What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
It is easy to look at who we lost but we have kept some talent.

5 members from the Aust v NZ test
The player who got NSW player of the year
Current CC medalist all locked in long term.

So we have done a decent enough job, without cap exemptions it makes it hard
I’m not suggesting otherwise.

I think we have done well, three premierships and four grand finals says it all.

Perhaps, going forward, long term it may be best if Jerome moves on.

Kilkenny

Coach
Assuming Jerome does take the money on offer, I think of all the players we haven’t been able to hang onto, Stephen Crichton shapes up as being the biggest loss. He is elite in attack and defence, who despite going to the Dogs, is still very young and who should improve further, if that’s possible.

Iamback

Coach
I’m not suggesting otherwise.

I think we have done well, three premierships and four grand finals says it all.

Perhaps, going forward, long term it may be best if Jerome moves on.

Not saying you are. More just in comparison to recent premiers.

It would make it easier to re-sign a few, Although him staying means we can run cheaper options at centre. So either way we are fine.

Tigers will be shot if they do pull the trigger

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Assuming Jerome does take the money on offer, I think of all the players we haven’t been able to hang onto, Stephen Crichton shapes up as being the biggest loss. He is elite in attack and defence, who despite going to the Dogs, is still very young and who should improve further, if that’s possible.

Or be miss-used and end like Burton and Kiks.

Neither player has improved at the dogs. I would suggest because of their lack of whole team structure.....they have gone backwards.

Kilkenny

Coach
Not saying you are. More just in comparison to recent premiers.

It would make it easier to re-sign a few, Although him staying means we can run cheaper options at centre. So either way we are fine.

Tigers will be shot if they do pull the trigger
I worry about the the loss of Crichton, he has many attributes but is the best defensive centre in the game bar none. Not sure how we replace that.

Kilkenny

Coach
Or be miss-used and end like Burton and Kiks.

Neither player has improved at the dogs. I would suggest because of their lack of whole team structure.....they have gone backwards.
Kiks got injured early on so he can be excused.

Matt Burton was always on a hiding to nothing given the Bulldogs woes overall.

But yes, that is the reality when you elect to go to a non top eight side taking the cash on offer.

It will be no different with Jerome.

I think Spencer will benefit at the very least by going to an established force.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Kiks got injured early on so he can be excused.

Matt Burton was always on a hiding to nothing given the Bulldogs woes overall.

But yes, that is the reality when you elect to go to a non top eight side taking the cash on offer.

It will be no different with Jerome.

Exactly. That may be a difficult pill for him to swallow.

Cash.......may look good at the moment........

or job satisfaction and more premiership rings, which set you up for life post footy. With 3rd party deals, contacts post footy etc.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Going back months and months ago I did state that I wouldn't be surprised if we were to go out and sign Laurie to play 6 as I thought Luai would leave. I'm so so close to being right 🤣 got the Laurie call right now just waiting on Luai to walk.

Kilkenny

Coach
Exactly. That may be a difficult pill for him to swallow.

Cash.......may look good at the moment........

or job satisfaction and more premiership rings, which set you up for life post footy. With 3rd party deals, contacts post footy etc.
All sounds great in theory, but cash is king.

I can’t blame any player for taking the money on offer.

NRL careers are short.

The extra $100k - $200k per season is really significant if you have a good manager or financial advisor who can turn than extra money into significant investments in share or real estate portfolios.

Alintheeast

Juniors
I’ve been reading the posts submitted and beginning to realise that perhaps we could never see an NRL team as good as Penrith 21, 22, and 23. However, Penrith 24 might even have been better again except losing Critter(cometh the man cometh the hour) might impact. I sat in the parking lot surveying Panthers complex and wondered how they couldn’t find a few hundred grand to keep him here.

Iamback

Coach
All sounds great in theory, but cash is king.

I can’t blame any player for taking the money on offer.

NRL careers are short.

The extra $100k - $200k per season is really significant if you have a good manager or financial advisor who can turn than extra money into significant investments in share or real estate portfolios.

It is post career they suffer.

Fish will be king post career, to make up for his loss of money by staying

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I’ve been reading the posts submitted and beginning to realise that perhaps we could never see an NRL team as good as Penrith 21, 22, and 23. However, Penrith 24 might even have been better again except losing Critter(cometh the man cometh the hour) might impact. I sat in the parking lot surveying Panthers complex and wondered how they couldn’t find a few hundred grand to keep him here.

Critta may end up like Kiks and Burton in 23.........

His not going to have the trust for his inside or outside man, especially when defending.

That suddenly makes life a heck of a lot more challenging.

Problem is after 3 trophys in a row clubs are throwing kitchen sinks on our players.

I'm still kinda hopeful Luai stays.......living up to my profile name.

To be fair Matt Cameron has re-signed Edwards, Bizza, Fish, Moses, Martin and Yeo in the last 12 months.

He's done well.
He’s done very well!! We have a team that has won three trophies in a row, and has the core locked up.

If you look at it, we are a team built differently to others. Most of the other teams have had a lot of investment in their spine; Melbourne is the poster child of this, but even the Eels and Souths have gone down this route.

Until now, we have (outside of Nathan) had only layers in the spine who were on lesser contracts; Edwards, Luai, future-Origin star Kenny have all been on deals that I would imagine have them in the middle to lower tiers of payment for their positions; even Api when he was here was a bargain buy (with Blade even alluding at some stage that Manly were chipping in). This has allowed us to pay our muscle men.

The more I think about it, the more I Worley about Edwards approach. He is a great character, but I fear we could have got similar output from promoting the likes of Turuva at a fraction of the cost. My other two worries are Fish and To’o, all because of the length of their deals.

Interesting that the only other team I think is built like ours is the Broncos (albeit they will soon be paying Walsh and Mann squillions)

Latest posts