What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

They're not crimes.

The salary cap is tenuous in terms of legality since it's a restraint of trade and the NRL has no access to players tax returns.

Along as they declare any money over the cap to the ATO no crime has been committed.
Good point and I agree doesn’t necessarily have to be criminal but the implication is that these are off books payments (ie paper bags). The old ‘Uncle Nick misses a 2 foot-put’ story.

I work in financial services in the UK and there would also be some money laundering consequences as well here (and given international conventions I would assume in Australia as well).

Munky

Coach
Good point and I agree doesn’t necessarily have to be criminal but the implication is that these are off books payments (ie paper bags). The old ‘Uncle Nick misses a 2 foot-put’ story.

I work in financial services in the UK and there would also be some money laundering consequences as well here (and given international conventions I would assume in Australia as well).

Nope, I've spent the last four months doing a contract for employment taxes in a pretty large organisation.

As long as somebody pays the tax on the extra remuneration then the federal and state governments don't care.

When Melbourne provided GI with the infamous boat there'd be no issue if they paid the FBT on it.

Nope, I've spent the last four months doing a contract for employment taxes in a pretty large organisation.

As long as somebody pays the tax on the extra remuneration then the federal and state governments don't care.

When Melbourne provided GI with the infamous boat there'd be no issue if they paid the FBT on it.
Okay. I always imagined that salary cap rorting was off-book payments to players.

If it is just payments from the employing entity to the player that is unreported to the NRL then agree it isn’t illegal. But surely it would take the salary cap auditor about half an hour to identify rorting if there was an actual investigation done.

Pomoz

Bench

Spot on. Salary cap breaches are not a criminal matter, unless money was stolen in the process, in which case it is straight forward theft. Its not even a civil matter unless a breach of contract has occurred.

Spot on. Salary cap breaches are not a criminal matter, unless money was stolen in the process, in which case it is straight forward theft. Its not even a civil matter unless a breach of contract has occurred.
Just need to be careful that you aren’t captured by Money Laundering requirements, which have been strengthened significantly in recent years.

Pomoz

Bench
Fairly confident unless we were to sign another prop with first-grade experience. That might change things. I am expecting a roster shake-up soon.
Watching elite teams in other codes has convinced me that player turnover is crucial to maintain success. Ferguson was a master of it at MUFC. The Chicago Bulls added Longley and Rodman and kept adding players to their team during their dominant period.

In the NRL, Bennett constantly added new players to his team. Whether they were baby Broncos or he brought players like Mundine. The Storm have been masters at it. Keeping the spine together and turning over talent every year. The Panthers were guilty of buying ex-Storm players and expecting them to be good. Dayne Weston, Ben Roarty and Sika Manu. The trouble is the Storm are like the new Panthers. The culture and fitness at the Storm/Panthers improve players and when they leave they are not the same.

In other words caveat emptor.

snickers007

Juniors
Pretty sure Dayne Weston went the other way. But of a journeyman, came to Panthers, and then went to Storm and fell off a cliff.

Had a bit of a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" thing going on with him IMO.

murraymob

Coach
Okay. I always imagined that salary cap rorting was off-book payments to players.

If it is just payments from the employing entity to the player that is unreported to the NRL then agree it isn’t illegal. But surely it would take the salary cap auditor about half an hour to identify rorting if there was an actual investigation done.
Not really a player can buy a boat out of there own money or get given one one the side either way as has been stated by other as long as declared no illegal action the salary cap is only a football footy code so hard to prove how they got that boat

Not really a player can buy a boat out of there own money or get given one one the side either way as has been stated by other as long as declared no illegal action the salary cap is only a football footy code so hard to prove how they got that boat
You can’t just be given a boat by an organisation, particularly those that are public companies (are there many of those left?) or by memberships. The authorities might not worry about a salary cap, but they aren’t going to ignore others laws put in place to facilitate clubs breaking salary cap compliance.

I think I saw Dane Weston at my daughter's soccer. Does he live around St Claire?

When I looked at him I reckon used his face, I thought it was Smith. But now that guy mentioned Dane I googled him and I think it was him.