What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Blade23

Juniors
I‘ve read so many different stories in relation to RCG’s contract. If you look when Penrith re-signed him in 2018 all the reports were that it was until the end of 2024. But then last year he signed a 3 year extension with Parra until the end of 2025. So maybe there was a team option for a couple of years? I’ve also been told 2022 is the last year we’d pay him, but I read an article saying we’d still be paying $250k per year until the end of 2024. I can’t work it out. Maybe @Blade23 knows what’s up.

Our contribution to RCG ends this year. Just don't tell James Hooper he still thinks we are contributing perpetually :)

Smug Panther

First Grade
I'm not expecting Kenny to create, as much as take the heat off early in the match with his hard hitting defence.

His service from dummy half is quite good also.

I'm expecting Luke to come on after about 20-25 mins against tiring forwards to create.
Thats not good enough for big games and especially finals

He started every game for Manly is ‘19, so not exactly under-utilised, but Des didn’t think he was good enough and he had been told that he was going to play second fiddle to the young kid the year after. Des got it wrong, but was that talent identification or coaching? I would suggest it is the latter

I’m no Hasler fan but it’s a bit much to throw him under the bus for letting Koroisau walk. I doubt he predicted his star replacement was going to stab somebody in the off-season.

I’m no Hasler fan but it’s a bit much to throw him under the bus for letting Koroisau walk. I doubt he predicted his star replacement was going to stab somebody in the off-season.
I’m not highlighting Manley’s hookers woes, only just that Des thought that a young Fainu was better than Api. Again, using this as an example that Api’s performance over the past three years has been improved materially due to being part of our system and coaching rather than just pure talent, which is what provides me confidence that the loss of Api won’t be as fatal as others on this forum.

maple_69

Bench
It’s obviously the biggest challenge the club has faced in this period of domination. I think we have the class elsewhere to go with the top sides but none of us know whether we’ll miss that quality at dummy half in the big games. Last year Api was playing a very simple game because Nath was on fire. We’ll obviously need Nath back to that level regardless of how Luke/Kenny goes.

While I’m in the optimistic camp (given the strength elsewhere in the squad) Id absolutely throw a big money contract at Robson for 24 at the expense of star outside backs and forwards. Hard to see the club making that play when it’d likely take more for Robson than it would have cost to keep Api though.

It’s obviously the biggest challenge the club has faced in this period of domination. I think we have the class elsewhere to go with the top sides but none of us know whether we’ll miss that quality at dummy half in the big games. Last year Api was playing a very simple game because Nath was on fire. We’ll obviously need Nath back to that level regardless of how Luke/Kenny goes.

While I’m in the optimistic camp (given the strength elsewhere in the squad) Id absolutely throw a big money contract at Robson for 24 at the expense of star outside backs and forwards. Hard to see the club making that play when it’d likely take more for Robson than it would have cost to keep Api though.
The only hookers I would throw big money at personally are Grant or Brayley (of either variety).

Given Mitch Kenny’s limited game, I think Soni Luke will really push him for the main role next year. They’re probably both going to play, but it won’t surprise me to see Luke get most of the minutes.

Original Name

Juniors
Both Luke and Kenny have some stuff they'll need to work on. With that said defence is the most important aspect of Rugby League. As a bigger body and a better more aggressive tackler Kenny will definitely play the majority of the minutes. Defence being the most important thing is something all players and staff agree on. If that doesn't happen it would be extremely out of character compared to what Ivan has coached like his entire career.

Both Luke and Kenny have some stuff they'll need to work on. With that said defence is the most important aspect of Rugby League. As a bigger body and a better more aggressive tackler Kenny will definitely play the majority of the minutes. Defence being the most important thing is something all players and staff agree on. If that doesn't happen it would be extremely out of character compared to what Ivan has coached like his entire career.

Soni Luke’s NSW Cup tackle efficiency is very good, he’s also had similar numbers in his (limited) FG appearances. As long as he isn’t a defensive liability, his vastly better attacking game should put him over the top. In the modern game hooker is an attacking position, selecting someone because they’re purely a good defender would ignore a key to our success over the past 3 seasons.

Look at Brandon Smith vs Harry Grant. Smith is the much bigger player, tackles harder and is a good defender. But Grant is a much better attacking hooker. Now obviously neither Luke or Kenny are as good as those blokes, but Smith would only be favoured over Grant if Grant was a defensive liability. Maybe Luke does prove to be a liability in defence, but unless he does, I think he‘ll win the most minutes out of his superior attacking talent.

Soni Luke has had 19 try assists, 4 tries and 7 forced drop outs in NSW cup. He’s much more well rounded than Kenny.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
Even got them to pay freight 🤣

You are joking.
Took a bit of digging
Rothfield article September 2020 via Reddit.
Confirms Blade's posts about Manly's contribution and confirms RCG and Blake off the books end of this year.

News Corp can reveal the Panthers are paying for James Maloney ($200k) in the UK Super League and Waqa Blake ($200k) and Reagan Campbell-Gillard at the Parramatta Eels ($300k).

All three, originally signed by Phil Gould, were released to allow Ivan Cleary to put his own stamp on the roster and assemble the most exciting young NRL team in years.

The Panthers had to use salary cap space for three players aren’t with them any more.

However in an extraordinary bonus, it can be revealed the Manly Sea Eagles are contributing $100k to the $500k contract of hooker Api Koroisau, the NRL’s buy of the year.

It is an embarrassing recruitment blunder for Manly, even more so with the revelation they are paying 20 per cent of his contract at the Panthers.

Still, the salary cap pressure is only going to get tougher for Penrith.

Because Gould put Blake and Campbell-Gillard on long-term contracts, Penrith will be paying a good portion of their salaries for another two years at the Eels.

Last edited:

The yak

Juniors
Took a bit of digging
Rothfield article September 2020 via Reddit.
Confirms Blade's posts about Manly's contribution and confirms RCG and Blake off the books end of this year.

News Corp can reveal the Panthers are paying for James Maloney ($200k) in the UK Super League and Waqa Blake ($200k) and Reagan Campbell-Gillard at the Parramatta Eels ($300k).

All three, originally signed by Phil Gould, were released to allow Ivan Cleary to put his own stamp on the roster and assemble the most exciting young NRL team in years.

The Panthers had to use salary cap space for three players aren’t with them any more.

However in an extraordinary bonus, it can be revealed the Manly Sea Eagles are contributing $100k to the $500k contract of hooker Api Koroisau, the NRL’s buy of the year.

It is an embarrassing recruitment blunder for Manly, even more so with the revelation they are paying 20 per cent of his contract at the Panthers.

Still, the salary cap pressure is only going to get tougher for Penrith.

Because Gould put Blake and Campbell-Gillard on long-term contracts, Penrith will be paying a good portion of their salaries for another two years at the Eels.

A beautiful piece of business done with the Api deal from Manly. Probably one of the best in the club’s history.