What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

WestyLife

First Grade
Ok, I can't let this one go. May has played 8 games as a centre. They say defence is the hardest part of being a centre, so lets see how he goes compared to other centres in the NRL. How is he at tackling? His effective tackle percentage is 85%, which places him at 7th in the NRL for centres. Tago's is 82%, Alamoti 81%. Hmm, Ok what about being responsible for tries being scored, try causes is the stat recorded. 2 TC's in 8 games. Tago 7TC's in 9 games, Alamoti is 4 TC's in 4 games. What about line break causes? 5LBC's, Tago 4 LBC's, Alamoti 3 LBC's. That makes May the 39th worst player for line break causes in the NRL.

Hmm, maybe he is an error prone, penalty causing disaster. Well he has 8 errors, one a game that makes him the 21st worst player in the NRL. Tago has 15 errors and Alamoti has 2. As for penalties, Tago is a walking misdemeanour, conceding more penalties than any other centre in the NRL with 10. May has two.

So, based on defence, May is a better tackler, makes less errors and concedes fewer penalties than Tago. Oh, however he does have one more line break cause than Tago.

In attack, May is less effective. With only 1 try, 2 linebreaks, no assists and involvement in only two tries, this is where he needs to improve. Tago with 5 tries, 10 linebreaks and 11 try involvements shows the standard he needs to reach. Mind you, Tago is 4th in the NRL for try involvements and equal first for linebreaks, so is an attacking gun.

As for work rate, he delivers 105m per game compared to Tago 119 and Alamoti 128m. These stats are influenced by linebreaks for tries shown by the fact both Tago and May average 11 runs a game. Alomotti is averaging 13 runs per game.

Is May as good as Tago? Not yet, but he is a better defender and in fact is top ten in the NRL for centre defence. There are two sides to the game and Tago's errors, penalties and try causes negate a lot of his positives in attack. He has been involved in 11 tries but caused 7 to be conceded, net result plus four. May has created two and caused two. Alamoti has been involved in 3 tries, but conceded 4.

You are dismissing somebody who has already shown he can handle the hardest part of being a centre and only played 8 games. Alamoti is demonstrably worse in defence and yet people are wanting to drop May and replace him with Alamoti.

May can become a great centre, he needs time to build up his strength and sharpness after a year out. That said, all of this is moot if he is convicted of domestic violence.

Not sure how it'd effect your analysis but tago got a couple of easy game when eels/broncos had injuries mid game.

Original Name

Juniors
Just realised Luron Patea is signed for 4 years counting this year. I know he's a gun coming through but he must be crazy talented to get a contract that long considering when he signed he barely played any Cup if at all.

The only kid in the squad signed til 27 who hasn't played first grade.

Ok, I can't let this one go. May has played 8 games as a centre. They say defence is the hardest part of being a centre, so lets see how he goes compared to other centres in the NRL. How is he at tackling? His effective tackle percentage is 85%, which places him at 7th in the NRL for centres. Tago's is 82%, Alamoti 81%. Hmm, Ok what about being responsible for tries being scored, try causes is the stat recorded. 2 TC's in 8 games. Tago 7TC's in 9 games, Alamoti is 4 TC's in 4 games. What about line break causes? 5LBC's, Tago 4 LBC's, Alamoti 3 LBC's. That makes May the 39th worst player for line break causes in the NRL.

Hmm, maybe he is an error prone, penalty causing disaster. Well he has 8 errors, one a game that makes him the 21st worst player in the NRL. Tago has 15 errors and Alamoti has 2. As for penalties, Tago is a walking misdemeanour, conceding more penalties than any other centre in the NRL with 10. May has two.

So, based on defence, May is a better tackler, makes less errors and concedes fewer penalties than Tago. Oh, however he does have one more line break cause than Tago.

In attack, May is less effective. With only 1 try, 2 linebreaks, no assists and involvement in only two tries, this is where he needs to improve. Tago with 5 tries, 10 linebreaks and 11 try involvements shows the standard he needs to reach. Mind you, Tago is 4th in the NRL for try involvements and equal first for linebreaks, so is an attacking gun.

