What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
Alamoti has the turning circle of an aircraft carrier. His defense at center is a huge worry imo. Different system now obviously should improve it, depends on how much was technique and how much is physical limitation.

His long term future might be the impact guy off the bench who can play some centre if needed

Pomoz

Bench
May was a gun. In his first full year he was brilliant, how soon we forget. Two things. He has mongrel and aggression and you can't coach players to have that. The game is full of big players who are good athletes, but don't have the killer instinct. Taylan has the "killer instinct" running through his core. That is the difference between a good player and a potentially great player. Do you want to run at Tito, Critta or Taylan? Taylan will smash you if he can, it's in his DNA.

Second thing. Taylan was as strong as an Ox for his size. The defence struggled to handle him because he was so strong and aggressive. He was only 20 and hadn't peaked physically. He could come back even stronger.

None of that disappears because he damaged his acl. He might be slower, but his aggression and strength will still be there. I understand the recency bias, but Alomati will have to be some player to oust May and if he is, that's great for the Panthers. Right now, May has the runs on the board, he thrived at the premiers, he is a proven first grader. Alomati couldn't make it at the second worst team in the NRL. Not his fault, but these are the facts.

Iamback

Coach
May was a gun. In his first full year he was brilliant, how soon we forget. Two things. He has mongrel and aggression and you can't coach players to have that. The game is full of big players who are good athletes, but don't have the killer instinct. Taylan has the "killer instinct" running through his core. That is the difference between a good player and a potentially great player. Do you want to run at Tito, Critta or Taylan? Taylan will smash you if he can, it's in his DNA.

Second thing. Taylan was as strong as an Ox for his size. The defence struggled to handle him because he was so strong and aggressive. He was only 20 and hadn't peaked physically. He could come back even stronger.

None of that disappears because he damaged his acl. He might be slower, but his aggression and strength will still be there. I understand the recency bias, but Alomati will have to be some player to oust May and if he is, that's great for the Panthers. Right now, May has the runs on the board, he thrived at the premiers, he is a proven first grader. Alomati couldn't make it at the second worst team in the NRL. Not his fault, but these are the facts.

I don't think anyone doubts he is a gun, Just who we lose IF we pay $500k to him.

Our best 6 option might turn out to be Laurie - Who is un-signed for next year.

Kenny will need and deserves a pay bump

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Players come back timid almost every time after an ACL injury. Can be 12 months of playing until they are comfortable again. Many are never the same again

soc123_au

Staff member

He is a beast, it's just a matter of cap squeeze and priorities for me. It's a shame he isn't a bit bigger he would be an animal in the middle.

Iamback

Coach
He is a beast, it's just a matter of cap squeeze and priorities for me. It's a shame he isn't a bit bigger he would be an animal in the middle.

It really is that simple.

We have to sign a

Winger
Centre
Hooker

Bench backrower.

We have guys on the cheap so even not re-signing someone like Garner doesn't allow a heap to upgrade anyone. Once you take into account of $140k to replace them

Chins get the wins

First Grade
It really is that simple.

We have to sign a

Winger
Centre
Hooker

Bench backrower.

We have guys on the cheap so even not re-signing someone like Garner doesn't allow a heap to upgrade anyone. Once you take into account of $140k to replace them
Cleary is now that elite that Kenny is fine at hooker. So we are going pretty cheap there and 6 moving forward.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Alamoti has the turning circle of an aircraft carrier. His defense at center is a huge worry imo. Different system now obviously should improve it, depends on how much was technique and how much is physical limitation.
Yeah, I agree, he was brought into the NRL to early. He needs 12 months in cup or if he’s play NRL he needs to be on the wing.

Hopefully he gets 12months in cup

I hear ya, but May is a Pitbull, I doubt he can spell "timid". I would be surprised if it holds him back. It may cause him discomfort, but by all accounts, that goes after a few months.

It's not a question of May's "ticker" nor being "timid". Nearly every player who does an ACL is timid in his/her first few games back (sometime longer) as sub-consciously they are not sure if the repaired joint will not go again when they put any pressure on it.

I've seen plenty of players like that at the Roosters. JWH, who admittedly is a front rower, took a while to get back to his best running the ball after he came back from his ACL rupture, and Jared is not timid by any stretch of the imagination. Its not straight running that is the issue, it's when they need to use ay lateral movement it can be noticeable. Some players though can wind u losing a step or two pace wise - Ryan Cross did both his ACLs in a 2 year period and he was never quite the same afterwards.

It will just be until he feels that the joint is fine before he might get back to his pre-injury form. That is more emotive and sub-conscious than a conscious thing.