What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Black Panther

Juniors

Panthers sign outside back to first NRL contract​

He has played 11 games for the NSW Cup team this season.​

Ethan Lee Chalk
WRITER | June 19, 2024 - 12:00pm

The Penrith Panthers have signed one of their most impressive reserve-grade players to their maiden NRL contract.

After making an immediate impact in his 11 NSW Cup games this season, outside back David Fale has signed a multi-year NRL deal with the Panthers, his maiden NRL contract.

Debuting in reserve grade last season, Fale has scored three tries, managed 20 tackle busts and three line-breaks and is averaging 67 running metres per match this season.

The signing of Fale to an NRL deal will see him compete with the likes of Paul Alamoti, Jesse McLean, Daine Laurie Casey McLean, Asu Kepaoa and Isaiah Iongi for the two vacant backline spots next season - Sunia Turuva will depart for the Wests Tigers, and Taylan May is set to have his contract torn up in the coming weeks.

Penrith has six players who remain off-contract at the end of the season, but it will likely be reduced to four with Paul Alamoti and Daine Laurie reportedly agreeing to new contracts.

Matthew Eisenhuth, Tyrone Peachey and Luke Sommerton remain without a contract for the 2025 NRL season.

I hope we don’t get the Tony Satini version of this kid. I remember he was hyped in the lower grades but never kicked on.

Whino

Bench
Damn I remember that. Games on Channel 9 on a Sunday night cut to 60 mins (even less game time with ad breaks). It wasn’t well received but it still drew huge ratings for 9

I remember it too. The bad old nine days.
An hour highlights with ads on a Sunday night. I used to listen to the radio call (if it was on) Or I was glued to WWOS for Ian Maurice's score updates.
Then I would get my visual fix Sunday night in a truncated viewing.

The Saturday afternoon games on the ABC weren't too bad. When we won.

I am sure most remember Friday night football. 8:30ish, delayed because of Burke's Backyard. Which always ran over time.

Thankfully we have come a long way since then.

Bob

Juniors
Or Greg Waddell!!

The McLean brothers look the goods. Hopefully, they’ll both kick on.
Waddell did have the goods, I saw him a few times in an absolutely stacked SG Ball side, Lachlan Coote was fullback, Waddell centre, Wade Graham was the 5/8 (Waddell was on the left with Graham), Shane Rodney, some of the ones I can remember

Iamback

Coach
I remember it too. The bad old nine days.
An hour highlights with ads on a Sunday night. I used to listen to the radio call (if it was on) Or I was glued to WWOS for Ian Maurice's score updates.
Then I would get my visual fix Sunday night in a truncated viewing.

The Saturday afternoon games on the ABC weren't too bad. When we won.

I am sure most remember Friday night football. 8:30ish, delayed because of Burke's Backyard. Which always ran over time.

Thankfully we have come a long way since then.

For all the bad it caused. SL really did bring RL into modern times

WestyLife

First Grade
Screenshot_20240621_095220_X.jpg

Penrith Panthers is excited to announce the re-signings of young guns Luron Patea, Billy Scott, Trent Toelau, Luke Sommerton and Billy Phillips.

The five Panthers players saw the value of progressing their rugby league careers with the club.

19-year-old prop Patea has been immediately elevated to the NRL squad on a deal that will see him remain at the club until the end of the 2027 season.

A St Clair Comets junior, Patea represented New South Wales in last year’s Under-19s State of Origin match and has been a key player in the club’s NSW Cup side this season.

19-year-old hooker Scott will also remain at the Panthers until at least the end of 2027 after recommitting his future to the club.

The Windsor Wolves junior, who also represented the Under-19s Blues last year, has been promoted to an NRL development player until the end of next season before being added to the top 30 in 2026 and 2027.

24-year-old playmaker Toelau has signed an upgraded contract that will see him be an NRL development player for the next 18 months before progressing to the NRL squad in 2026.

The Victorian junior made his NRL debut in Round 13 against St George Illawarra and also featured in the first grade team against Newcastle last Sunday.

24-year-old hooker Sommerton, who is currently an NRL development player, will be promoted to the top 30 next season on a one-year deal.

A crafty number nine, Sommerton has played four first grade matches – including last week’s match against the Knights – since debuting for the club in Round 24 last season.

20-year-old lock Phillips has committed to the club for the next three seasons.

The Forbes junior, who was awarded the Panthers SG Ball MVP Award last year, will train with the squad on a full-time basis for the next couple of seasons before joining the top 30 in 2027.

“On behalf of all at Panthers, I’d like to congratulate these five players on re-signing with the club,” Panthers General Manager of Football Shane Elford said.

“These young guys have all been impressive over the past couple of seasons and thoroughly deserve their contract extensions.

“Not only are they talented footballers, but they are also great young men who are dedicated to their rugby league careers – and we look forward to watching their progression in Panthers colours.”