What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
He’s done very well!! We have a team that has won three trophies in a row, and has the core locked up.

If you look at it, we are a team built differently to others. Most of the other teams have had a lot of investment in their spine; Melbourne is the poster child of this, but even the Eels and Souths have gone down this route.

Until now, we have (outside of Nathan) had only layers in the spine who were on lesser contracts; Edwards, Luai, future-Origin star Kenny have all been on deals that I would imagine have them in the middle to lower tiers of payment for their positions; even Api when he was here was a bargain buy (with Blade even alluding at some stage that Manly were chipping in). This has allowed us to pay our muscle men.

The more I think about it, the more I Worley about Edwards approach. He is a great character, but I fear we could have got similar output from promoting the likes of Turuva at a fraction of the cost. My other two worries are Fish and To’o, all because of the length of their deals.

Interesting that the only other team I think is built like ours is the Broncos (albeit they will soon be paying Walsh and Mann squillions)

I think Edwards was a risk the club had to take, we know that we will start our sets well.

It allows us to play our style and tweek in other positions

Munky

Coach
He’s done very well!! We have a team that has won three trophies in a row, and has the core locked up.

If you look at it, we are a team built differently to others. Most of the other teams have had a lot of investment in their spine; Melbourne is the poster child of this, but even the Eels and Souths have gone down this route.

Until now, we have (outside of Nathan) had only layers in the spine who were on lesser contracts; Edwards, Luai, future-Origin star Kenny have all been on deals that I would imagine have them in the middle to lower tiers of payment for their positions; even Api when he was here was a bargain buy (with Blade even alluding at some stage that Manly were chipping in). This has allowed us to pay our muscle men.

The more I think about it, the more I Worley about Edwards approach. He is a great character, but I fear we could have got similar output from promoting the likes of Turuva at a fraction of the cost. My other two worries are Fish and To’o, all because of the length of their deals.

Interesting that the only other team I think is built like ours is the Broncos (albeit they will soon be paying Walsh and Mann squillions)

The foundation of Pantherball is built off To'o, Edwards and JFH.

They and the club know it.

The long deals was probably the club acknowledging it as a reward for the success they've brought.

The length of the deals also allows for Roosters/Souths style medical retirement if form drops off.

Whino

Bench
Assuming Jerome does take the money on offer, I think of all the players we haven’t been able to hang onto, Stephen Crichton shapes up as being the biggest loss. He is elite in attack and defence, who despite going to the Dogs, is still very young and who should improve further, if that’s possible.

We haven't seen his peak yet. It shits me he has gone.

Roosters rule

Juniors
Deardon and AFB are Gould's targets.
I will be stunned if addo-carr sees out his contract.

Gus always has a few irons in the fire. He wants Deardon but will be in the ear of Luai as plan B.
The Fox is going.
He is desperate for AFB. Everything is on the table. Keep an eye on Burton. So desperate I heard a rumour Kikau was proposed as a player swap for AFB. The Wahs knocked it back.

hindy111

Post Whore
Kiks got injured early on so he can be excused.

Matt Burton was always on a hiding to nothing given the Bulldogs woes overall.

But yes, that is the reality when you elect to go to a non top eight side taking the cash on offer.

It will be no different with Jerome.

I think Spencer will benefit at the very least by going to an established force.

Mahoney also was exposed to what he is. A small body with a ordinary run game. Good tough player who behind a good pack was seen as origin level.
Clearly he wasn't worth what he was paid.
Burton will improve but unsure if he will ever be as good as people first thought. At one point I thought he would be the best player in game in the future. Now I doubt that. I'd say his level is still high amd a top shelf half. But if he doesn't improve this season then that opinion may change. He will be 24 next year. Some sort of consistency should be in his game

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Mahoney also was exposed to what he is. A small body with a ordinary run game. Good tough player who behind a good pack was seen as origin level.
Cleary he wasn't.

I totally agree with you.

Behind a strong forward Jarome does real well, as do most halves. If that's not there the halves and spine are on a hiding to nothing.

Api a great example of this.

My concern is for Jarome personally, if he takes the huge money, and it doesn't work out.....how long will he last under those circumstances. Look at Fox at the dogs as an example.

hindy111

Post Whore

Behind a strong forward Jarome does real well, as do most halves. If that's not there the halves and spine are on a hiding to nothing.

My concern is for Jarome personally, if he takes the huge money, and it doesn't work out.....how long will he last under those circumstances. Look at Fox at the dogs as an example.

Jerome will be 28 at the start of 2025. A 4yr deal takes him close to retirement. It's probably in his best interest to take the pay day tbh.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Jerome will be 28 at the start of 2025. A 4yr deal takes him close to retirement. It's probably in his best interest to take the pay day tbh.

I understand. He needs to look after his family. I will wish him well.

I just wish there was a way for Penrith to keep him, (without cheating the cap) and he get the money that he richly deserves.

I love him like a son.

soc123_au

Staff member

Api goes alright off the back foot as well. He brings his pack onto the ball as well as anyone. Tigers went ok making metres this year, they just had no idea what to do once in an attacking position.

soc123_au

Staff member
Will that change if Klemmer and Blore are moved on ?
Blore barely got on the field, so he makes no difference. Klemmer was good this year, so depends who else they have in the pipe. Pretty sure Klemmer is contracted for another 3 years, so who knows what happens there.

Blore would be a loss if he could stay healthy. Now Solo Man has been sent to the glue factory their injury woes may come good. They did for us.

Iamback

Coach

Even more reason to ensure his post career employment is looked after, That should be his biggest priority. The on field difference can be made up elsewhere

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Blore barely got on the field, so he makes no difference. Klemmer was good this year, so depends who else they have in the pipe. Pretty sure Klemmer is contracted for another 3 years, so who knows what happens there.

Blore would be a loss if he could stay healthy. Now Solo Man has been sent to the glue factory their injury woes may come good. They did for us.

It took me a couple of re reads to understand what was written.

It will be fascinating the see.

Pretty sure it couldn't get any worse.

If Klemmer is on the chopping bloke, he could do worse than Flanno. I think he's suit coaches style.