What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

age.s

First Grade
Nah. He's a moron for saying it publicly, but the vast majority of people who follow league have very little understanding of it as a sport and those that do have next to no understanding of the context in which a coaches job exists.

Fangs

Coach
Nah. He's a moron for saying it publicly, but the vast majority of people who follow league have very little understanding of it as a sport and those that do have next to no understanding of the context in which a coaches job exists.

If you listen to the fans you'll soon be joining them in the stands.

He's made it harder for himself this week. Lucky it's in NQ a long way from home.

Exsilium

Coach
Sua would be a great pick up. He's out of form but he's very capable.

Jack Bird, has a lot to offer but his recent comments have me thinking he struggles to rub two brain cells together. When he does, it really says a lot about the bloke. However, we are a footy club. A very well run one at that. If he has talent, more than what we have in our ranks, than any player that fits, will be good for me.

Exsilium

Coach

Like the refs, I am still trying to understand the rules. I'll get there. Give me time.

Bob

Juniors

NRL Market Watch, transfer news: Jarome Luai opens up on future, Panthers salary cap squeeze​

Penrith are facing another salary cap squeeze, with Jarome Luai and Dylan Edwards set to command $1 million dollar deals on the open market. Now Luai has opened up on his NRL future.

Jarome Luai in action for the Panthers against the Warriors at Magic Round. Credit: NRL Images.

Jarome Luai in action for the Panthers against the Warriors at Magic Round. Credit: NRL Images.
Jarome Luai is poised to be one of the hottest prospects on the player market in November but the Penrith star isn’t planning on having contract negotiations drag out.

The Panthers are facing another salary cap squeeze with key spine men Luai and in-form fullback Dylan Edwards coming off contract at the same time.
Both players are expected to command around $1 million a year for season 2025 and beyond.
Luai gave a cryptic clue on his playing future on Wednesday, suggesting a new deal could be struck sooner rather than later.
“Hopefully I'll let you know in a couple of months,” Luai said when asked about his future.
Losing star players on big-money deals to rivals has become all too familiar for the Panthers.
Star centre Stephen Crichton is off to Canterbury and Spencer Leniu is set to join the Sydney Roosters next season, having already lost hooker Api Koroisau and backrower Viliame Kikau.
Penrith are in a fight to re-sign Jarome Luai and Dylan Edwards. Credit: NRL Images.

Penrith are in a fight to re-sign Jarome Luai and Dylan Edwards. Credit: NRL Images.
But Luai believes the club can afford to keep both he and Edwards, who has become a cornerstone Penrith’s title campaign, at the foot of the mountains.
“I still have two more years to go, and it‘s early in the year. I’ve got to play well and hopefully they resign me. I reckon they can (fit us both under the cap),” Luai said.
“(Edwards) is one of our best players, consistently. He’s always up there, just look at his numbers and what he puts up. His vocalness and leadership is important to our team.”
Currently on a deal believed to be worth around $500,000 a season, Edwards is expected to earn a considerable upgrade.
While the 27-year old wants to remain at Penrith long term, Edwards concedes the salary cap squeeze could ultimately decide his future.
"I love this place. I know I'm valued here. I'm entrenched in the community. I wouldn't like to (be anywhere else),” Edwards said.
“But rugby league is a funny game. You never really know. Ideally, if I had my way, I'd stay here for a while.”
Luai and Edwards’ value has shot up in value in recent years, on the back of back-to-back premierships. Picture: NRL Images.

Luai and Edwards’ value has shot up in value in recent years, on the back of back-to-back premierships. Picture: NRL Images.
The Panthers go into Friday night’s game against the Roosters having lost the favourite tag for the first time since winning the 2021 grand final.
South Sydney’s five-game winning streak having installed the Redfern club as the new title favourites with bookies.
But Luai has warned punters might lose their money betting against the back-to-back premiers.
“I think we would rather it this way. We love being the underdogs,” Luai said.
“Good on the Rabbitohs man, they deserve the (favouritism), they have been playing really well.
“We‘ll see how the season pans out and if people will lose their money.”
Friday night’s clash will shape as another Origin audition for Luai with the incumbent no. 6 facing pressure from reigning Dally M medallist Nicho Hynes to keep his place alongside teammate Nathan Cleary in the halves.
“Yeah, I‘m going to back myself every year and every day of the week,” Luai said.
“Obviously, I’m in control of whether I’m selected or not and that is based on my performances. What I’m most focused on is how I prepare for each game and if I play well, I’ll select myself.
“Any jersey with your name on your back hits different. It means a lot to me and my family.”
There is a growing push for the selection of Edwards in game one of the series. Blues captain James Tedesco is a lock at fullback but Daniel Tupou’s wing is up for grabs.
While his own spot in the team has come under scrutiny, Luai has called on NSW selectors to pick Edwards. Picture: NRL Imagery.

