What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Bob

Juniors
I don't think Kennys as bad as some make out, we're just used to having the best in the game as our 9. People need to stop comparing him to the King, he left 4 season ago.
Mate the only hooker we’ve had that’s worse than Kenny was that tubby little fellow Sione Katoa 😁

Original Name

Juniors
Why is the only tactic to kick to the corners? Why not grabber into the line? I am sure Kenny has a grabber in him, shouldn't be too hard as a NRL hooker.
Someone gets taken out by a defender running backwards or goes for the ball gets beaten by the bounce/to the ball and Walsh picks it up runs through the gap and goes length of the field or gets a legs tackle and a super quick play the ball that starts their set off well and loses us field position are all things that could happen. The higher percentage play is a bomb because our defenders have the time to run between the Brisbane players/take Walsh as he's catching it so he or another can't do anything but take a slow ptb. As long as the kick chasers are all on same page to tackle and not go for the ball and risk leaving the gap it virtually can't happen.

Is the risk vs reward type of thing. Which isn't what I would do but hey different people different philosophies. Nath did win a Clive off the back of kicking exactly like this.

Last edited:

Munky

Coach
Someone gets taken out by a defender running backwards or goes for the ball gets beaten by the bounce/to the ball and Walsh picks it up runs through the gap and goes length of the field or gets a legs tackle and a super quick play the ball that starts their set off well and loses us field position are all things that could happen. The higher percentage play is a bomb because our defenders have the time to run between the Brisbane players/take Walsh as he's catching it so he or another can't do anything. As long as the kick chasers are all on same page to tackle and not go for the ball and risk leaving the gap it virtually can't happen.

Is the risk vs reward type of thing. Which isn't what I would do but if it's hard to argue with results.

The bomb was super effective in prior uears as Martin or Kiks would always rush to be the first defender.

I always wondered why since they would miss the tackle and cause the line to lose shape. I only realised this season it was to make the returner lose momentum in stepping around them. It stopped the likes of Sivo etc picking out the smallest defender and getting a dominant ruck. The second wave would then gang tackle the returner with low momentum and the set was won.

Rinse and repeat until they break.

Original Name

Juniors
The bomb was super effective in prior uears as Martin or Kiks would always rush to be the first defender.

I always wondered why since they would miss the tackle and cause the line to lose shape. I only realised this season it was to make the returner lose momentum in stepping around them. It stopped the likes of Sivo etc picking out the smallest defender and getting a dominant ruck. The second wave would then gang tackle the returner with low momentum and the set was won.

Rinse and repeat until they break.

On the topic of conservative but sustainable Penrith football I think backs have been told don't push passes under pressure unless they're sure because of the risk pf knock ons/players being taken out over the side line/throwing the ball into touch. Peach, Crichton and Tago do it too much for it to be an individual thing. Salmon would also hold the ball rather than push passes whenever he's played centre/five eight in the past.

I'm convinced it's by design.

Last edited:
I thought Kenny had a good game last night. He doesn’t react well from hooker, but when he goes to the ruck with a clear view of what he is going to do he can be clean; the pass for Cleary’s try was exquisite; long pass that got him in-step and on the outside of the near defenders shoulder.

He doesn’t play eyes up and when he tries to it breaks down. But, apart from the end of last season, this is his first full season of being a starter and it would have been his first pre-season in the role (which as we have discussed before was disrupted), so the suggestion he won’t improve is pretty unfair; I thought he showed some improvement last night.

So, at the moment he is in the bottom half of hookers in the league (starters), but you can’t say Parra, Good Coast, Brisbane and Canberra wouldn’t take what we have (and that is before looking at value for money). Even some of the sides with the name hookers; Kenny has been better than Smith, while at Newcastle, Brailey is a gun when playing, but the kid can’t get on the field.

But he has a lot of improvement in him; he will be challenging the Brayleys and Robson for NSW SOO hooker in a few years time.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
I thought Kenny had a good game last night. He doesn’t react well from hooker, but when he goes to the ruck with a clear view of what he is going to do he can be clean; the pass for Cleary’s try was exquisite; long pass that got him in-step and on the outside of the near defenders shoulder.

He doesn’t play eyes up and when he tries to it breaks down. But, apart from the end of last season, this is his first full season of being a starter and it would have been his first pre-season in the role (which as we have discussed before was disrupted), so the suggestion he won’t improve is pretty unfair; I thought he showed some improvement last night.

So, at the moment he is in the bottom half of hookers in the league (starters), but you can’t say Parra, Good Coast, Brisbane and Canberra wouldn’t take what we have (and that is before looking at value for money). Even some of the sides with the name hookers; Kenny has been better than Smith, while at Newcastle, Brailey is a gun when playing, but the kid can’t get on the field.

But he has a lot of improvement in him; he will be challenging the Brayleys and Robson for NSW SOO hooker in a few years time.
I honestly don't think Kenny would be a starting hooker in any other team in the comp...he would barely make a bench spot also. He is a plod hooker that simply doesn't run from hooker or at least step out and confuse the markers.

I'd take any other starting hooker in the game over Kenny.

kinghippo

Juniors
And Luke has been worse... let that sink in
Luke is now trying to do too much in the small amount of time he is getting on the field.

I remember Spencer was the same, he was making a lot of errors and bad decisions trying to make an impact.

Getting 15 to 20 minutes can be a real detriment to progression.

We would be better off giving him 80 in the reserves for a while or resting Kenny and giving him a full first grade game.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Luke is now trying to do too much in the small amount of time he is getting on the field.

I remember Spencer was the same, he was making a lot of errors and bad decisions trying to make an impact.

Getting 15 to 20 minutes can be a real detriment to progression.

We would be better off giving him 80 in the reserves for a while or resting Kenny and giving him a full first grade game.
He's 27 I'm not sure he can learn anything in cup. Give him 80 in first grade, sink or swim time

kinghippo

Juniors
Geeez Jayden Sua would be a very handy pick up...he has been dragons 2nd best behind Hunt most of the year. Massive game tonight by him.
He has a lot of punch, really pushes the line and hits pretty hard in defence. His discipline has always held him back but that’s the type of thing a stable club like ours could fix

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I honestly don't think Kenny would be a starting hooker in any other team in the comp...he would barely make a bench spot also. He is a plod hooker that simply doesn't run from hooker or at least step out and confuse the markers.

I'd take any other starting hooker in the game over Kenny.
How ridiculous

MugaB

Coach
He has a lot of punch, really pushes the line and hits pretty hard in defence. His discipline has always held him back but that’s the type of thing a stable club like ours could fix
Ive always liked jayden s'ua, even when he was at souths... but if he leaves the dragons, ol wayne will pick him up