What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDM

First Grade
I'm not all doom and gloom. I just think it's worth noting that a lot of the people on here who are blaming this year on a poor roster think our squad is better next year and think we've done well on recruitment. Call me a devil's advocate if you want... but I think realistic thinking is required sometimes.

:lol::lol:

CrazyEel

Bench
I'm not all doom and gloom. I just think it's worth noting that a lot of the people on here who are blaming this year on a poor roster think our squad is better next year and think we've done well on recruitment. Call me a devil's advocate if you want... but I think realistic thinking is required sometimes.
Mate I am being realistic, I'm too f**king old and seen too much to be anything else.

I accept you are of the opinion, as is Korny and others, that our recruitment has not been good enough. Can you guys accept that I just don't agree with you because I believe it has. Not a matter of who's right and who's wrong it's just different opinions. I can't be bothered repeating my thoughts on why I feel that way but from what I have seen and also been told by my fellow long term football club members who know what's happening that's just the way I see it.

For the sake of peace if we are not travelling well next year I won't be blaming the roster OK?

SDM

First Grade
Mate I am being realistic, I'm too f**king old and seen too much to be anything else.

I accept you are of the opinion, as is Korny and others, that our recruitment has not been good enough. Can you guys accept that I just don't agree with you because I believe it has. Not a matter of who's right and who's wrong it's just different opinions. I can't be bothered repeating my thoughts on why I feel that way but from what I have seen and also been told by my fellow long term football club members who know what's happening that's just the way I see it.

For the sake of peace if we are not travelling well next year I won't be blaming the roster OK?

I'm going to blame Fitzy, for old times sake.

Parraren

Bench
If you add Maitua & Poore to our 3 major recruits (Sandow, Roberts & Tonga) I think there is a definite jump in quality in our top 17 right there.

We definitely lack another quality outside back (or 2) - right centre is absolutely critical imo.

But we did chase Will Hopoate and missed out unfortunately.

Hypothetically, let's say we did sign Hoppa...would anyone be upset with this 17?

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Hopoate
4. Tonga
5. Loko
6. Roberts
7. Sandow
8. Mannah
9. Keating
10. Moi Moi
11. Hindmarsh (c)
12. Maitua
13. Smith

14. McGuire/Mortimer/Humble
15. Poore
16. Shackleton/Allgood/Webb
17. O'Hanlon/Horo/Lasalo/Paulo...

Call me crazy but that's a pretty decent side right there.

Eels Dude

Coach

I certainly respect your opinion. And I agree to disagree. But it seems every time someone states an opinion that they're disappointed in certain things they get shot down for thinking 'negatively'. It's really created a division amongst this forum and neither side are at fault. It's great you think we're moving forward and I hope we are too. There's nothing more I want to see us back as a force again.

84 Baby

Referee
I never said we have done well with our recruitment, I said I respect our recruitment for next year. Maybe if we had signed Thurston and Lockyer and Luke and Idris and Myles, everyone would be happy. Instead we've signed a player who some pretty good judges have earmarked as potentially Thurston's successor in Origin, who isn't stealing anyone else's at the club's position in the short or long term (i.e. a very dire need at the club), a few really deep depth signings, a speculator in Roberts and a young project in Tonga. I am content with these signings and the fact there is still room to add a Willie Tonga or a Vidot before the start of next season. I am not disappointed at the signings we have missed because they were either always staying/going to a different club or they just weren't worth their market value to us (Myles/Idris)

Ike E Bear

Juniors
If you add Maitua & Poore to our 3 major recruits (Sandow, Roberts & Tonga) I think there is a definite jump in quality in our top 17 right there.

We definitely lack another quality outside back (or 2) - right centre is absolutely critical imo.

But we did chase Will Hopoate and missed out unfortunately.

Hypothetically, let's say we did sign Hoppa...would anyone be upset with this 17?

