What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

betcats

Referee
I don't think Garner will turn into Capewell though. He was taken from a benchie to starting QLD backrow and probably Australia at years end. Not many turn out that good.

I dont think we will get another capewell out of him either but im fairly confident when can get him to a level that he doesnt look out of place in our 17, he has enough ability to be a good first grader I think.

Sime_11

Juniors
Garner will be fine - he wont be the intimidating 2nd rower Kikau is but that's why Kikau will be earning elite coin and why Garner will be earning squaddie coin.

he'll earn a place in the top 17 and do his job - we arent buying Luke Garner to build our attack through him.

the last Tigers reject to come to Penrith kept his spot in 17 and won a ring - anything is possible with the right attitude and team culture.

Garner will be fine - he wont be the intimidating 2nd rower Kikau is but that's why Kikau will be earning elite coin and why Garner will be earning squaddie coin.

he'll earn a place in the top 17 and do his job - we arent buying Luke Garner to build our attack through him.

the last Tigers reject to come to Penrith kept his spot in 17 and won a ring - anything is possible with the right attitude and team culture.
You talking Paul Clarke? Man you’re going back a long way…..

flash

Juniors
Rate your tigers rejects

I'll leave out the 2 premiership winners, and international captain, Nobby, Momo, Whizz

Garner has a good chance at no.1 to be honest, its a tight competition...

1. Sita Akauola
2. Ben Murdoch-Masila
3. Morvin Edwards
4. Mark O'Halloran
5. Marty Moore
6. Danie Laurie (the OG)

Smug Panther

First Grade
Rate your tigers rejects

I'll leave out the 2 premiership winners, and international captain, Nobby, Momo, Whizz

Garner has a good chance at no.1 to be honest, its a tight competition...

1. Sita Akauola
2. Ben Murdoch-Masila
3. Morvin Edwards
4. Mark O'Halloran
5. Marty Moore
6. Danie Laurie (the OG)
Yuck

Munky

Coach
O'Halloran has to be close to one of the worst players I've seen live.

Him and Brendon Worth (I think both signed the same year?) weren't even up to plodder level.

O'Halloran was just too slow to be an outside back and no where big enough for the pack.

While Worth didn't have any of the attributes to be a first grader.

It's a shame Ivan never got to coach Danny Galea, he'd be his favourite player given his centre/second row position.

soc123_au

Staff member
If we were to get another from the Tigers I wouldn't mind Nu Brown at the right money. He has looked decent the few games I've seen him play. He was supposed to be the next big thing at the Sharks a few years ago but had a serious injury that kept him out of the game for a few years iirc. With Api going there he might be looking for a shot.

Original Name

Juniors
Hastings would be a great option to replace Api
It takes a rare halfback to be fine with playing hooker unless it's rep footy. Hooker is the toughest job on a league field. Nobody besides crazy people tackle props 40 times unless they have to. Most halfbacks would probably have a laugh if you suggested they switch of their own choice.

Hooker is also the second least paid position compared to HB which is the highest.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Just means Tago and May will need earlier ball. Will be a good test for Luai

All starts from the 9... And where our problem lies

Yeo will give those guys early ball. Luai will have less options though. Provided the hooker puts it where Yeo needs it

It takes a rare halfback to be fine with playing hooker unless it's rep footy. Hooker is the toughest job on a league field. Nobody besides crazy people tackle props 40 times unless they have to. Most halfbacks would probably have a laugh if you suggested they switch of their own choice.

Hooker is also the second least paid position compared to HB which is the highest.
Put May in there and bring Turuva to the wing.

age.s

First Grade
The question isn't whether Garner can provide some value to the squad as a budget signing, its how badly we need another plod squaddie vs someone with Kikau type (if not Kikau level) impact on the edge.

Its similar with Kenny. I love the idea of having Kenny in my squad, I loathe the idea of having Kenny as my first choice 9.

Iamback

Coach
The question isn't whether Garner can provide some value to the squad as a budget signing, its how badly we need another plod squaddie vs someone with Kikau type (if not Kikau level) impact on the edge.

Its similar with Kenny. I love the idea of having Kenny in my squad, I loathe the idea of having Kenny as my first choice 9.

I am still not convinced Garner isn't coming to take over the Salmon role. Which like Kenny is a better fit.

I have said for a few years now Lisati is the long term replacement we have. NSW Cup ran him at left 2nd row on the weekend too. Tago would still be my choice next year though

snickers007

Juniors
Put May in there and bring Turuva to the wing.

I understand that May played Hooker as a junior - but there is just no way he can go from making 2 tackles a game on the wing, to making 45+ in the middle in a single off-season. Especially when he will be in England for the World Cup, and won't return to training until January.

In fact, the World Cup is the exact reason why Mitch Kenny will start 2023 as our first choice Hooker. He'll be available for training from November. Soni Luke will likely be playing for Tonga - and again, not back at training until January.