What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Said for years on here i always thought burtos best spot was centre or latter on down the track an edge backrower or 13.

The games changed.

He can be devastating as a 13.. can still use his long kicking game and bombs on the 5th. But his best weapon is his running.

Nothings changed my mind on that.. hes been underwhelming at best at 6 for the dogs. In fact id say hes been poor.. his defence has been avg.

Clearly theres a lot of issues there and they obviously arent all his fault.

But you cant deny he was a brilliant centre for us.

With the signings of tracey and kurt mann and hutchinson.. they really need an established 7. Sexton ismt the answer.

I like connor tracey a lot..he is classy.

They need to get rid of the fox whose onto much for what he offers. Get rid of fatala mariner.

Sign someone like a cogger to play with either mann, tracey or hutchinson.

Burto at centre and if the want to be drastic and really mix it up put him in the 13.

He can still use his long kicking and bombs from 13. A bit of playmaking. But mostly focus on his strongest attribute which is undoubtedly his running game
I was laughed at when I said Burton will transition to lock.

Girds89

Bench
Josh Curran starts at 13 every day of the week over Burton.

Burto couldn’t really be any further from a middle. That’s such a bad idea.

He’s definitely a 6. He just needs a pack to lay a platform for him. Blind Freddy can see that.

Well alot of great minds will disagree. A lot of stars of the game who now commentate have come out over the last half season or so and in this pre season and suggested it might be time to let burto just focus on his running game.

I like curran.

And i can see why people would be scared to put burto in 13..

Cause its not the norm. But the dogs right now dont have the pack to lay the formation for him. He struggled all last year really and they havent fixed the middle prop issues.

Thinking he isnt a middle is stuck in an old mind set of thinking.

If people had said in 2018 that yeo would be the best 13 and top 3 to 4 players in the game people including me would've called you crazy...

No one saw that coming. No one.

Ciraldo can either stick to the norm... or try revolutionise the dogs attack with something new.

Something not seem yet in the nrl..similar to what ivan did with us and yeo.

Yeah its a bold call... but it may just be what the dogs need.

A fast running ball playing lock who can kick and ball play who just chimes in when he sees the chance.

What they have done hasnt worked and he hasnt really been good at 6... albeit like i said in a avg losing team.

But sexton is just a kyle flanagan mk2 and they still havent sorted the front row... so i think they will struggle again.

Girds89

Bench
Matt Burton won't play in the forwards till at least 32 years of age and by then he'll be kicking in the NFL

I think he will start at 6.

If they are in the bottom 8 by mid season i think he will be at centre.

If i was coach id be brave and put the 13 on him... and not play 13 like yeo..

Play 13 like matt burton. A new style. Revolutionise the game again like yeoy did.

With his own style. Imagine yeo with two or three yards more pace. More elusive a kicking game and better ball playing... yes youd lose the yardage and 99% tackle efficiency... but theres positives there.

I dont doubt burto can be a good 6.

Im sure if he came to us now and played 6 in our team with nath hed be unreal...

But the fact is hes at the bulldogs...

They arent penrith atm. Not close.

Its not about matt burton.. its about the bulldogs. The club.

First priority should always be the team. I just think ciro may have to really chance his arm with a few things this year to be a chance of the 8.

My posts arent a burto isnt a 6 narrative... sure. He has the skills for 6..

But you need the team around you.. he doesnt have that and i dont think hes good enough to carry a shit half like sexton.. not when playing the standard style.

I just think they need to chance their arm.

Probs same way the tigers do. Tigers dont have the cattle to be top 8.. so why not try do something a little out there..

Tigers could do worse than signing the walker brothers. They kinda see the game in a different way..

Alot of the short kick offs and crazy plays we see in the nrl now are from what the walkers brothers did when the first started coaching in qld cup.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I think he will start at 6.

If they are in the bottom 8 by mid season i think he will be at centre.

If i was coach id be brave and put the 13 on him... and not play 13 like yeo..

Play 13 like matt burton. A new style. Revolutionise the game again like yeoy did.

With his own style. Imagine yeo with two or three yards more pace. More elusive a kicking game and better ball playing... yes youd lose the yardage and 99% tackle efficiency... but theres positives there.

I dont doubt burto can be a good 6.

Im sure if he came to us now and played 6 in our team with nath hed be unreal...

But the fact is hes at the bulldogs...

They arent penrith atm. Not close.

Its not about matt burton.. its about the bulldogs. The club.

First priority should always be the team. I just think ciro may have to really chance his arm with a few things this year to be a chance of the 8.

My posts arent a burto isnt a 6 narrative... sure. He has the skills for 6..

But you need the team around you.. he doesnt have that and i dont think hes good enough to carry a shit half like sexton.. not when playing the standard style.

I just think they need to chance their arm.

Probs same way the tigers do. Tigers dont have the cattle to be top 8.. so why not try do something a little out there..

Tigers could do worse than signing the walker brothers. They kinda see the game in a different way..

Alot of the short kick offs and crazy plays we see in the nrl now are from what the walkers brothers did when the first started coaching in qld cup.
I'm the world's biggest Burto fan but he just couldn't defend in the forwards and if he can't do that then he can't play there

I'm the world's biggest Burto fan but he just couldn't defend in the forwards and if he can't do that then he can't play there
I’m not as big a Burton fan as you are and I am surprised by your comment. I think defending closer to the ruck would reduce some of the defensive deficiencies in his game; ie needing to make reads and lateral movement under pressure.

MugaB

Coach
Unless there’s compelling evidence to the contrary (i.e. Blade says so) every time there’s a rumoured mystery 11th hour suitor I’m going to assume “bullshit rumour circulated by player manager to inflate the asking price”
Correct, but can you now imagine what the manager is thinking now at the WT offer after the whole board is kaput.... cashin in y'all

Kilkenny

Coach
It was more than three and he looked great every time.
According to the NSWRL website he played 13 games in total in NSW Cup, 2 in 2020 and 11 in 2021 Both seasons disrupted obviously due to Covid. From the respective team sheets 3 starts in the centres and 10 on the wing. The games he played on the wing the centres varied considerably there was R Jennings, Jenkins, Turuva. Salmon, Tago and Naden. He certainly looked great regardless of which position he played of that there is no doubt and that is reflected in the comments on NSW Cup games from that period In this forum.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out to see who fills Crichtons spot.

Girds89

Bench

Easier defending in the forwards for a bloke his size than it is on an edge. Less decision making. Less speed required. Just has to put his body on the line and his a tropper so i have no doubt he would.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Easier defending in the forwards for a bloke his size than it is on an edge. Less decision making. Less speed required. Just has to put his body on the line and his a tropper so i have no doubt he would.
You can’t seriously believe this….

Easier defending in the forwards…… that will do me…..

It’s not under 11’s… Burto would be useless after 20 mins defending in the middle.