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Hopoate
4. Tonga
5. Loko
6. Roberts
7. Sandow
8. Mannah
9. Keating
10. Moi Moi
11. Hindmarsh (c)
12. Maitua
13. Smith

14. McGuire/Mortimer/Humble
15. Poore
16. Shackleton/Allgood/Webb
17. O'Hanlon/Horo/Lasalo/Paulo...

Call me crazy but that's a pretty decent side right there.

Definite improvement.

Certainly, I think there will be more pressure on Kearney to deliver results with that roster.

Mind you, we're short a Hopoate for that roster ... so I think at least one good winger/centre is needed.

Eels Dude

Coach
I never said we have done well with our recruitment, I said I respect our recruitment for next year. Maybe if we had signed Thurston and Lockyer and Luke and Idris and Myles, everyone would be happy. Instead we've signed a player who some pretty good judges have earmarked as potentially Thurston's successor in Origin, who isn't stealing anyone else's at the club's position in the short or long term (i.e. a very dire need at the club), a few really deep depth signings, a speculator in Roberts and a young project in Tonga. I am content with these signings and the fact there is still room to add a Willie Tonga or a Vidot before the start of next season. I am not disappointed at the signings we have missed because they were either always staying/going to a different club or they just weren't worth their market value to us (Myles/Idris)

The signings for next year are not. Sort of middle of the road. Sandow is a great asset. Roberts is better than what we have currently. Tonga is pretty much a straight swap for Reddy. A few depth signings aren't really worth nothing. So hopefully you're spot on, and that we do add a few extra players to our roster to next year. There's also a number of unisgned players at our club currently who's futures are undecided.

CrazyEel

Bench
I certainly respect your opinion. And I agree to disagree. But it seems every time someone states an opinion that they're disappointed in certain things they get shot down for thinking 'negatively'. It's really created a division amongst this forum and neither side are at fault. It's great you think we're moving forward and I hope we are too. There's nothing more I want to see us back as a force again.
As you mentioned in another thread yesterday, it is the way the negative comment is framed and the number of times it is rehashed. I think everyone knows how the "negative" side feels so what's the point of harping on it in every conversation.

So what if some blame the roster? What do you care and why do you feel the need to change their opinion and bring them down? I am not having a go at you but there is a very true saying that "misery enjoys company" and it seems there are some whose only objective is to make everyone else feel just as miserable as they do by ruining every damn positive conversation with their cheap shots. Are you really surprised how people react to it and why the forum is divided?

We are ALL disappointed in some things, even the most optimisitc of us, it's just some of us can't see the point of constant whining and wallowing in it.

Anyway, I mean no offence and that's the end of it from me.

Eels Dude

Coach
As you mentioned in another thread yesterday, it is the way the negative comment is framed and the number of times it is rehashed. I think everyone knows how the "negative" side feels so what's the point of harping on it in every conversation.

So what if some blame the roster? What do you care and why do you feel the need to change their opinion and bring them down? I am not having a go at you but there is a very true saying that "misery enjoys company" and it seems there are some whose only objective is to make everyone else feel just as miserable as they do by ruining every damn positive conversation with their cheap shots. Are you really surprised how people react to it and why the forum is divided?

We are ALL disappointed in some things, even the most optimisitc of us, it's just some of us can't see the point of constant whining and wallowing in it.

Anyway, I mean no offence and that's the end of it from me.

Firstly I think reaction works both ways. Most of the posts I make are responsive to others. I don't want to go into coaching sagas, but there are certain people who continue to bring up DA and blame him for our scenario this year. I will respond to those because I think it's unfair.

You can whinge about people not thinking as positive as others, but it's just whingeing about someone disagreeing with you. And makes you a whinger yourself (not referring to you at all I might add, just the general theory).

I'm not surprised the forum is divided. It's natural if you've got two sides who feel differently and bag each other endlessly. And I accept some of the blame for that. So should others.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So if we are going poorly next year are we going to just go and say "yeah but it's ok we have a terrible roster" like a lot of people are doing this year?

I think we will have a good roster next year.

The addition of two first grade quality halves and a centre, as well as all of this year's debutants being a year older means we'll be a lot stronger.

Plus next year we'll have Reni for an entire season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts