What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

WestyLife

First Grade
Door open for Barrett

The departure of assistant coach Andrew Webster at the end of the season opens the obvious possibility of Trent Barrett returning for a third stint at the Panthers next season.

Barrett’s days as a head coach are most likely over and a return to Penrith would certainly come with his tail between his legs. There are some at the club who believe Barrett’s papers are marked and he shouldn’t be welcomed back, but others – including head coach Ivan Cleary – are understood to be open to at least considering it.

At the moment the focus is on the run to the Finals and Webster is certainly intent on leaving Penrith with another Premiership.

No chance. Pretty sure his time here is done.

hindy111

Post Whore
People have unrealistic expectations.

What other forward is like Kikau?

None. As the comp gets smaller than that size player will die out.

All we need is a forward that makes tackles and can offer something in attack. Take Nanai he made Origin on the back of being a great kick chaser only.

So have them do something very well and we will be fine

Kikau is a freak and there isn't another 2nd rower like him in attack. Defense is a bit average and far better defensive 2nd rowers.
If I had to say whomis closest to him I'd say Fafita

Kilkenny

Coach
Kikau is a freak and there isn't another 2nd rower like him in attack. Defense is a bit average and far better defensive 2nd rowers.
If I had to say whomis closest to him I'd say Fafita
When we brought in the fringe players in Matt E, Scott Sorensen they were considered depth signings and both have been very good at there jobs. Luke Capewell wasn’t really a depth signing he was brought in the fill a spot in our starting 13.

The difference now in the signing of Luke Garner
who is only a depth signing is we are going to be without one of our main attacking strike weapons. Add the loss of Koroisau in the loss category things are looking rather tough for 2023 without two such players who have been critical components of our success.

The suggestion we just need someone to do a job, to counter the loss of Kikau is rather flawed. This notion we just need someone who can make tackles is ridiculous as is the suggestion the game is somehow moving away from the bigger, mobile forwards.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
When we brought in the fringe players in Matt E, Scott Sorensen they were considered depth signings and both have been very good at there jobs. Luke Capewell wasn’t really a depth signing he was brought in the fill a spot in our starting 13.

The difference now in the signing of Luke Garner
who is only a depth signing is we are going to be without one of our main attacking strike weapons. Add the loss of Koroisau in the loss category things are looking rather tough for 2023 without two such players who have been critical components of our success.

The suggestion we just need someone to do a job, to counter the loss of Kikau is rather flawed. This notion we just need someone who can make tackles is ridiculous as is the suggestion the game is somehow moving away from the bigger, mobile forwards.

Yes you most likely won't win 20 games next season. But look at who is behind you and how their squads will shape up. I'm notnaure about other clubs but Eels are losing some of their better players. Who is getting stronger?

Munky

Coach
With Kikau going the team really needs to focus on the right hand side attack in the off season.

Martin and Critter will have played at least a full season next to each other by the time 2023 kicks off and it should be better next year.

If it doesn't improve I wouldn't be resigning either.

age.s

First Grade
Again, its not about getting someone "as good" as Kikau. The list of players in that bracket is pretty much just David Fifita (if even him). Its about having someone with a game oriented in a similar way. Big and powerful rather than a guy who runs clever lines and punches above his weight with the ball. The plan might be for Garner to do what Salmon currently does, but that still leaves us without a crucial cog in our previously deadly left edge.

With hooker we have Luke. He not going to give us Api level quality, but he's got guile, good service, a running game and may surprise us with his defense and engine. I can see him developing into one of the better 9s in the game which would still be a step down but would at least be something.

Latest posts