What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

MugaB

Coach
Are you Paul Kent?!?! ‘Some people in league’, ‘people I am talking to’…. Who are these people?

And how have you got from ‘we should have been up more at half time’ to suggesting that we would have been with different players. Name one person who has implied that?

The reality is we did win; I know it disappoints you but again our brains trust demonstrated they are the best in the business. They have reinvented how the game is played, and we are the most dominant team of the salary cap/national comp era. No amount of arguing some spurious counterfactual will change that.

If you want to find a reason why the game was played differently to other games during the second half of 2023, I would point your attention to the ref’s performance. Subjectively that game was referred differently, and I am sure a stats man like yourself could point to stats (the most obvious is the lack of penalties) that a) could point to why it was hard to score points in that first half and b) why it was the right strategy to go long into the game.
The ref let a lot of stuff go... martin got a shoulder from capewell near the last 20 mins of the game, even after the bunker check it with a clear shoulder to head contact ...still no penalty, the game was ref great don't get me wrong, but a normal club match during the season sees capewell put on report, and penalty or 10 in the bin, along with Hass getting 10 or sent off for his shithouse tackle on Nate at the start of the game

Chins get the wins

First Grade
The ref let a lot of stuff go... martin got a shoulder from capewell near the last 20 mins of the game, even after the bunker check it with a clear shoulder to head contact ...still no penalty, the game was ref great don't get me wrong, but a normal club match during the season sees capewell put on report, and penalty or 10 in the bin, along with Hass getting 10 or sent off for his shithouse tackle on Nate at the start of the game
Was a terribly reffed game. Idiots think ignoring rules makes a good performance for some odd reason

Go back a few pages. The discussion has been going a few days now.

I mentioned last year because both years had a similar dominance numbers wise

Here are numbers from the GF 1st half

Possession 56-44 our way
Territory 62-38 our way
Penalties 1 all
Tackles in opposition 20

26-5 our way

Errors 8-1

In the roles were reversed the Broncos have 2-3 tries.

Same if such a domination happens in Origin.

Any grand final side the same
Again; you are arguing a counterfactual with certainty, and ultimately failing again.

Our game plan was to dominate possession; we did that successfully. There was not urgency to score points in the first half, because that would have risked dominating possession and the plan (on such a warm night) was to win the game late. Now you somehow know that Brisbane (or any other FF or SOO side) would have scored 2-3 tries if they had of dominated possession (probably the same way you know that the Druit boys will never leave the Panthers). That is such a ridiculous comment to make with such certainty I will not bother refuting it, but I will point out the obvious; the Broncos tries when they did come didn’t come from sustained possessional advantage, with all of Mam’s tries coming from 35m+ out.

The statistics quoted occurred and led to us winning the game. The players on our team this year won both the GF and MP, scoring the most points and conceding the fewest. All this despite a short preseason with lots of our players involved in the WC, us being the hunted and losing players through the inevitability of the salary cap.

Why don’t you just admit it; our coaching and administration is first class, and has got all the big calls right; despite your opposition, they know what they are doing!!

BxTom

Bench
Cleary was hit with two late tackles and then a hip drop tackle (which did the damage) in the first 15 minutes. A free flowing game is good, but the attempts to deliberately cripple a player should not have been let go. Gutless stuff from the donkeys, but what else would you expect from that gutless mob?.

Pomoz

Bench
I think Kenny is awesome. He is 100% effort and heart. As Shane Webke said "talent is nothing without the effort multiplier". Api may have more talent but Kenny's effort multiplier dwarves most players.

The greatest praise Kenny can get comes from the player currently rated the best international player in the world, our very own JFH. A man so hard it is rumoured that Chuck Norris checks under the bed to make sure JFH isn't there. JFH was asked what he remembers most about the 2022 GF win and he said "Moses and Mitch bashing the crap out of the Eels forwards. Mitch is a dog". Average hooker my arse.....

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Lock Mitch away on 650-700k a season, he’s only going to get better and better.
Definitely not worth 700k a year 🤣 Has absolutely no attack out of 9. Good defender and solid enough in attack but he isn't a threat. Reece Robson wouldn't be on much more than 700k and he is the perfect hooker these days. Mitch is worth 500k a year max and I can't see him getting any better as he doesn't have the class

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Went for a look on Zero Tackle for player contracts and apparently Rubin Cotter is only on 400k a year for 24 and 25 lol he must be the most underpaid player in the NRL.

MugaB

Coach
Was a terribly reffed game. Idiots think ignoring rules makes a good performance for some odd reason
Different standards of reffing, means different output of games, again i was ok with the decisions made, barr the hass one, but if thats an average club match, then the game is slowed down by the stoppages and penalties awarded, maybe we win by 20, or maybe we run out of time and lose, what happened, happened! Im ok with it as origin gets that same treatment, rub of the green and all that...still doesn't excuse Hass's dog act

Nutz

Bench
Went for a look on Zero Tackle for player contracts and apparently Rubin Cotter is only on 400k a year for 24 and 25 lol he must be the most underpaid player in the NRL.
I reckon Zero tackle make figures up sometimes. Close their eyes and throw a dart stuff.
A bit like The Mole or even worse The Betoota Advocate News ha ha

Definitely not worth 700k a year 🤣 Has absolutely no attack out of 9. Good defender and solid enough in attack but he isn't a threat. Reece Robson wouldn't be on much more than 700k and he is the perfect hooker these days. Mitch is worth 500k a year max and I can't see him getting any better as he doesn't have the class
This fascination with a "class" hooker is bemusing.

