What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Hes said himself in recent articles that he still has the mental side of the acl to process etc.

Thats probably the biggest and hardest part for players who suffer such an injury.

Having the confidence in the knee to do what he was before.

He was a tackle breaker... hard to tackle and dynamic.

It will take him time to get back to that.

Ive watched the game for a long time. Players generally dont just come back and hit the ground running from an acl. It takes time to build up that mental confidence in the body.

I dont disagree with you.. i think he has the skills to make a real go of centre.

But theres no doubting hes played very minimal footy there. None in the nrl... barely any in cup. Below that he was mostly wing with some hooker in the younger grades. So really not much centre at all.

Its going to take him time.
All fair points, I just don’t think it will be an issue.

Iamback

Coach
In all honesty, Luai - Burton swap is the literally the only way that this makes sense from a Dogs perspective.

Burton and Ciraldo have both said a move to the centres for him is possible.

They really have no plan moving forward

Though on that. Burton would jump at that

Girds89

Bench
Said for years on here i always thought burtos best spot was centre or latter on down the track an edge backrower or 13.

The games changed.

He can be devastating as a 13.. can still use his long kicking game and bombs on the 5th. But his best weapon is his running.

Nothings changed my mind on that.. hes been underwhelming at best at 6 for the dogs. In fact id say hes been poor.. his defence has been avg.

Clearly theres a lot of issues there and they obviously arent all his fault.

But you cant deny he was a brilliant centre for us.

With the signings of tracey and kurt mann and hutchinson.. they really need an established 7. Sexton ismt the answer.

I like connor tracey a lot..he is classy.

They need to get rid of the fox whose onto much for what he offers. Get rid of fatala mariner.

Sign someone like a cogger to play with either mann, tracey or hutchinson.

Burto at centre and if the want to be drastic and really mix it up put him in the 13.

He can still use his long kicking and bombs from 13. A bit of playmaking. But mostly focus on his strongest attribute which is undoubtedly his running game

Iamback

Coach
That's the point when you said they aren't that dumb. Gus was a gun in recruiting what we needed when he was here, especially the first 5 years. At the Dogs it's polar opposite, all flash, no starch.

Because the board was stable and allowed time. That Board is too easy to vote out

Iamback

Coach
Said for years on here i always thought burtos best spot was centre or latter on down the track an edge backrower or 13.

The games changed.

He can be devastating as a 13.. can still use his long kicking game and bombs on the 5th. But his best weapon is his running.

Nothings changed my mind on that.. hes been underwhelming at best at 6 for the dogs. In fact id say hes been poor.. his defence has been avg.

With the signings of tracey and kurt mann and hutchinson.. they really need an established 7. Sexton ismt the answer.

They need to get rid of the fox whose onto much for what he offers. Get rid of fatala mariner.

Burto at centre and if the want to be drastic and really mix it up put him in the 13.

He can still use his long kicking and bombs from 13. A bit of playmaking. But mostly focus on his strongest attribute which is undoubtedly his running game

You don't pay centres $900k though

Throw in if they play Critter there and you are looking at $1.7m for your centre pairing.

That is why they never of promised Burton a half spot

The games changed.

I agree. Improve his one on one defending and he could be a faster Yeo who can kick..

Girds89

Bench
You don't pay centres $900k though

Throw in if they play Critter there and you are looking at $1.7m for your centre pairing.

That is why they never of promised Burton a half spot

13 for me. I already think a change is on the horizon.

Ivan revolutionised the game with the ball playing 13.

But ivan has said himself recently in podcasts thay we will need to change and evolve.

If i was ciraldo id do something brave and put burto in the 13.

1. Taffe (legitimate 2nd playmaker out back. Can kick. And is a good runner)
2. Kiraz
3. Burto
4. Xerri
5. Tracey (hes played mostly halfs, utility, centre and fb but hes aced everything. I think hes the strongest option)
6. Mann
7. Hutchinson
8. Sutton
9. Reed
10. AFB (if the can get him)
11. Preston
12. Kiks
13. Burto

14. Turpin
15. Fatala mariner
16. Max king
17. Salmon

Whilst hutho and mann aremt the strongest 6 and 7.... you have taffe that is a good ball player as is burto.

Throw in reed and all the middle ball players together adds lots of options.

