What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Munky

Coach
Turpin is unwanted by the Broncos.

I think he has shown only pure plod but has had shit coaching.

Worth a minimum contract?

Charlies Staines is a good chance to come on board for 2023 but only if Panthers come to the party. Club is willing to match his salary at Panthers over 2 years if Panthers put in $150k for year 1 & 100k for year 2. So far this has been well received.

Nope, no good

Kilkenny

Coach
I still rate Staines a guy that can be an excellent first grader but it’s pretty clear our system is not well suited to him. He’s never going to be a battering ram workhorse and that’s simply how we employ our back 3. He really needs to choose his next contract wisely.
The suggestion around us paying $150k on the last year of his deal and another $100k for a season beyond his current deal frankly makes no business sense at all. Just keep Staines and when he is off contract at the end of next season we’ll he can look after himself. I understand our cap may be tight, we may need funds to retain Crichton, Martin etc but seriously I kinda over the topping up contracts for players to play elsewhere, is saving $150k gonna make that much of a difference in the scheme of things.

You'd think a few % not anything of note

If there was a clause in a players contract, it would be to maintain the contract at the same percentage of the cap. So if player X was earning $1 million out of a $9 million cap, he’d then get $1.155m out of a 10.5m cap. Ie. the same 11.11% of the cap.

Munky

Coach
I’d think a lot of players contracts are pegged to the cap. If the cap goes up, their pay goes up. So it’s not a given we’d have the money spare.

It'd be negligence from managers to not have a clause.

I'd sue the shit out of mine if my artificially limited remuneration didn't go up at the same rate as the salary cap.

The Realist

Juniors
I still rate Staines a guy that can be an excellent first grader but it’s pretty clear our system is not well suited to him. He’s never going to be a battering ram workhorse and that’s simply how we employ our back 3. He really needs to choose his next contract wisely.

Nathan and also Tyrone May used him quite effectively in limited 2020 and 2021. Both threw numerous cut out passes to him where only his speed (in our team) allowed him to score or cause a linebreak. He has good positioning skills and reads the game well.

Currently lacks physicality and also doesn't appear to have much in terms of evasive maneuvers (step, jink etc).

I see the Storm signing him for very cheap. Bellamy is the type of coach who likes raw speed in his wingers and has the ability to improve a stalling player like Staines.

I'd sue the shit out of mine if my artificially limited remuneration didn't go up at the same rate as the salary cap.

Yeah it’d be a really basic clause. Plus the manager gets more money this way as well. You’d have to be really incompetent not to demand that clause in a contract.

Iamback

Coach
If there was a clause in a players contract, it would be to maintain the contract at the same percentage of the cap. So if player X was earning $1 million out of a $9 million cap, he’d then get $1.155m out of a 10.5m cap. Ie. the same 11.11% of the cap.

Cleary would have it.

Yeo and Luai signed a while back, how far back does it go? Would them signing in 2020 have the clause in?

had mainly mid tier players sign recently, unlikely Tago has it, they'd expect it to get fixed up when he is due an extension this time next year

WestyLife

First Grade
Should be some fringe signing news soon. Or very least agreeing to terms and announcement end of the season.
Madden deal almost done.

Staines getting further out the door. Don't like his destination though.

Poor Staines. It's been obvious he's not quite good enough for our 17 for a while but wish he'd at least have a bit of a career somewhere like Egan has.

WestyLife

First Grade
Sounds like it's either or.

Honestly we don't have the cap space to keep him. Difference between re signing origin players and not.

Added to that the kids coming through. One of the challenging things about being a development club. Need players coming out of the top, when they either don't work out, or become too expensive.

Good luck Charlie.

Spot on. Still sad about it but have to be realistic.

BxTom

Bench
Poor Staines. It's been obvious he's not quite good enough for our 17 for a while but wish he'd at least have a bit of a career somewhere like Egan has.
Agree, after he bulked up a little in the off season I thought he'd rip in, but our style of play doesn't suit him and only God (or Yeo) is worthy enough to replace Dylan which is his position. I think, in the right team, he could be a very good player. I wish him well.

Pomoz

Bench
The suggestion around us paying $150k on the last year of his deal and another $100k for a season beyond his current deal frankly makes no business sense at all. Just keep Staines and when he is off contract at the end of next season we’ll he can look after himself. I understand our cap may be tight, we may need funds to retain Crichton, Martin etc but seriously I kinda over the topping up contracts for players to play elsewhere, is saving $150k gonna make that much of a difference in the scheme of things.
That's not quite right. If he is paid 500k and the club pay 150k and 100k, the club saves 350k year one and 400k year two. If the rumours are true and the Roosters have signed Jaxon Paulo then maybe Souths will want him.

He is a first grade quality winger and still has some improvement in him. He would be a good addition for most of the clubs outside the top eight.

BxTom

Bench
That's not quite right. If he is paid 500k and the club pay 150k and 100k, the club saves 350k year one and 400k year two. If the rumours are true and the Roosters have signed Jaxon Paulo then maybe Souths will want him.

He is a first grade quality winger and still has some improvement in him. He would be a good addition for most of the clubs outside the top eight.
Staines contract runs out at the end of 2023 so the 100k would be a 100% loss.

Iamback

Coach

The top tier guys 100% have it.

Minimum wage goes up.

Guys on the $200-$400k bracket wouldn't as they are trying to get established and make it up once they become regulars

Kilkenny

Coach

I was working on the assumption his contract is $325-$350k. The 500k a season suggested in the media is surely beyond ridiculous. He’s only got one more season on his current deal so year two doesn’t apply.

Latest posts