What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
I understand that May played Hooker as a junior - but there is just no way he can go from making 2 tackles a game on the wing, to making 45+ in the middle in a single off-season. Especially when he will be in England for the World Cup, and won't return to training until January.

In fact, the World Cup is the exact reason why Mitch Kenny will start 2023 as our first choice Hooker. He'll be available for training from November. Soni Luke will likely be playing for Tonga - and again, not back at training until January.

I think the World Cup will actually help Luke. So I am of the opposite he will be hooker because he will get games with and against elite players

Michael Matral

Juniors
Totally agree about Garner, let's reserve judgement until the season starts. His stats are pretty solid in a garbage team. Previous plods have been pilloried on here and then performed admirably, even career best with our team and systems. Those same folks end up on here saying "I was wrong about Salmon", 'Eiso has been huge!' etc. Let's trust in the systems and coaching that has made us the premier team of the last 3 years..

Iamback

Coach
Now the Schoolboys comp is over. I'd play Jack Cole in several positions.

Played 7,6 and centre can goal kick. Could be an option for the bench in coming years

maple_69

Bench
I think its unlikely we'd be playing Luke in reggies for long minutes and Kenny as a bench middle forward in the NRL if the club did not plan on Luke starting at hooker next year. Kenny would at least be getting 20-30 at dummy half in the second half of soft games if we had designs on him being our main hooker but he isn't.

I think its unlikely we'd be playing Luke in reggies for long minutes and Kenny as a bench middle forward in the NRL if the club did not plan on Luke starting at hooker next year. Kenny would at least be getting 20-30 at dummy half in the second half of soft games if we had designs on him being our main hooker but he isn't.
He should be playing 20 mins for a few games after origin to get more of a feel of it for next year.

MugaB

Coach
Before he got injuried, did anyone think Maverick Geyer was going to get a bench spot this year??? Id say next year he might, we all tall about kikaus replacement, and look at who's coming from outside.... Garners ok, but he ain't going to trample and knock out ponga..
Salmons got some time in the squad too, but he aint going to be anything more than a utility..
Sorenson is my pick for 2nd row, although being a bench prop has worked wonders for out rotation, hell leniu can take more minutes, and leave scott on the edge next season

Iamback

Coach
Before he got injuried, did anyone think Maverick Geyer was going to get a bench spot this year??? Id say next year he might, we all tall about kikaus replacement, and look at who's coming from outside.... Garners ok, but he ain't going to trample and knock out ponga..
Salmons got some time in the squad too, but he aint going to be anything more than a utility..
Sorenson is my pick for 2nd row, although being a bench prop has worked wonders for out rotation, hell leniu can take more minutes, and leave scott on the edge next season

no. His defence is too bad another off season will do him good

Kilkenny

Coach
Maverick Geyer has hovered between NSW Cup and Flegg.

He is some way off NRL, May not make it to NRL. Time will tell. He has a lot of work to do on his game. Another full off season should benefit his development hopefully.

Kilkenny

Coach
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of bringing CHN home to start him at left second row.
Again CHN is no Kikau, but he is a very good player. Not sure why he seems to have been left out of the Raiders top 17 in recent weeks only Ricky can answer that I guess.

I think it would be great to see him back, but realistically I don’t think it will happen. Probably on too much coin for us to make a play for him.

Original Name

Juniors
Again CHN is no Kikau, but he is a very good player. Not sure why he seems to have been left out of the Raiders top 17 in recent weeks only Ricky can answer that I guess.

I think it would be great to see him back, but realistically I don’t think it will happen. Probably on too much coin for us to make a play for him.
Raiders are playing him in reggies. If he's on that much coin they might be looking to get rid of him and pay some freight to free up space for their 17.

Iamback

Coach
People have unrealistic expectations.

What other forward is like Kikau?

None. As the comp gets smaller than that size player will die out.

All we need is a forward that makes tackles and can offer something in attack. Take Nanai he made Origin on the back of being a great kick chaser only.

So have them do something very well and we will be fine

GowersDallyM

Juniors
After origin 2 and 3 I think Critter can be offloaded...he will be asking for big coin and after seeing him in origin and in club land he doesn't live upto his over hyped name unfortunately. Bring Burton back..

Abacus

Juniors
After origin 2 and 3 I think Critter can be offloaded...he will be asking for big coin and after seeing him in origin and in club land he doesn't live upto his over hyped name unfortunately. Bring Burton back..
Agree. Circumstances have changed since we signed him and we now need to prioritise other areas. If we can utilise his $650k to strengthen the team elsewhere (hooker in particular, then 2nd row) and bring Turuva or Jenkins into the centres, I'd be prepared to let him explore opportunities at other clubs.

Whino

Bench
Door open for Barrett

The departure of assistant coach Andrew Webster at the end of the season opens the obvious possibility of Trent Barrett returning for a third stint at the Panthers next season.

Barrett’s days as a head coach are most likely over and a return to Penrith would certainly come with his tail between his legs. There are some at the club who believe Barrett’s papers are marked and he shouldn’t be welcomed back, but others – including head coach Ivan Cleary – are understood to be open to at least considering it.

At the moment the focus is on the run to the Finals and Webster is certainly intent on leaving Penrith with another Premiership.

Latest posts