What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

hindy111

Post Whore
Agree Manly's stars like Matai-Foran-DCE-Stuart brothers-Ballin-Watmough where part of Manly's system. Our output has been poor considering we are meant to have most juniors.
In the last 10 yrs Hayne is a proven star we produced .Maloney and Hodgkinson toupo tafua are decent that slipped thru cracks and would be good if still here..T-rex a decent player but way over priced.

The rest have been average.Not international or origin standard IMO. We have produced guys like - Inu-Mannah-Mateo- wolfman-gardner-albert Kelly.Buhrer-allgood-sio.
Sure there are some decent players in that list.But nothing to be that worried about losing.

Leaving out current crop to come thru really since Hindmarsh we haven't produced an great forward. in 15 yrs you could say.Since Pj Marsh we haven't produced a decent hooker.Again around 15 yrs.And since Lyons a decent centre.15 yrs ago
Hayne came thru almost 8 yrs ago and I guess you don't produce guys like hayne or Hindy often but really our jnr system since Brian smith left has been nothing short of a disgrace.We have churned out a few average first graders-A few decent wingers and that's about it.

Delboy

First Grade
Taufua and Williams never played in the Manly juniors, Buhrer played NYC, Hodkinson played reggies after a falling Ut with Eels coaching staff at the time.

So Pou, they never played juniors over there

born an eel

Bench
when analyzing who we let go, consideration also needs to be taken into account who was in front of them at the time.

With the long term signing of a few of the juniors we will probably loose a couple directly behind them. I can't imagine any fullback sticky around waiting for Hayne to retire when opportunities pop up elsewhere.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
who's talking about proven first graders?

do you even know what a barrier trial is?

I don't gamble mate. And horse racing isn't a sport.

Tony Williams had already trialled and was nominated for his "first" race when Manly bought him. Hell he was practically saddled and walking around the enclosure when manly changed his "silks". They payed him for his group 1 potential when he hadn't even won a maiden yet.

He hadn't played first grade when Manly signed him, but he was already dominating in the NYC. That's why they had to pay him so much (double what we offered, by reports).

The others that they brought into their NYC team (Taufua, Buhrer, Waerea-Hargreaves, Lussick, Hopoate) were all re-signed before they were in demand, meaning they not only didn't pay overs, but they probably spent the final year or two on significant unders.

And that's how you beat the salary cap. T-Rex shouldn't have been off contract in 2008. Of course, if he or his manager were smarter than most it's possible that they refused to re-sign earlier, instead wanting to test the market. Even still, if Manly knew he was worth twice what we were offering without even having access to his performance data, then what was our 'academy' doing?

It's f**ken bullshit!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Taufua and Williams never played in the Manly juniors, Buhrer played NYC, Hodkinson played reggies after a falling Ut with Eels coaching staff at the time.

So Pou, they never played juniors over there

Taufua and Buhrer played NYC for Manly; Taufua in 2011 and Buhrer in '08-'09. Hodkinson and Williams were recruited straight out of our junior teams and made their NRL debuts at Manly after time in the lower grades.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
when analyzing who we let go, consideration also needs to be taken into account who was in front of them at the time.

With the long term signing of a few of the juniors we will probably loose a couple directly behind them. I can't imagine any fullback sticky around waiting for Hayne to retire when opportunities pop up elsewhere.

Absolutely. They key is that we always have options.

Whether a big name star, a solid first grader or a cheap backup, it's always cheaper to retain these guys than to poach them from outside the club. This per-player discount aggregated across most of a squad adds up to a lot more talent than you'd have to pay for if you signed them all from outside the club.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He hadn't played first grade when Manly signed him, but he was already dominating in the NYC. That's why they had to pay him so much (double what we offered, by reports).

Wrong merkin. He played the last 11 of 12 round in 2008 in FG for the Eels.

So they signed a FGer.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/tony-williams/summary.html

Pretty sure they signed him before he played any NRL with us, then he played NRL after he was signed.

One of those mid season signings me thinks.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Wrong merkin. He played the last 11 of 12 round in 2008 in FG for the Eels.

So they signed a FGer.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/tony-williams/summary.html

28 May 2008: Manly sign boom Eels talent Tony Williams

07 June 2008: Tony Williams makes his NRL debut

Attention to detail, Gronk.

#You'reWelcome

keitel

Juniors
Just flew in and heard that Kevin Kingston has announced his retirement. Is this true?????????????

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pretty sure they signed him before he played any NRL with us, then he played NRL after he was signed.

One of those mid season signings me thinks.

You mean like pretty much every signing?

What player wants to wait until the end of the season to decide what he's doing next year? What club doesn't want next year's rosters decided ASAP?

The shittest players are signed and re-signed last.

hindy111

Post Whore
No Pou is right on T-Rex. He did play most the year but had only played 3 games when Manly signed him.

hindy111

Post Whore
Oh I did a look thru our Jnr System-Check out my thread-Its very interesting looking at the quality of players we have churned out

hindy111

Post Whore
OK you got me. But it was hardly a stroke of genius. Considering that he was flagged as elite in 2007.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...o-set-nrl-alight/story-e6frfgbo-1111115195392

Manly signed T-REX where he spent 4 yrs.I remember the fuss that they paid 300k for two years for a guy who played 3-4 games.

Was he good value? He spent one of those years in reserve grade.One on the wing and was average.So cost them 300k for that one season.

They than re-signed him for 2 yrs and he moved to second row.He had two very good seasons.

The dogs signed him.His first year was tragic.Second he has been good.Worth the reported 650k? Not IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts