What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
Where does the 3m to spend come from?

We offered Luai $900k

Are we saying we are on the cap for this season? I say we are

So have off contract at the end of this year

Kenny $400k?
Garner said he came here for $280k
What is Turuva $200k?
May $300k?
Peachey again said he left $100k on the table to come here. $275k - I don't think we would of re-signed him for more
Alamonti $230k -
Laurie $150k

The SMH had a story in the finals about the cheap deals, I am using those figures

Others like Hosking, Eisenhuth have deals this year but need to be replaced

We need to sign 10 or so players still but have plenty of money to strengthen the side.

Not that I expect much from outside but easier to keep guys

Certainly not our 7 rep guys and nothing else

We offered Luai $900k

Are we saying we are on the cap for this season? I say we are

So have off contract at the end of this year

Kenny $400k?
Garner said he came here for $280k
What is Turuva $200k?
May $300k?
Peachey again said he left $100k on the table to come here. $275k - I don't think we would of re-signed him for more
Alamonti $230k -
Laurie $150k

The SMH had a story in the finals about the cheap deals, I am using those figures

Others like Hosking, Eisenhuth have deals this year but need to be replaced

We need to sign 10 or so players still but have plenty of money to strengthen the side.

Not that I expect much from outside but easier to keep guys

Certainly not our 7 rep guys and nothing else
So just to be clear, you have mentioned 7 guys there with current wages of c$1.85m, who have been selected because they have cheap deals.

So with Luai moving on us down, the $900k we were offering him need to a) sign another player to slot into our top 30 and b) any surplus can be used to top up other players. Assuming that a) is a minimum contract level player, that gives us $750k to upgrade all those other players. That means we have c$100k each to upgrade each of them.

A couple of caveats;
-this is assuming all else was equal. It is perfectly plausible that when the sums were being done around Luai that at least one, if not more, of the names mentioned above were assumed to be needed to be moved on and replaced with cheaper deals. If that is the case, to keep all those players we would need to find their current wages (or at least the difference between the current wages and the cheaper options assumed to replace them) out of the $750k.
- we might not want to re-sign all the players mentioned above. But we need to remember that every player we move on needs to be replaced by another player. So someone like Laurie being moved on (assuming he is on $150k) gets us almost no salary cap benefit.

So the number isn’t $3m, it’s close to 750k without losing players. So we will be losing players; 750k isn’t enough to upgrade and keep all of those players; I don’t think it is even enough to upgrade Tago, Turuva and Kenny.