As for work rate, he delivers 105m per game compared to Tago 119 and Alamoti 128m. These stats are influenced by linebreaks for tries shown by the fact both Tago and May average 11 runs a game. Alomotti is averaging 13 runs per game.

Is May as good as Tago? Not yet, but he is a better defender and in fact is top ten in the NRL for centre defence. There are two sides to the game and Tago's errors, penalties and try causes negate a lot of his positives in attack. He has been involved in 11 tries but caused 7 to be conceded, net result plus four. May has created two and caused two. Alamoti has been involved in 3 tries, but conceded 4.

You are dismissing somebody who has already shown he can handle the hardest part of being a centre and only played 8 games. Alamoti is demonstrably worse in defence and yet people are wanting to drop May and replace him with Alamoti.

May can become a great centre, he needs time to build up his strength and sharpness after a year out. That said, all of this is moot if he is convicted of domestic violence.
Good perspective. Your last sentence is probably most relevant at this stage though.

Blade23

Juniors
@Blade23 Isaiah Papali'i? Suddenly he is free to enter the market. Timing!

What’s everyone’s opinion on him?

@Blade23 is Papali one of the contracted players that contacted the club?

A few weeks ago his management contacted us about the possibility of him becoming available soon. At the time Fifita was top priority.

I mentioned on the 10 May

Ye of little faith.

The club has a hit list of who they want. Fifita bolted to the top of it.
Just because we missed out on him doesn't mean we don't have other plans. Contracted players are on the list. Off contract players are on it.
Since it was announced Fish was leaving. The club has been contacted by numerous managers offering under-contract players. Terms are always the issue.

If we get who we want we will be fine. If not, there is plan to get through next year and strike 2026.

There are many ways this can play out.

Tupouniua was offered to us. Angus was talked about, Once Fifita back flipped Angus was considered unlikely.
A few other names were offered up. None as good as Papali'i.

At the moment we still have a enough where we could juggle things around for a decent mid-pricer. Where? Another forward mid or cheapie is still preferred to bolster the stock.
What happens to May could change in where those funds are directed. Remaining retention could play a part as well.

Panther Pete

Juniors
A few weeks ago his management contacted us about the possibility of him becoming available soon. At the time Fifita was top priority.

Tupouniua was offered to us. Angus was talked about, Once Fifita back flipped Angus was considered unlikely.

At the moment we still have a enough where we could juggle things around for a decent mid-pricer. Where? Another forward mid or cheapie is still preferred to bolster the stock.
What happens to May could change in where those funds are directed. Remaining retention could play a part as well.
Thanks heaps for the info, loving it!

BxTom

Bench
Well if May goes and Burton wants to come back on that money we get a good centre and reasonable 5/8 who is a good kicking option/alternative.

Thank you. I am reading into this by stating Burton to come if May falls

Pomoz

Bench
Not sure how it'd effect your analysis but tago got a couple of easy game when eels/broncos had injuries mid game.
A good point, that's why I would prefer a seasons results to give a better sample and even out the easy games with the hard games.

We sometimes forget May has only played 8 games. Of course he is a better winger, he played a full season there to learn the position. Based on the trend so far he is an excellent defensive centre. Not good. Excellent. He really needs to work on his attack. Confidence and sharpness will help that. Sadly, there is a chance we won't see him this season on the wing or in the centres.

WestyLife

First Grade
A good point, that's why I would prefer a seasons results to give a better sample and even out the easy games with the hard games.

We sometimes forget May has only played 8 games. Of course he is a better winger, he played a full season there to learn the position. Based on the trend so far he is an excellent defensive centre. Not good. Excellent. He really needs to work on his attack. Confidence and sharpness will help that. Sadly, there is a chance we won't see him this season on the wing or in the centres.

Looks like it might not matter with the news. I don't imagine the legal process will be quick.