While his own spot in the team has come under scrutiny, Luai has called on NSW selectors to pick Edwards. Picture: NRL Imagery.
Bulldogs flyer Josh Addo-Carr, who return from injury this weekend is in contention but Luai believes Edwards deserves a call-up.
“If Dyl‘s called upon for that (wing) role, whatever is required of him, he’s going to do it at 100 per cent,” Luai said.
“We‘ve seen, the Panthers boys, what he can do every game but I think you guys (the media) seeing it now makes us really happy.
“He‘d kill it.”
“You look at the Origin arena, the blood, sweat and tears, you sort of get that feel that players do stuff they don‘t normally do.”
Edwards is yet to hear from Blues coach Brad Fittler but the Blues are light on outside back options with Tom Trbojevic and Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii struggling for form at club level.
"If that was an option or that was what they needed me to do, I'd definitely put my hand up to do it,“ Edwards said.
"There's some good outside backs there that play on the wing on a regular basis but if that was what needed to happen, I'd gladly put my hand up for it."

Girds89

Bench
Apparently JWH is being signed by the Roosters. Thought him retiring was how they afforded Leniu? 🤔
Suprise suprise.. seriously.. laughable how they manage to keep blokes and still make top signings.. yeah they lost suali but they bring in dom young who certainly isn't going to be cheap.. probably comparable to what suali was on.... yes suali is worth more now but his last contract was probably similar to this current one for dom young...

Surely they'd have to release tyrell May.

I mean they keep jwh and they are stacked next year even losing lodge..

Props
Collins
Jwh
Lenui
May

I'm sure they'll be linked to our next junior too.. they always have cash..

WestyLife

First Grade
Suprise suprise.. seriously.. laughable how they manage to keep blokes and still make top signings.. yeah they lost suali but they bring in dom young who certainly isn't going to be cheap.. probably comparable to what suali was on.... yes suali is worth more now but his last contract was probably similar to this current one for dom young...

Surely they'd have to release tyrell May.

I mean they keep jwh and they are stacked next year even losing lodge..

Props
Collins
Jwh
Lenui
May

I'm sure they'll be linked to our next junior too.. they always have cash..

Yep this is the one that needs questions. Rep star backing and now a stacked pack.

Flashstep

Juniors
Losing Leniu sucks but understandable. The joke is that the Roosters of all teams get to sign him.

Personally I think it’s fairer if a team like The Dolphins signed him, isn’t the point of salary cap pressure allowing lesser clubs to catch up? Pfft yea right.

betcats

Referee
The roosters have a young guy Naufahu Whyte id love to get my hands on. Can play middle or edge, great size and athleticism. With Leniu coming and JWH staying he isnt likely to crack their top side. Whyte, May or Wong would be good pickups imo, they arent all going to fit into that side. Wong has massive wraps on him and is the youngest so extremely unlikely, the other two though are in or around the fg side right now, if they want to play regular minutes they might have to look elsewhere.

GowersDallyM

Juniors

NRL Market Watch, transfer news: Jarome Luai opens up on future, Panthers salary cap squeeze​

Penrith are facing another salary cap squeeze, with Jarome Luai and Dylan Edwards set to command $1 million dollar deals on the open market. Now Luai has opened up on his NRL future.

Jarome Luai is poised to be one of the hottest prospects on the player market in November but the Penrith star isn’t planning on having contract negotiations drag out.

The Panthers are facing another salary cap squeeze with key spine men Luai and in-form fullback Dylan Edwards coming off contract at the same time.
Both players are expected to command around $1 million a year for season 2025 and beyond.
Luai gave a cryptic clue on his playing future on Wednesday, suggesting a new deal could be struck sooner rather than later.
“Hopefully I'll let you know in a couple of months,” Luai said when asked about his future.
Losing star players on big-money deals to rivals has become all too familiar for the Panthers.
Star centre Stephen Crichton is off to Canterbury and Spencer Leniu is set to join the Sydney Roosters next season, having already lost hooker Api Koroisau and backrower Viliame Kikau.

