What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
That is my biggest gripe with his game. He doesn't run enough.
He score no tries last year from burrowing over at close range. None.
Sommerton did and he only played 2 games.
That little sneaky run is missing from his game.
He misses easy metres, or the potential for a penalty from a lazy marker. Bread and butter stuff for a hooker.
If he can add a little more marker awareness to his game. Run a little to more, to at least create doubt.
We would be better off. Particularly moving forward with Luai departing. Our attack is going to have to change in the future. And Cleary can't do it all.

To be fair the club didn't want a $700k hooker. So you get what you pay for.

That likely was made to keep Luai. Losing him and Crichton has changed things and the 17 needs to evolve

Iamback

Coach
I've mentioned the so called "class" hookers before. What you are saying, if I read it right, then you need a top of the pile hooker in case you lose your halves!

If that's the case only Melbourne should be invincible with international halves and hooker.

Roosters have a top of the pile in B.Smith with tiny halves. Doesn't work.

Rabbitohs have Cook with a rookie half and a six who is rocks and diamonds. Doesn't work.

Cowboys have Robson with an over paid, overrated and over the hill half and a running six. Doesn't work.

Bulldogs have Mahoney because they had to take what worked somewhere else with hope, prayers and nothing else. Doesn't work.

Post Cameron Smith retirement, the "class" hooker need has shifted towards a lock playing first receiver at times as a foil for the halves.

This alone has taken away the need for a "class" hooker. And works pretty well at Penrith.

Not at all.

Think back to Souths Prelim final last year.
Dragons when Cleary was out earlier in the year.

a few other examples that is what a $700k player does. The other $700k players can do that. Again though the club had Api on $500k. So they want cheaper options there

FTR Luai hasn't done it either and is way overpriced.

To be fair the club didn't want a $700k hooker. So you get what you pay for.

That likely was made to keep Luai. Losing him and Crichton has changed things and the 17 needs to evolve
Didn’t want a $700k 29 year old hooker who was already needing to be protected when the fire was at its fiercest.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the club replaces Luai, but combining the width we played with all year (driven by Kenny’s service out of dummy half which is extremely underrated) and the directness that we saw at the end of the year from Cleary, Cogger and Luai is something that looks worthy of exploring over the coming years.

The future is bright.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
So basically you guys what Mitch Kenny to become Cameron Smith in attack, whilst still being an absolute weapon in defence.

Its not going to happen.

Mitch just needs to continue playing the way he is and improving on his service. That’s the style we play, he attacks in defence like no other hooker.

Engaging markers and clean service to the halves.

WestyLife

First Grade
So basically you guys what Mitch Kenny to become Cameron Smith in attack, whilst still being an absolute weapon in defence.

Its not going to happen.

Mitch just needs to continue playing the way he is and improving on his service. That’s the style we play, he attacks in defence like no other hooker.

If he keeps improving at the rate he is he'll he better attack in time anyway. From the outside it looks like he's working very hard on his game since he wasn't a hooker and now is good enough to be called a genuine starting hooker.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Its not going to happen.

No he needs to a running threat and add a short kick to his game. I believe he'll easily do it

Iamback

Coach
If he keeps improving at the rate he is he'll he better attack in time anyway. From the outside it looks like he's working very hard on his game since he wasn't a hooker and now is good enough to be called a genuine starting hooker.

Yep. Exactly he is learning on the run. Just needs to be seen as a threat for the odd run. Get the defence guessing

mxlegend99

Referee
Mitch definitely needs to add to his running game and craftiness a bit. He's tough as nails. His no frills stuff means he's never overplaying his hand unlike Luke would do.

But our attack is a bit predictable and doesn't flow as well as it could with a bit more of a threat from dummy half. He's easily the best we have at the moment though… i also would rather him than a guy like Harry Grant who id easily the best running hooker in the competition but I think is selfish and detrimental to the playmakers game.

Iamback

Coach

Its not going to happen.

Who said that.

Cleary will run the attack BUT if the threat of a hooker running is there. The markers will hang back more and gives halves more time.

