What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Whino

Bench
NRL market watch: Bulldogs, Dragons lead chase for Jarome Luai, Addin Fonua-Blake
The Wests Tigers could be blown out of the water for their two prized targets, leaving them at risk of going home empty-handed. The latest on the high-profile recruitment drive inside.
Dean Ritchie

The 50km trip down the M4 could be about to become a whole lot busier.

The intense three-way battle for Penrith and NSW star Jarome Luai is becoming clearer with Canterbury emerging as favourites to secure the off-contract Panther.
And well-placed sources have St George Illawarra in front to sign New Zealand Warriors prop Addin Fonua-Blake for the 2025 season.
The Bulldogs dropped out of the race for Fonua-Blake on Tuesday.
However, they remain intent on securing Luai and appear prepared to meet his wishes for a five-year deal worth more than $5 million.

Wests Tigers remain confident they will land Luai, despite the demise of the club’s board, chairman and CEO this week.
Luai is under contract at Penrith until the end of next season and have an offer on the table for him to remain at the foot of the mountains, although they are unable to match rival bids for their champion five-eighth.
Bulldogs chairman John Khoury wasn’t commenting on Wednesday, however major sponsor Arthur Laundy said: “Jarome would be, like with any club, a terrific acquisition. The guy very obviously has ability. If he is leaning towards us then I’d be thrilled.
“But I’m not aware that is the case at this stage. That’s a ‘Gus’ Gould thing.
“I know there have been discussions. He is a good footballer and I’d love to have him on board.
“He is an exciting player and is 100 per cent heart. He does a wonderful job for Penrith. We’re lucky that we’ve had a couple of the Penrith player come over.”

Departed Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe had been personally involved in the Luai negotiations, with the club’s offer between $1.1m and $1.2m a year.
The Tigers are also in the hunt for Fonua-Blake for 2025 and are also hopeful he will
choose Concord over Wollongong. However, insiders suggest Fonua-Blake is leaning towards Saints.
Dragons management have tabled a rich deal worth $4.5m over four years and are now waiting for the giant prop to make a decision.
Luai would feel comfortable at Belmore alongside former Penrith players Matt Burton, Viliame Kikau, Jaeman Salmon and newcomer Stephen Crichton.
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo had no doubt Luai could be a dominant seven.
“Jarome can do anything he wants, really,” Ciraldo told the Big Sports Breakfast.

“He is a quality player who loves footy and he loves his teammates.
“That’s the challenge of someone like that if he is looking for that challenge.
“His winning ratio in every grade he has played is unbelievable, so yeah Jarome can do anything he wants if he puts his mind to it.”

www.dailytelegraph.com.au%2Fsport%2Fnrl%2Fnrl-market-watch-bulldogs-dragons-lead-chase-for-jarome-luai-addin-fonuablake%2Fnews-story%2Fb14e4d0e8473a651e0cb922d5a85d402&usg=AOvVaw3pZh_l9DCWpfbb_lTXSYn8&opi=89978449

Girds89

Bench
You can’t seriously believe this….

Easier defending in the forwards…… that will do me…..

It’s not under 11’s… Burto would be useless after 20 mins defending in the middle.

Wow you get cranky easy haha.

Yes in terms of decision making and not having to make crucial one on one tackles the middle is much easier..

Whats eaiser depends on how you look at it...

Is it easier to make 30 tackles every week in the middle against a prop running straight at you... yes you have the fatigue of it...

Or is it harder making 12-16 crucial tackles in the backline where if you miss it can lead to a line break or try.

Theres no right or wrong answer. Whats easier is depending on the player and their role.

Its easier for Yeo to make 30 or 40 tackles in the middle every week than it would be for him these days to have to make crucial tackles at centre.

Its all about perspective.

Burto is 96kgs+. Essily big enough to handle the middle in the modern game. Hes bigger than a lot of other locks in the comp.

You are always so aggressive... its tiresome.. maybe ask questions before attacking

Whino

Bench
You may well be right in the end. I have been told no formal offer has come from them yet.

You said last week he was likely gone. I don't believe otherwise.
Sounds like the Bulldogs are coming in late. Cameron wouldn't be quietly confident now.

Wow you get cranky easy haha.

Yes in terms of decision making and not having to make crucial one on one tackles the middle is much easier..

Whats eaiser depends on how you look at it...

Is it easier to make 30 tackles every week in the middle against a prop running straight at you... yes you have the fatigue of it...

Or is it harder making 12-16 crucial tackles in the backline where if you miss it can lead to a line break or try.

Theres no right or wrong answer. Whats easier is depending on the player and their role.

Its easier for Yeo to make 30 or 40 tackles in the middle every week than it would be for him these days to have to make crucial tackles at centre.

Its all about perspective.

Burto is 96kgs+. Essily big enough to handle the middle in the modern game. Hes bigger than a lot of other locks in the comp.

You are always so aggressive... its tiresome.. maybe ask questions before attacking
I agree with this, although would put it in a slightly different way; the things that Burton struggles with in defence (reads, lateral movement) would be less important if he was defending in the middle.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
You may well be right in the end. I have been told no formal offer has come from them yet.

Personally I've always thought the 'dishlickers' were always the danger. Formal offer or not, Luai would probably see there as a desirable location with Ciraldo and all the ex Panthers.

Think Gus will have to jiggle the roster to fit Jarome in. Again another example of the dogs buying 'flash' instead of what they actually need for their team to suceed.

murraymob

Coach
If the dogs offer him a 5 year deal at 1.1 million a season let’s hope the tigers come back with a bigger offer.he is leaving us so let them pay a lot and tighten there caps .If the dogs also get AFB
There is no doubt there is cap rorting

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
If the dogs offer him a 5 year deal at 1.1 million a season let’s hope the tigers come back with a bigger offer.he is leaving us so let them pay a lot and tighten there caps .If the dogs also get AFB
There is no doubt there is cap rorting

Not that the dogs have previous for this type of behaviour eh.....

Now Gus and Cameron remember this one fact.......

Latest posts