What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

snickers007

Juniors
Have you ever driven over the speed limit, and got caught.? Technically your an actual criminal too.

I know the offence occurred in the USA which obviously has a different legal system, but this probably isn't the right comparison to make, as the Australian legal system absolutely differentiates. It's called summary vs indictable offences.

Lodge's crimes very-much fit in the indictable side, while Westy's lead foot barely registers on the summary side.

As far as the argument of paying the price forever, for me at least, I take issue to a couple of things.

1) The Panthers are very much a community focussed club. We do lots of work with school aged kids, sick kids and those in lower socio-economic areas. Our players are role models, and should be held to a higher moral standard than the regular Australian.

If we were to sign Lodge, do you think the club would be sending him as an ambassador for these kind of events? I don't think it passes the pub test to be honest.

2) I think being involved in sports or any group-based activities is a great way to rehabilitate and/or reintegrate into society. All the usual reasons, it involves team work, communication, sacrifice, structure etc.

But, he doesn't need to be playing elite sport to get the same result.

By all means stay involved in sport, but go out to the country, work in a small community, and play park football. I guarantee he would learn a lot more, and become a better human as a result.

And if the argument becomes "but professional rugby league is all he's ever known" - well that's on him. He came through the system playing NYC, which required study or work to be eligible to play. If he didn't learn anything during those years he's just delaying the inevitable post-NRL career.

3) Society shouldn't be financially rewarding people who commit these types of crimes.

If you earn over $250,000 a year, you're in the Top 1% in the country according to the ATO. Lodge would be on double that.

To me, this reinforces the idea that you can do whatever you want, as long as you're good at sportsball. And unfortunately, in a results driven industry, there will always be a team willing to do anything, or sign anyone to increase their chance at victory.

Full-disclaimer, I hold similar views on Zane Tetevano, and hated that he played with us. Not a huge fan of the May boys either.

Full-disclaimer #2, I'm FAR from perfect, and have had some VERY loose nights on the drink, but I've never been close to chasing anyone home and assaulting them. Nor have I ever raised my hand to a woman. The bar for me to consider someone an alright fella is pretty f**king low. But Lodge is absolutely trash.

Iamback

Coach
At some point, the side will need a change in style.

Its a great concept to keep a winning formula together but the gap between us and them, gets smaller every year. The last two years, it was Penrith and then daylight. Now, side's have figured out how to get on top of us and we dont have the players to take advantage of the sides putting the effort into shutting us down. You need some variability and we simply dont have it.

We do but are hamstrung in a way,

We have to play a style that suits Yeo and Cleary's attack. Adding a couple of players that can offload and play eyes up footy is all it needs

WestyLife

First Grade
So you've just called me a liar, and mentally unstable.

and that's not pulling apart someone's character ?

I'm not even a player, I just posed a differing viewpoint.

Yes criticising form and criticising a player as a person are two different things which no one here has confused. That's a lie on your part to make people here look bad.

The word insane wasn't describing you but adding emphasis to the sentence to demonstrate just how bad an example you were using comparing speeding to violent crimes and threatening/attempting to kill people.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Yes criticising form and criticising a player as a person are two different things which no one here has confused. That's a lie on your part to make people here look bad.

The word insane wasn't describing you but adding emphasis to the sentence to demonstrate just how bad an example you were using comparing speeding to violent crimes and threatening/attempting to kill people.

We're obviously not going to agree. So I will leave it al that.

There is a huge difference between criticising a players form, and pulling apart their character.

Some on this platform struggle to know the difference.

I agree his probably too expensive for Penrith on reflection.

Have you ever driven over the speed limit, and got caught.? Technically your an actual criminal too.
What Lodge has done is unforgivable, @Aliceinwonderland. He had prior form too.

I know the offence occurred in the USA which obviously has a different legal system, but this probably isn't the right comparison to make, as the Australian legal system absolutely differentiates. It's called summary vs indictable offences.

Lodge's crimes very-much fit in the indictable side, while Westy's lead foot barely registers on the summary side.

As far as the argument of paying the price forever, for me at least, I take issue to a couple of things.

1) The Panthers are very much a community focussed club. We do lots of work with school aged kids, sick kids and those in lower socio-economic areas. Our players are role models, and should be held to a higher moral standard than the regular Australian.

If we were to sign Lodge, do you think the club would be sending him as an ambassador for these kind of events? I don't think it passes the pub test to be honest.

2) I think being involved in sports or any group-based activities is a great way to rehabilitate and/or reintegrate into society. All the usual reasons, it involves team work, communication, sacrifice, structure etc.

But, he doesn't need to be playing elite sport to get the same result.

By all means stay involved in sport, but go out to the country, work in a small community, and play park football. I guarantee he would learn a lot more, and become a better human as a result.

And if the argument becomes "but professional rugby league is all he's ever known" - well that's on him. He came through the system playing NYC, which required study or work to be eligible to play. If he didn't learn anything during those years he's just delaying the inevitable post-NRL career.

3) Society shouldn't be financially rewarding people who commit these types of crimes.

If you earn over $250,000 a year, you're in the Top 1% in the country according to the ATO. Lodge would be on double that.

To me, this reinforces the idea that you can do whatever you want, as long as you're good at sportsball. And unfortunately, in a results driven industry, there will always be a team willing to do anything, or sign anyone to increase their chance at victory.

Full-disclaimer, I hold similar views on Zane Tetevano, and hated that he played with us. Not a huge fan of the May boys either.

Full-disclaimer #2, I'm FAR from perfect, and have had some VERY loose nights on the drink, but I've never been close to chasing anyone home and assaulting them. Nor have I ever raised my hand to a woman. The bar for me to consider someone an alright fella is pretty f**king low. But Lodge is absolutely trash.
He had a DV case in Australia.

I would think that our front row looks pretty stocked for a while. Obviously losing a gun in Spencer is really disappointing, but Moses and Fish are locked up, and Smith looks good. Others have big wraps on Henry and I love Blecker’s size.

Girds89

Bench
The USA is a part of a long list of problems he has had at every club he has been at .notice the roosters are not pushing hard to keep him.One of the big things that has seperate us from others is the environment and culture at the club

My best mates wife is extremely close friends with lodges sister. In the bridal party at her wedding etc.

By all reports all be it 2nd hand from him but apparently done everything in his power to turn his life around.

Has basically been off the grog full time since the incident overseas and made a really big effort to be a better person.

Yes what he did obviously was very serious.. but his own victims have said themselves that everyone deserves a shot at redemption.

Anyway I wouldn't sign him. Not because I don't think he is a good player. I'd rather sign Terrell may..

He's younger, cheaper, and whilst his opportunities have been limited I think for close to minimum he'd have a lot of upside. He's been very good for a long time in nsw cup.. just needs to get a solid run in fg.

My best mates wife is extremely close friends with lodges sister. In the bridal party at her wedding etc.

By all reports all be it 2nd hand from him but apparently done everything in his power to turn his life around.

Has basically been off the grog full time since the incident overseas and made a really big effort to be a better person.

Yes what he did obviously was very serious.. but his own victims have said themselves that everyone deserves a shot at redemption.

Anyway I wouldn't sign him. Not because I don't think he is a good player. I'd rather sign Terrell may..

He's younger, cheaper, and whilst his opportunities have been limited I think for close to minimum he'd have a lot of upside. He's been very good for a long time in nsw cup.. just needs to get a solid run in fg.
Lodge should have been incarcerated

Iamback

Coach

Not denying it is true but this is the problem with the NRL not having a zero tolerance policy.

He will always be the scumbag that threatened murder to most RL fans and hence taints the RL as a whole

Latest posts