What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
Well...yes...there is a question about that.

I'd be fine to get Waddell but he's not better than Garner, he's around the same.

Both are fine, not great players.
Garner certainly scores more tries than Waddell so he has it over him in that department. Lots more.

Based on this year Waddell makes more tackles, efficiency about equal and he averages 105 running metres per game opposed to Garners near 80. Personally I think Waddell is the better of the two but both would only be fringe players With us and neither assists our quest to find suitable replacement for Kikau.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Garner certainly scores more tries than Waddell so he has it over him in that department. Lots more.

Based on this year Waddell makes more tackles, efficiency about equal and he averages 105 running metres per game opposed to Garners near 80. Personally I think Waddell is the better of the two but both would only be fringe players With us and neither assists our quest to find suitable replacement for Kikau.
Kikau can't really be replaced we just need a decent hole runner. Then we change the structure for more early ball to Tago

WestyLife

First Grade

We need a second rower to do a job not replace kikau. You can't and won't replace him with someone even close to the same physicals or skills.

Kilkenny

Coach
We need a second rower to do a job not replace kikau. You can't and won't replace him with someone even close to the same physicals or skills.
We are losing a player who is a huge part of our success. It is surely incumbent upon the powers that be find someone either from within or externally who can provide the same sort of skill set that Kikau possesses. If we don’t we are resigned to being a less potent side and will almost certainly bring us back to the pack so to speak.

Smug Panther

First Grade
We are losing a player who is a huge part of our success. It is surely incumbent upon the powers that be find someone either from within or externally who can provide the same sort of skill set that Kikau possesses. If we don’t we are resigned to being a less potent side and will almost certainly bring us back to the pack so to speak.
That's simply not possible and not how great teams continue to stay on top. Melbourne didn't try go out and get the next Greg Inglis. We need to adapt and evolve

Kilkenny

Coach
Agree. I hope the people on this forum give whoever replaced Kiks a fair go and doesn’t constantly denigrate him because he is not Kiks.
I don’t believe the wider Panthers fan base will denigrate whomever is selected in Kikaus position in 2023 and beyond.

The wider fan base may rightly question the decisions of management, salary cap management and forward planning as they are entitled to. It is an issue that already the subject of much concern and debate Which is understandable.

soc123_au

Staff member
Who might that be? Not too many Kikau types looking for a gig. We will just need to adjust how the left operates.

Kilkenny

Coach
Who might that be? Not too many Kikau types looking for a gig. We will just need to adjust how the left operates.
No good asking me, that is the job for the recruitment and retention committee, brains trust. Doesn’t mean we don’t at the very least try and find someone. We should be moving heaven and earth to find the next Kikau, may not happen but at least we should be trying. Gus brought in Kikau when he was a kid running around in the centres for Nth Queensland. Master stroke by Gus. Time for Matt
Cameron and co to try and do likewise. I don’t agree with this notion we’ll just have to adapt, do the best we can we should be above that now we are a successful club. There are Kikau’s out there we’ve just got to find him.

MugaB

Coach
No good asking me, that is the job for the recruitment and retention committee, brains trust. Doesn’t mean we don’t at the very least try and find someone. We should be moving heaven and earth to find the next Kikau, may not happen but at least we should be trying. Gus brought in Kikau when he was a kid running around in the centres for Nth Queensland. Master stroke by Gus. Time for Matt
Cameron and co to try and do likewise. I don’t agree with this notion we’ll just have to adapt, do the best we can we should be above that now we are a successful club. There are Kikau’s out there we’ve just got to find him.
Scott Sorenson is already there, expect Leniu to take on more minutes, Sorenson on the edge, and Eisenhuth to rotate with Leniu off the bench to give fish and moses a breather..
Its extremely Ivan not to replace his prized position of Second rowing with a newbie from a bottom4 team like the tigers, garner will come off the bench like salmon does now, Sorenson is Kikaus replacement, just as Martin has Capewells this year... its funny but everyone seems to wonder about who takes which spot.. but after 25 rounds of just world beating we are at turtle pace, most of the games are a training run, like that knights game, for sure Sorenson is our back rower next season... its a bit of a downgrade, because kiks has a nice boot and is very instinctive in attack, but Sorenson is just as big, and explosive

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
One won't be unearthed for next year. Longer term, sure, trying to find someone in that mould should be on the agenda. It's not going to be done overnight though.

Kilkenny

Coach
The reality is given our salary cap situation is we somehow have to get Charlie Staines of the books. $300 - $350k for a player who has no way back into our top 17 is unhealthy and we desperately need his money. I’m just not sure there are going to be any takers.

Kilkenny

Coach
One won't be unearthed for next year. Longer term, sure, trying to find someone in that mould should be on the agenda. It's not going to be done overnight though.
Your probably 100% correct, I’m just a little perplexed as to how we got ourselves in this predicament given the fans were led to believe the club was confident of retaining Api and Viliame As was suggested by Fletcher on more than one occasion. I think the fans understood they were going to attract offers that perhaps we may not have been able to match but I think generally the consensus was at the very least we would have retained one of the two. It is what is, but after being unable to retain both the above the media are now promoting a narrative we are struggling to retain Liam Martin, Stephen Crichton, Spencer Lenui and others. Where does it end.

Kilkenny

Coach
We need to get Tyrone May back. Tyrone May covers the spots currently taken up by two players in Kenny and Salmon. I’m sure you will agree Smug!!!!!

Black Panther

Juniors
Billy Burns is a good hole runner, no size comparison to Kikau or even ball skills but had some potential with us. RFM from the Dogs would also be good for the right price. Even with his injury history would be a nice addition I think.

Latest posts