What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Fangs

Coach
Had one blinder against the Cows and that's about it

Selective history there. My turn.

We were on top of the ladder after 12 rounds with Maloney leading the team in 2018. Would have been close to the top of the Dally M leaderboard at that point (Not I care about the awards but they always hand out points to the best performing half on the day). I recall more than one blinder.

It was Origin and Hook's old school approach to backing up that killed Maloney. It should have been a no-brainer. Instead Hook took him plus the other reps down to Canberra of all places 2 days after Origin 1. We won that game by a point then looked like absolute shit for the rest of the year.

Maybe under 2023 Ivan Cleary he (Maloney) fairs better. Ivan showed last year that even with a young side like ours it can be wise to give players a rest and it paid off. Its an obvious decision in the modern game.

Pomoz

Bench
Cleary at 9 made a lot of sense during his early years as a half. He wasn't good at reading the game. His kicking and defence was always good, but creating tries was not easy for him.

He could have become a hooker in the mould of Cam Smith, controlling the game and kicking from dummy half to create field position. I always thought this high praise because Smith showed you could be as valuable as a halfback at hooker, if you are good enough. Smith is in the discussion for the greatest player of all time. It is no sleight on Nathan to discuss him becoming a hooker. Gower and John's both did a spell in that position because halfback skills are transferable.

As it turns out, Nathan has grown, learned and improved his skills as a halfback and right now there is nobody good enough to play half as well as him. Maybe, he can improve further and also be in the GOAT discussion. Time will reveal all......

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Selective history there. My turn.

We were on top of the ladder after 12 rounds with Maloney leading the team in 2018. Would have been close to the top of the Dally M leaderboard at that point (Not I care about the awards but they always hand out points to the best performing half on the day). I recall more than one blinder.

It was Origin and Hook's old school approach to backing up that killed Maloney. It should have been a no-brainer. Instead Hook took him plus the other reps down to Canberra of all places 2 days after Origin 1. We won that game by a point then looked like absolute shit for the rest of the year.

Maybe under 2023 Ivan Cleary he (Maloney) fairs better. Ivan showed last year that even with a young side like ours it can be wise to give players a rest and it paid off. Its an obvious decision in the modern game.
Maybe I'm too harsh because I always hated the merkin. Everytime he threw a players boot into the crowd he should have had his jaw broken imo

Fangs

Coach
It is no sleight on Nathan to discuss him becoming a hooker. Gower and John's both did a spell in that position because halfback skills are transferable.

Pomoz the man of reason. This part sums it up best.

Maybe I'm too harsh because I always hated the merkin. Everytime he threw a players boot into the crowd he should have had his jaw broken imo

Yes harsh.

Maloney was past his best when he arrived but with no direction in the spine he was just what we needed. Losing Wallace half way through 2018 just made it worse. 24 months later Cleary owns his position and the rest is history.

Fangs

Coach
I don't recall Luai ever playing fullback in NRL ?

Can anyone remember Matty Elliott playing Frank The Tank at 5/8th (lots of years ago)

Both against Brisbane and both absolute disasters for the club.

Joe Williams only ever got one game at Penrith. His partner in the halves was Pritchard starting and Sammut off the bench. Not exactly the best pairing for Joe.

Luai played fullback when we conceded 50 against Brisbane. That was the ill-fated Hook holiday round which sealed his fate as head coach of Penrith.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Joe Williams only ever got one game at Penrith. His partner in the halves was Pritchard starting and Sammut off the bench. Not exactly the best pairing for Joe.

Luai played fullback when we conceded 50 against Brisbane. That was the ill-fated Hook holiday round which sealed his fate as head coach of Penrith.

Oh dear. I must have PSTD because of that. I'd totally forgotten about it.

Do you think this older bloke brought back from Stom will be OK for depth. Or do you think he's a lost cause ?

Fangs

Coach
Oh dear. I must have PSTD because of that. I'd totally forgotten about it.

Do you think this older bloke brought back from Stom will be OK for depth. Or do you think he's a lost cause ?

No opinion on him I simply haven't watched him play enough. Others will know more.

Any relation to Tim Grant anyone know? I liked Tim Grant, but I feel in a team like today he would have been 30% more of the player he was.
Interesting that you say that because I think guys like Grant are becoming less effective in the game. Middles are so much more athletic today that what they were even 5 years ago; they need footwork and a huge engine. Tim was great for his time, but I think today he would struggle.

Iamback

Coach

Yep.

He also played centre when we put 50 on the Knights in 2015, we were discussing how to get him in the side

Latest posts