But Luai believes the club can afford to keep both he and Edwards, who has become a cornerstone Penrith’s title campaign, at the foot of the mountains.
“I still have two more years to go, and it‘s early in the year. I’ve got to play well and hopefully they resign me. I reckon they can (fit us both under the cap),” Luai said.
“(Edwards) is one of our best players, consistently. He’s always up there, just look at his numbers and what he puts up. His vocalness and leadership is important to our team.”
Currently on a deal believed to be worth around $500,000 a season, Edwards is expected to earn a considerable upgrade.
While the 27-year old wants to remain at Penrith long term, Edwards concedes the salary cap squeeze could ultimately decide his future.
"I love this place. I know I'm valued here. I'm entrenched in the community. I wouldn't like to (be anywhere else),” Edwards said.
“But rugby league is a funny game. You never really know. Ideally, if I had my way, I'd stay here for a while.”

The Panthers go into Friday night’s game against the Roosters having lost the favourite tag for the first time since winning the 2021 grand final.
South Sydney’s five-game winning streak having installed the Redfern club as the new title favourites with bookies.
But Luai has warned punters might lose their money betting against the back-to-back premiers.
“I think we would rather it this way. We love being the underdogs,” Luai said.
“Good on the Rabbitohs man, they deserve the (favouritism), they have been playing really well.
“We‘ll see how the season pans out and if people will lose their money.”
Friday night’s clash will shape as another Origin audition for Luai with the incumbent no. 6 facing pressure from reigning Dally M medallist Nicho Hynes to keep his place alongside teammate Nathan Cleary in the halves.
“Yeah, I‘m going to back myself every year and every day of the week,” Luai said.
“Obviously, I’m in control of whether I’m selected or not and that is based on my performances. What I’m most focused on is how I prepare for each game and if I play well, I’ll select myself.
“Any jersey with your name on your back hits different. It means a lot to me and my family.”
There is a growing push for the selection of Edwards in game one of the series. Blues captain James Tedesco is a lock at fullback but Daniel Tupou’s wing is up for grabs.

Bulldogs flyer Josh Addo-Carr, who return from injury this weekend is in contention but Luai believes Edwards deserves a call-up.
“If Dyl‘s called upon for that (wing) role, whatever is required of him, he’s going to do it at 100 per cent,” Luai said.
“We‘ve seen, the Panthers boys, what he can do every game but I think you guys (the media) seeing it now makes us really happy.
“He‘d kill it.”
“You look at the Origin arena, the blood, sweat and tears, you sort of get that feel that players do stuff they don‘t normally do.”
Edwards is yet to hear from Blues coach Brad Fittler but the Blues are light on outside back options with Tom Trbojevic and Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii struggling for form at club level.
"If that was an option or that was what they needed me to do, I'd definitely put my hand up to do it,“ Edwards said.
"There's some good outside backs there that play on the wing on a regular basis but if that was what needed to happen, I'd gladly put my hand up for it."
There is no way in the world we can have have 4 players on or around 1mill a year (Yeo, and Cleary already)...plus fish is on stacks. I really hope they don't pick Luai over Edwards...Edwards had proved his importance over the past three years whilst Luai is abit of a passenger especially this year! Only issue is its easier to get a fullback than it is a 5/8 but clubs will want in on Luai especially desperate Dolphins Tigers Dragons or Dogs

MugaB

Coach
There is no way in the world we can have have 4 players on or around 1mill a year (Yeo, and Cleary already)...plus fish is on stacks. I really hope they don't pick Luai over Edwards...Edwards had proved his importance over the past three years whilst Luai is abit of a passenger especially this year! Only issue is its easier to get a fullback than it is a 5/8 but clubs will want in on Luai especially desperate Dolphins Tigers Dragons or Dogs
Dolphins have three 5/8ths, Nikorima, Katoa, Milford, they are flush with halves, dogs are flush too

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Dolphins have three 5/8ths, Nikorima, Katoa, Milford, they are flush with halves, dogs are flush too
Milford won't be there and Nikorima probably won't be either or at least won't be nea rather starting side. Luai would go good at Dolphins as he would add abit of flair in their very straight forward game plans.