What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Pomoz

Bench
Staines contract runs out at the end of 2023 so the 100k would be a 100% loss.
I forgot he only has one year left. In total, if he stays we pay $500k, if he goes we pay $250k. Total saving $250K. More likely he is on much less than that and we contribute a lot less.

maple_69

Bench
If he’s not in the plans for next year and the club is happy with Turuva/Jenkins as our backup backs then I’d be happy to kick in $80K to free up some space to keep key players. $350K - $80K - $120K (min wage replacement) leaves $150K extra to top up Dyl say. If it’s to give Martin or Crichton more than $500 & $650 respectively then I’d rather hang onto Charlie.

Whino

Bench
Sounds like we could be paying the Tigers $100k for 2024 just to get the deal done. Which is strange when he is not contracted to us. Unless he has an unreported player option for 2024?

Pomoz

Bench
I was working on the assumption his contract is $325-$350k. The 500k a season suggested in the media is surely beyond ridiculous. He’s only got one more season on his current deal so year two doesn’t apply.
The average wage for the 36th or lower wingers in the NRL, remembering that only 32 wingers start every week, is $147,180. That is an official NRL salary number. The best paid wingers are on an average of $451,602. Charlie must be rated in the top 40 wingers in the NRL so he is worth at least 150K, so a top up of $150k makes sense. But you would pay nothing in 2024.

Even the wingers between 46 and 40 are paid an average of $127k, so a top up by us of $250k is foolish (sorry Blade).

If he is going to play fullback then all bets are off. The 16th rated (therefore a starting) fullback in the NRL is paid an average of $269k. We shouldn't pay a cent in top up if he gong somewhere as a fullback. I would have that written in any contract I had for top up. If he is selected as a fullback, the top up is reduced.

Pomoz

Bench
But he's not on close to 500k. Please stop repeating that nonsense
You need to read the whole quote.
..... More likely he is on much less than that and we contribute a lot less.

and the post before.
The average wage for the 36th or lower wingers in the NRL, remembering that only 32 wingers start every week, is $147,180. That is an official NRL salary number. The best paid wingers are on an average of $451,602. Charlie must be rated in the top 40 wingers in the NRL so he is worth at least 150K, so a top up of $150k makes sense. But you would pay nothing in 2024.

Even the wingers between 46 and 40 are paid an average of $127k, so a top up by us of $250k is foolish (sorry Blade).

If he is going to play fullback then all bets are off. The 16th rated (therefore a starting) fullback in the NRL is paid an average of $269k. We shouldn't pay a cent in top up if he gong somewhere as a fullback. I would have that written in any contract I had for top up. If he is selected as a fullback, the top up is reduced.

Big Mick

Referee
The suggestion around us paying $150k on the last year of his deal and another $100k for a season beyond his current deal frankly makes no business sense at all. Just keep Staines and when he is off contract at the end of next season we’ll he can look after himself. I understand our cap may be tight, we may need funds to retain Crichton, Martin etc but seriously I kinda over the topping up contracts for players to play elsewhere, is saving $150k gonna make that much of a difference in the scheme of things.
I agree with this.

If he's on $350k, we'll be topping up $250k essentially over 2 years....

Like...what's the point of that?

maple_69

Bench
More than anything the suggestion that we would top up over two years demonstrates the story is just made up. No deal is ever extending past the terms of the contract.
I’d say there could have been a Tigers request for Penrith to kick in $150 for 2023 and we countered with $100.

I’m kinda stunned it could even be within the rules that a club could pay some of a *new* contract at another club. I understand paying some of the existing deal, but paying some of the new deal seems a bit a shady.

soc123_au

Staff member
More than anything the suggestion that we would top up over two years demonstrates the story is just made up. No deal is ever extending past the terms of the contract.
I’d say there could have been a Tigers request for Penrith to kick in $150 for 2023 and we countered with $100.
You would think so, but iirc we were paying RCG in the first year of his second deal with Parra. How that was possible I have no idea, but apparently it happened.

You would think so, but iirc we were paying RCG in the first year of his second deal with Parra. How that was possible I have no idea, but apparently it happened.

I‘ve read so many different stories in relation to RCG’s contract. If you look when Penrith re-signed him in 2018 all the reports were that it was until the end of 2024. But then last year he signed a 3 year extension with Parra until the end of 2025. So maybe there was a team option for a couple of years? I’ve also been told 2022 is the last year we’d pay him, but I read an article saying we’d still be paying $250k per year until the end of 2024. I can’t work it out. Maybe @Blade23 knows what’s up.

Latest posts