What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
So the new admin have been perfect because they say so?

That is pretty much my only gripe, they seem to go out of their way to tell everybody (several randoms have also satiated the same thing when speaking with any of them) that they have done nothing wrong!

Just wish they'd put their hand up every now and then is all....

nup, their far from perfect and if you'd seen my earlier I more or less blame our CEO for the way the restructuring of the contracts were handled..

CrazyEel

Bench
Kornstar, I agree , what we would all like is some real info about direction and signings, problem is that we criticise every so called leak.

In a way, the fun times were under Brain Smith, he had a way of getting things out and the fans were able to talk about it, maybe social networking has taken the fun out of it all. This forum has got pretty negative to be honest, but that is the current media I guess, glad I am a baby boomer and enjoyed life when it was much more fun.
Yep, I too keep wondering why all the negativity and doomy outlooks when there is so much to be enjoyed in life, but then 2 years of being shot at does affect one's outlook on life I suppose.

born an eel

Bench
Kornstar, I agree , what we would all like is some real info about direction and signings, problem is that we criticise every so called leak.

In a way, the fun times were under Brain Smith, he had a way of getting things out and the fans were able to talk about it, maybe social networking has taken the fun out of it all. This forum has got pretty negative to be honest, but that is the current media I guess, glad I am a baby boomer and enjoyed life when it was much more fun.
I think a Members night would be great to let everyone know what is going on :sarcasm:

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think a Members night would be great to let everyone know what is going on :sarcasm:

nothing sarcastic about that, you're absolutely right and i have no idea why didn't get one this year..of all the years, this is the year really deserved one.

Eels Dude

Coach
nothing sarcastic about that, you're absolutely right and i have no idea why didn't get one this year..of all the years, this is the year really deserved one.

I think that's a very good point. If membership is the way of the future then shouldn't the club try to make members feel like part of the club, instead of distancing themselves from fans.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think that's a very good point. If membership is the way of the future then shouldn't the club try to make members feel like part of the club, instead of distancing themselves from fans.

well if there was an arguement put forward on their part (just playing devils advocate for a moment) then they would say that the after match presentation every home game is enough public contact, as much as myself and the other fluff brigade enjoy it, it would be great to have an info night, even if you could substitute 3 or 4 of those after match thingys for one info.

SDM

First Grade

:lol: That quote is gold. Sums up a generation of selfish old merkins who took more from the environment then they put in. And now they want to moan about having to lie in the bed they made.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
To be fair if you were weighing up your options between choosing which club to go to every player is going to consider the side's on field results as none are going to want to join a struggling team unless they're offered overs. It's just common sense.

No they also go for opportunity.

If you were an upcoming hooker, would you sign with Melbourne (Smith and Hinchcliffe) or Parra (Keating and nobody)?

I'm sure when Roberts and Esi Tonga signed with us, our lack of quality at centre and five-eighth was a selling point.

Eels Dude

Coach
No they also go for opportunity.

If you were an upcoming hooker, would you sign with Melbourne (Smith and Hinchcliffe) or Parra (Keating and nobody)?

I'm sure when Roberts and Esi Tonga signed with us, our lack of quality at centre and five-eighth was a selling point.

That's true but it's a bit different with Esi and Roberts as they're both just solid first graders, if that, so they take what they can get.

But if you're talking about a genuine rep player (which we are in this instance) who has 4 or 5 clubs interested in signing him then of course the sides' current form will be a factor in his decision as to which club to join.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I think there's a pretty hefty mess to sort out, and still a lot of uncertainty being dealt with before they can give our idiot fans any more fuel for drama.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

:lol: That quote is gold. Sums up a generation of selfish old merkins who took more from the environment then they put in. And now they want to moan about having to lie in the bed they made.

Yep f**k the Boomers.

merkins f**king own everything, they're going to live forever, and me and my kids have to pay for it.

Retire at 65, live to 100. But don't create enough new taxpayers to carry the burden. Well done.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But if you're talking about a genuine rep player (which we are in this instance) who has 4 or 5 clubs interested in signing him then of course the sides' current form will be a factor in his decision as to which club to join.

What matters more is their projected performance, and unless the guy knows nothing about footy he would see the Eels will perform much better next year.

Everyone in the media knows it, all the players we've signed know it. You'd think a superstar would be cluey enough to see it.

I think these 'Eels are shit' rumours are just bullshit designed to discredit the administration. Even the Titans have had no trouble signing players for next year.

CrazyEel

Bench
Yep f**k the Boomers.

merkins f**king own everything, they're going to live forever, and me and my kids have to pay for it.

Retire at 65, live to 100. But don't create enough new taxpayers to carry the burden. Well done.
Actually I retired at 50 thanks to the debt you lot were willing to incur because you just had to have everything straight away. In case I forget to mention it over the next 40 years of enjoying those fruits, thanks heaps for doing that. :lol:

Eels Dude

Coach
What matters more is their projected performance, and unless the guy knows nothing about footy he would see the Eels will perform much better next year.

Everyone in the media knows it, all the players we've signed know it. You'd think a superstar would be cluey enough to see it.

I think these 'Eels are shit' rumours are just bullshit designed to discredit the administration. Even the Titans have had no trouble signing players for next year.

Can't agree with you there Poupou... I don't think players from rival clubs pay much attention to how opposition sides are building for next year like us forum members do. And if they did, they may not necessarily form the same opinion that you have.

At the end of the day a top line player watching last night's game is going to question to himself "Do I really want to join this club" and fair enough if they think that way.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Actually I retired at 50 thanks to the debt you lot were willing to incur because you just had to have everything straight away. In case I forget to mention it over the next 40 years of enjoying those fruits, thanks heaps for doing that. :lol:

The only debt I've got is investment debt.

But I haven't been able to get as much value for my money because you merkins won't die. At least your own fathers did you that favour.

boxhead

First Grade
Can't agree with you there Poupou... I don't think players from rival clubs pay much attention to how opposition sides are building for next year like us forum members do. And if they did, they may not necessarily form the same opinion that you have.

At the end of the day a top line player watching last night's game is going to question to himself "Do I really want to join this club" and fair enough if they think that way.

You seemed to ignore what he said about the Titans. Also, look at the Sharks. When both clubs made their big signings, they were playing like absolute horse-crap; the latter had been doing it for over two years! Frankly, whoever created these rumors either is telling fibs or they have been given rotten information. I've no doubt a clubs performance in a particular year would slightly affect players' decisions to go there, but realistically, it is not as major a factor as you are making out. What players are mostly concerned about are securing their financial and playing future, and going to a struggling club with lots of unfilled squad positions is a good way to achieve both.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Can't agree with you there Poupou... I don't think players from rival clubs pay much attention to how opposition sides are building for next year like us forum members do.

Oh they certainly do.

They know all about new signings and they're all interested in checking out the setup. It's all a factor.

And if they did, they may not necessarily form the same opinion that you have.

I think they're more likely to see it the same way as the media experts than the nuffies nobody listens to.

And before you predictably bag the media 'experts' for their 'expertise', you have to understand their credentials are better than anyone else's - they're at least paid for their opinions.

Nah bullshit.

Last night's performance didn't erase the previous 10 weeks of effort and commitment, and only a fan who thinks with his heart would believe it does.

Every team has off nights. The $6 million Storm lost a grand final 40-0 despite 'winning' the grand finals either side of it.

Players don't pay much attention to aberrant performances because they know as well as anyone that they just happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.