Hutchinson is very underatted. He was always good for the chooks at 6 when he was there. He never got the credit he deserved.

Mann is a really good runner of the footy.

Its not a great halfs pairing. It wouldnt work with a 1 and 13 and 9 that aremt ball players.

But taffe can ball play, so can burton and reed is very crafty.

I think ciraldo needs to not try copy what our success has been about... rather create his own style. A new style.

Im hoping ivan will stick to what hes said in podcasts and try some new stuff this year.

I think he knows without lenui and critta we will need to do some new things. Yeos brilliant but hes style and our style has been worked out.

Teams know whats coming. If we get it right its still a great option... but we need to evolve..

Not fully change the style... but juat enough to throw teams off.

For me thats simple.

Nath AND luai playing both sides of the ruck. We saw obviously nath do it a few times in the back half of the year to great success.. but i think they both need to really be free to move round.

And the other thing id look to try is moving yeo to prop after 45 or 50 ane running with 13. Kenny 9. Luke/sommerton

Given fish, leota, smith are all capable of 65 mins... i think yeo filling that prop role for a 20min period and having the two hookers go would throw in some more creativity. Yeo can still ball play from prop..

But having a running 9 on with kenny means your still getting really solid service after luke/sommerton really attack tired forwards with their running...

And that would be my instructions to either..you have 15 to 20mins.. run and cause havoc. Kenmy will do the follow up passing after any darts and yeo still plays that middle passing role even if hes technically at prop.

Not a huge change to the game plan.

But enough. Like ivans said himself. We have to evolve and try a few things next year.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
13 for me. I already think a change is on the horizon.

Ivan revolutionised the game with the ball playing 13.

But ivan has said himself recently in podcasts thay we will need to change and evolve.

If i was ciraldo id do something brave and put burto in the 13.

1. Taffe (legitimate 2nd playmaker out back. Can kick. And is a good runner)
2. Kiraz
3. Burto
4. Xerri
5. Tracey (hes played mostly halfs, utility, centre and fb but hes aced everything. I think hes the strongest option)
6. Mann
7. Hutchinson
8. Sutton
9. Reed
10. AFB (if the can get him)
11. Preston
12. Kiks
13. Burto

14. Turpin
15. Fatala mariner
16. Max king
17. Salmon

Whilst hutho and mann aremt the strongest 6 and 7.... you have taffe that is a good ball player as is burto.

Throw in reed and all the middle ball players together adds lots of options.

Hutchinson is very underatted. He was always good for the chooks at 6 when he was there. He never got the credit he deserved.

Mann is a really good runner of the footy.

Its not a great halfs pairing. It wouldnt work with a 1 and 13 and 9 that aremt ball players.

But taffe can ball play, so can burton and reed is very crafty.

I think ciraldo needs to not try copy what our success has been about... rather create his own style. A new style.

Im hoping ivan will stick to what hes said in podcasts and try some new stuff this year.

I think he knows without lenui and critta we will need to do some new things. Yeos brilliant but hes style and our style has been worked out.

Teams know whats coming. If we get it right its still a great option... but we need to evolve..

Not fully change the style... but juat enough to throw teams off.

For me thats simple.

Nath AND luai playing both sides of the ruck. We saw obviously nath do it a few times in the back half of the year to great success.. but i think they both need to really be free to move round.

And the other thing id look to try is moving yeo to prop after 45 or 50 ane running with 13. Kenny 9. Luke/sommerton

Given fish, leota, smith are all capable of 65 mins... i think yeo filling that prop role for a 20min period and having the two hookers go would throw in some more creativity. Yeo can still ball play from prop..

But having a running 9 on with kenny means your still getting really solid service after luke/sommerton really attack tired forwards with their running...

And that would be my instructions to either..you have 15 to 20mins.. run and cause havoc. Kenmy will do the follow up passing after any darts and yeo still plays that middle passing role even if hes technically at prop.

Not a huge change to the game plan.

But enough. Like ivans said himself. We have to evolve and try a few things next year.
Josh Curran starts at 13 every day of the week over Burton.

Burto couldn’t really be any further from a middle. That’s such a bad idea.

He’s definitely a 6. He just needs a pack to lay a platform for him. Blind Freddy can see that.

Latest posts