter/Voldemort :roll:) Ossie contributes to a Fan Q&A from time to time.

To summarise his last few posts:-

No, Humble isn't signed for next year, but we are talking to him.
No, Casey isn't signed for next year, but we are talking to him.
No, Mateo is not in our future plans.

Lastly, someone asked him about the Sterlo/Tonga situation and he gave his best ex-politicians response - he didn't answer the Q whatsoever and applauded the Eels fan base.

84 Baby

Referee
Just did some sums using any news reportsI could find.
Assuming we do nab Willie Tonga, that'll leave (by my calcs) $200k to be divided between 3 squad members. Which is tight and obviously why it hasn't been announced yet.
This also doesn't bode well for our current minimum wage earners coming off contract, especially Etu & Manase.
These are the 5 I'm talking of and 2012 situation:

McGuire - due to the amount of games he's played this season, even if he comes back on absolute minimum, his deemed value is probably going to bust more than a 1/3rd of the available cap. He'll probably retire.

Hicks - deemed value won't be as high, but it'll be more than absolute minimum. I think retirement is coming as well.

Humble - I think this is a major reason why we haven't and won't see him in first grade this year. His deemed value in 2012 will be this salary whoever is paying him next year. Luckily or unluckily for him, the drug saga works out in the clubs favour as lack of game time may stop other clubs approaching him. If he does stay it'll be on $55k. I think he'll move on.

Manuokafoa - same situation as Hicks but he's younger. I unfortunately think for Manase that he'll be in the NRL wilderness next year.

Uaisele - because he's played 11 games, he's in a tough place. If we can wrangle him into 2nd tier, he might stay. If not, I can't see him at Parra again.

The real good thing will be next year when we get back around $1.8m to cover 13 spots

Tony Bongo

Bench
Assuming we do nab Willie Tonga, that'll leave (by my calcs) $200k to be divided between 3 squad members. Which is tight and obviously why it hasn't been announced yet.
This also doesn't bode well for our current minimum wage earners coming off contract, especially Etu & Manase.

McGuire - due to the amount of games he's played this season, even if he comes back on absolute minimum, his deemed value is probably going to bust more than a 1/3rd of the available cap. He'll probably retire.

Hicks - deemed value won't be as high, but it'll be more than absolute minimum. I think retirement is coming as well.

Humble - I think this is a major reason why we haven't and won't see him in first grade this year. His deemed value in 2012 will be this salary whoever is paying him next year. Luckily or unluckily for him, the drug saga works out in the clubs favour as lack of game time may stop other clubs approaching him. If he does stay it'll be on $55k. I think he'll move on.

Manuokafoa - same situation as Hicks but he's younger. I unfortunately think for Manase that he'll be in the NRL wilderness next year.

Uaisele - because he's played 11 games, he's in a tough place. If we can wrangle him into 2nd tier, he might stay. If not, I can't see him at Parra again.

The real good thing will be next year when we get back around $1.8m to cover 13 spots

Did you factor in the extra 100k that the clubs have been given for next year ?

Eels Dude

Coach

I wouldn't use news reports to try and calculate our salary cap position. They're often way off the mark with their 'reported' salaries. Also when you consider third party deals, long term concessions, back ended deals and contract upgrades etc. you really can't make an exact estimate on how much we are under the cap we are for next year if you're an outsider looking it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I heard something really frightening the other day about the way out contracts were structured 2 years ago, we will still be effected in some way next year but thank god the current mob are on top of it.

84 Baby

Referee
Did you factor in the extra 100k that the clubs have been given for next year ?
I did but haven't factored in any other allowances that may be floating around as they unlikely to affect our salary cap space at the end of this year. End of next year with Hindy and Burt off contract is a different story

hindy111

Post Whore
Do we get cencession on Justin Poores contract cause he was out most the year?
If so did you factor that?
Id also be prepared to say carl webb will look in england

84 Baby

Referee
I wouldn't use news reports to try and calculate our salary cap position. They're often way off the mark with their 'reported' salaries. Also when you consider third party deals, long term concessions, back ended deals and contract upgrades etc. you really can't make an exact estimate on how much we are under the cap we are for next year if you're an outsider looking it.
Just an estimate using best available info

Eels Dude

Coach
I heard something really frightening the other day about the way out contracts were structured 2 years ago, we will still be effected in some way next year but thank god the current mob are on top of it.

2 years ago the current mob had were already in control. Or are you referring to prior to 2009 with Fitzy and co?

Stagger eel

Staff member
2 years ago the current mob had were already in control. Or are you referring to prior to 2009 with Fitzy and co?

well this has nothing to do with the board or even the CEO, just the football operations unit ie: head coach/recruitment manager.

84 Baby

Referee
I think Stagger may be referring to a certain rookie who blabs info to certain tv commentators who has now brought in some new experienced staff to help with recruitment

Eels Dude

Coach
We should get something for Poore being unavailable for the entire year. Not to mention Reddy.

For this year not next year. We're probably using it to pay players from outside our 25 who would more than likely be on incentive based deals, such as Allgood and O'Hanlon.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think Stagger may be referring to a certain rookie who blabs info to certain tv commentators who has now brought in some new experienced staff to help with recruitment

well at the end of the day, he would have to be responsable for what went on but it wasn't his doing..in hindsight he probably should of over ruled some of the decisions made..

Eels Dude

Coach
well this has nothing to do with the board or even the CEO, just the football operations unit ie: head coach/recruitment manager.

Fair enough. I would have thought the CEO and senior administration staff with number crunching skills would be overlooking contracts and deciding the best way to structure them as opposed to coaching staff. If they weren't in charge or had a say they should have been.

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Fair enough. I would have thought the CEO and senior administration staff would be overlooking with number crunching skills would be overlooking contracts and deciding the best way to structure them as opposed to coaching staff. If they weren't in charge or had a say they should have been.

well that's actually what I thought before I found out that rocket was doing a lot of that work with DA.

Eels Dude

Coach
well that's actually what I thought before I found out that rocket was doing a lot of that work with DA.

Well they shouldn't have been given that responsibility in the first place, coaches and recruiters are there to coach and recruit. They're not experts in finances and salary cap structures so the buck has to stop with who gave them that power in the first place. You shouldn't be allocating such tasks to people who have no experience in handling such affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.