Which we saw in the GF when Cleary was at 2nd reciever not 1st reciever.

That is what you want from the 9.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Who said that.

Cleary will run the attack BUT if the threat of a hooker running is there. The markers will hang back more and gives halves more time.

Which we saw in the GF when Cleary was at 2nd reciever not 1st reciever.

That is what you want from the 9.
Hang back more? What are you on about?

That’s not how it works mate, definitely not at NRL level.

Iamback

Coach
Hang back more? What are you on about?

That’s not how it works mate, definitely not at NRL level.

For a coach you have no idea about a lot of things.

Watch the Broncos 1st 2 tries in the GF, Particularly their 1st.

If Smoothey doesn't run it we aren't stuck on the line and we stop Flegler

Walters did a couple of similar plays in the PF v Warriors.

Neither of them are anything over a solid hooker. So you don't have to be a star

Luke Bowden

First Grade
For a coach you have no idea about a lot of things.

Watch the Broncos 1st 2 tries in the GF, Particularly their 1st.

If Smoothey doesn't run it we aren't stuck on the line and we stop Flegler

Walters did a couple of similar plays in the PF v Warriors.

Neither of them are anything over a solid hooker. So you don't have to be a star
Hahaha… keep battling mate

I might need to get you down to training

maple_69

Bench
When you have the foundation that we do (barely ever concede more than 2 tries and play with 55% possession/60% territory) it doesn't take many tweaks to make our attack effective enough.

This year it was basically doubling down on the attack with defence and Edwards finally taking a step forward to unlock our right side when our left floundered. If we can get two edges functioning and sharp service, we won't need too much more. I liked what I saw from Sommerton though in offering something a bit more direct when the defence was softened up a bit.

Not at all.

Think back to Souths Prelim final last year.
Dragons when Cleary was out earlier in the year.

a few other examples that is what a $700k player does. The other $700k players can do that. Again though the club had Api on $500k. So they want cheaper options there

FTR Luai hasn't done it either and is way overpriced.
We don't seriously want to compare the way Mitch plays to a few instances of Api brilliance more than 12 months ago.

When a starting half is out, of course the game is going to be different.

The way our team plays over the last 4 years is similar from year to year but very different because of personnel changes.

Our centres were swapped in the GF to protect players carrying injuries, and in hindsight do the Broncos score 3 tries on our right side if Critter is on his usual side? We will never know the answer, BUT, we won the game.

Mitch Kenny scored in a GF and then threw the pass for the winning try. All "class" if you ask me.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
The way our forwards dominate teams up the middle and the focus teams have on Cleary that should make the 9s job the easiest on the park.. We make Kenny look good. If Kenny went to pretty much any other team he'd flop and be sent to either the bench or cup.

We absolutely roll up the middle, fast play the balls and we leave alot of markers on the ground or offside! How tf isn't our 9 taking full advantage? Api did and he was that successful he played origin and got a massive pay rise. I'd love to play hooker for the Panthers because not only does everyone else do all the work for you but the defence all around you is A+ so all you need to do is make your tackles and pass the ball off the ground (which all hookers should do) then you'll be labelled as a future origin player and be worth 700k.....it's actually laughable! Put any other 9 including Summerton in and they'd do a similar job in this star studded team.

Iamback

Coach
We don't seriously want to compare the way Mitch plays to a few instances of Api brilliance more than 12 months ago.

When a starting half is out, of course the game is going to be different.

The way our team plays over the last 4 years is similar from year to year but very different because of personnel changes.

Our centres were swapped in the GF to protect players carrying injuries, and in hindsight do the Broncos score 3 tries on our right side if Critter is on his usual side? We will never know the answer, BUT, we won the game.

Mitch Kenny scored in a GF and then threw the pass for the winning try. All "class" if you ask me.

No. The 2 examples I uses from the GF were from just run of the mill hookers. Neither will be stars but added something when it was needed

We actually look pretty good in attack until we get into the 20. That is where the spark would be handy