What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartman

Immortal
It all comes down to whether an early release would allow us to use Loko's contract money to extract a better return than someone with bung knees sitting on the sidelines season after season.

It could be a good way to pay for future upgrades to retain our talented juniors that are actually taking the field, or to go into the player market and sign someone to bolster a different position.

But even though he gets a mention in that article, let's not just sign Inu because he's being shopped to us. Let him pursue the rugby union option instead.

Avenger

Immortal
Matterson has a sublime passing game and his short kicking game is pin point. He has great size for a half. I've said it many times he reminds me of a young Scott Hill.

Avenger

Immortal
Loko is contracted until the end of 2016. I dare say he has signed for about $300k. That's good value if he comes back in 2015. The Dogs would obviously be offering more to entice him to ask for a release. Personally I think the kid owes us and should stay loyal assuming we still want him.

Hayne, Hoppa, Tepai, Gower and Goodall are the next players we should re-sign. To accommodate them I would not re-sign Terepo, Jo Paulo and Sio. Moimoi and Ben Smith are almost certain to retire. I'd also be looking to release Allgood and even Lussick to accommodate the priority re-signings if we need to get under the cap.

caylo

Bench
thats a pretty big call, avenger. I hope he is as good as you say minis the baggage Tim had.

Manly let hodkinson go for DCE, Souths let Sandow go for Reynolds - it does work sometimes.
By 15/16 matterson will be 21/22 . Sandow has fire but you can't build a club around him, you need a team to do the basics and compete in the grind before an X-factor player can do his damage and we have hayne to do that. A good example is the Tiger after they lost Scott prince, benji was not enough to take the tigers to the finals after prince left and benji at his best was twice the player sandow will ever be.

Chipmunk

Coach
Matterson has a sublime passing game and his short kicking game is pin point. He has great size for a half. I've said it many times he reminds me of a young Scott Hill.

He sounds like he is a similar size to Curtis Sironen, who appears more that he is going to play in the back row. Is this where Matterson is going to end up or is he a genuine half?

spiderdan

Bench
That says more about the quality of half backs we have had over the past 3 decades than the talent of Tim Smith.
you are kidding, right?

like him or not, Tim smith's numbers, especially in 05, show he had the ability to be a top line half. unfortunately he had his own problems that outweighed his ability on the field long term. John Simon was hardly a hack either. unfortunately he wasn't what Brian smith wanted at the club after his strong first year with the eels. he wasn't the first or last good player we lost because of Brian.

and yes, you had a solid year at parra too.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Absolutely. If Tim Smith had continued his development as a player rather than succumbing to his affliction and going backwards he would have played for Australia, given what he was capable of in his rookie season. He had massive ability.

oldmancraigy

Coach
i think no rookie halfback has ever won a comp.

Smith must have been as close as anyone else to achieving the feat?
How many minor premierships have we won in the last 30 years? Smith was a massive part of one.

It isnt unfair to suggest substance abuse killed a career.

Status
Not open for further replies.