What is "class" meant to describe in a player?

Does he have to be "electric" when dashing from dummy half or lock the middle up in defence like a top five front rower?

Yes, great service from dummy half is a great asset for all teams but the play makers determine where the team is going the majority of the time.

The Panthers brains trust has got it right so many times in the last 4 years that we fans forget half the stuff they have tried in games.

Mitch Kenny is the ultimate team man who more than likely knows his worth but definitely knows his role in the machine.

Imagine our attack with Harry Grant in the side deciding who gets the ball or just running to make Harry look good, at the same time missing every second tackle.

I for one am happy with Mitch Kenny and his lack of perceived "class".

Iamback

Coach

I agree with this.

You are paying for a solid defender. $400-$500k is someone like that

Iamback

Coach
This fascination with a "class" hooker is bemusing.

What is "class" meant to describe in a player?

Does he have to be "electric" when dashing from dummy half or lock the middle up in defence like a top five front rower?

Yes, great service from dummy half is a great asset for all teams but the play makers determine where the team is going the majority of the time.

The Panthers brains trust has got it right so many times in the last 4 years that we fans forget half the stuff they have tried in games.

Mitch Kenny is the ultimate team man who more than likely knows his worth but definitely knows his role in the machine.

Imagine our attack with Harry Grant in the side deciding who gets the ball or just running to make Harry look good, at the same time missing every second tackle.

I for one am happy with Mitch Kenny and his lack of perceived "class".

That price mentioned earlier you are going to want a hooker to take control when the halves are out.

Look at the guys we have on that money or compare to 9's elsewhere. All can dominate games when needed

Kenny isn't that. He will make his tackles and get the ball to those who can create. Barely runs the ball even. He is a an above average FGer works well in our system

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
I guess Jarome will eventually get used to repeatedly standing in the in goal area with the rest of the Tigpies squad waiting for the other team to convert.

And you gotta give the guy credit: 1.2 million a year and you get to start your holidays earlier in September, I mean that’s a pretty sweet deal!

He effectively negotiated a pay rise and more annual leave. He needs to be appointed fair work minister after he retires from football.

That price mentioned earlier you are going to want a hooker to take control when the halves are out.

Kenny isn't that. He will make his tackles and get the ball to those who can create. Barely runs the ball even. He is a an above average FGer works well in our system
I've mentioned the so called "class" hookers before. What you are saying, if I read it right, then you need a top of the pile hooker in case you lose your halves!

If that's the case only Melbourne should be invincible with international halves and hooker.

Roosters have a top of the pile in B.Smith with tiny halves. Doesn't work.

Rabbitohs have Cook with a rookie half and a six who is rocks and diamonds. Doesn't work.

Cowboys have Robson with an over paid, overrated and over the hill half and a running six. Doesn't work.

Bulldogs have Mahoney because they had to take what worked somewhere else with hope, prayers and nothing else. Doesn't work.

Post Cameron Smith retirement, the "class" hooker need has shifted towards a lock playing first receiver at times as a foil for the halves.

This alone has taken away the need for a "class" hooker. And works pretty well at Penrith.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I definitely disagree with most of this.

I won’t be at all surprised if Kenny is in the picture for SOO in the next few years. Especially with Nat at 7.

I understand why you think he has no attacking game, but he is actually very smart and a lot of his work goes unnoticed.

Nathan’s try in the GF doesn’t happen without Kenny’s excellent work.

I definitely disagree with most of this.

I won’t be at all surprised if Kenny is in the picture for SOO in the next few years. Especially with Nat at 7.

I understand why you think he has no attacking game, but he is actually very smart and a lot of his work goes unnoticed.

Nathan’s try in the GF doesn’t happen without Kenny’s excellent work.
#mitchfororigin2025

Whino

Bench

Look at the guys we have on that money or compare to 9's elsewhere. All can dominate games when needed

That is my biggest gripe with his game. He doesn't run enough.
He score no tries last year from burrowing over at close range. None.
Sommerton did and he only played 2 games.
That little sneaky run is missing from his game.
He misses easy metres, or the potential for a penalty from a lazy marker. Bread and butter stuff for a hooker.
If he can add a little more marker awareness to his game. Run a little to more, to at least create doubt.
We would be better off. Particularly moving forward with Luai departing. Our attack is going to have to change in the future. And Cleary can't do it all.

That is my biggest gripe with his game. He doesn't run enough.
He score no tries last year from burrowing over at close range. None.
Sommerton did and he only played 2 games.
That little sneaky run is missing from his game.
He misses easy metres, or the potential for a penalty from a lazy marker. Bread and butter stuff for a hooker.
If he can add a little more marker awareness to his game. Run a little to more, to at least create doubt.
We would be better off. Particularly moving forward with Luai departing. Our attack is going to have to change in the future. And Cleary can't do it all.
Completely agree with this, but what has been amazing about Kenny’s journey is his improvement year on year; defends, market engagement etc. I have no doubt that next year he will add elements of running to his game, because he is a smart footballer.

Latest posts